PDA

View Full Version : How to wash a muddy truck?

Pages : [1] 2

dthor68
02-13-2016, 11:13 AM
This spring I plan on polishing my CRV. I would like to keep it swirl free as long as I can. I do a lot of off road driving visiting our natural world, It will get very dirty. What are the proper techniques for washing a muddy truck to keep the swirl marks to a minimum?

I am sure this has been discussed here, sorry. I am having many problems with this site. When I type anything in the search I get a server error. When I hit the "upload photos" button, it opens up thousands of upload photo pages!

Anyway, trying to get as much info as I can and appreciate any help or links to prior discussions.

Derek

fly07sti
02-13-2016, 11:30 AM
Welcome Derek. My first recommendation would be to apply a coating of your choice to help with the release of mid and dirt after your excursions.
I'd also invest in a pressure washer to knock as much of the muck of before your wash regime. You'll be surprised at how easy it will be to wash after you've pressure washed it.

pilotpip
02-13-2016, 11:38 AM
How I do it:

Start with a pressure washer on the underside of the truck to knock the muck off.

I then spray the body of the truck down twice.

I use the two bucket method. As I go to each panel I rinse, then wet the next panel to be washed. I go top to bottom. I have a second MF mitt for the running boards/fender wells because I don't want minimize the chances of scratching from all the dirt picked up.

Dry with MF towels to a little damp.

Finish drying with spray wax (using Griots Garage right now)

This got a lot easier after I applied a sealant (again, griots garage but there are many good options for sale here).

Paul A.
02-13-2016, 11:44 AM
I agree with the pressure wash method. Knock as much off as possible with that first. I would then foam it up with a good car soap, let it dwell but not DRY! Then rinse again. After i have done those first steps i would proceed to my 2 bucket wash.

Then, like fly said, get a good LSP on there if not already.

Ebg18t
02-13-2016, 02:17 PM
Pressure washer.

dthor68
02-13-2016, 03:58 PM
Welcome Derek. My first recommendation would be to apply a coating of your choice to help with the release of mid and dirt after your excursions.
I'd also invest in a pressure washer to knock as much of the muck of before your wash regime. You'll be surprised at how easy it will be to wash after you've pressure washed it.

Thank You Fly, can you give me an example of a coating, a specific brand name?

dthor68
02-13-2016, 04:02 PM
How I do it:

Start with a pressure washer on the underside of the truck to knock the muck off.

I then spray the body of the truck down twice.

I use the two bucket method. As I go to each panel I rinse, then wet the next panel to be washed. I go top to bottom. I have a second MF mitt for the running boards/fender wells because I don't want minimize the chances of scratching from all the dirt picked up.

Dry with MF towels to a little damp.

Finish drying with spray wax (using Griots Garage right now)

This got a lot easier after I applied a sealant (again, griots garage but there are many good options for sale here).

Thank You Pilot, is the sealant you speak of the same as the coating fly spoke of?

dthor68
02-13-2016, 04:05 PM
I agree with the pressure wash method. Knock as much off as possible with that first. I would then foam it up with a good car soap, let it dwell but not DRY! Then rinse again. After i have done those first steps i would proceed to my 2 bucket wash.

Then, like fly said, get a good LSP on there if not already.

Thanks Puckman. I take it that LSP, coating and sealant are all the same thing?

dthor68
02-13-2016, 04:14 PM
I appreciate the replies.

Here is what I have got so far.

1. After initial washing, apply some sort of coating, sealant or LSP.
2. Add mud, dirt and grime.
3. Spray down well with pressure washer.
4. Wash with two bucket system.
5. Re-apply sealant, LSP type coating.

Easy enough. I guess now I have to figure out what a good sealant, LSP coating is? Appreciate recommendations.

mires
02-13-2016, 04:16 PM
Thanks Puckman. I take it that LSP, coating and sealant are all the same thing?

LSP stands for "last step product" meaning wax, sealant, coating....

The terminology can be a little confusing as some people use them interchangeably. Coatings are generally pricy and a little harder to apply but will last much longer than a wax or synthetic sealant. All depends on what route you want to go.

pilotpip
02-13-2016, 05:16 PM
Mires did a good job explaining it. I used griots garage paint sealant. A little went a long way. The bottle should last through at least two more applications on my truck and car combined. I did this back in November and it's holding up pretty well. When I can wash (it's below freezing right now) I use meguiars ultimate wash and wax and apply griots spray wax as I dry to get rid of water spots and add a little more protection and shine.

I don't know if I would do a coating on my truck. They're pretty expensive, but the fact that they last well over a year is appealing. Right now, I enjoy detailing, and will try different products from time to time.

Why do I use Griots Garage? Because a couple friends with nice cars swear by their products. I also like that I can pick most of their line up at the local parts store. Meguiars is good too. I got a can of DP Max Wax as a free gift with an order here, I like it too. It's amazing how much better these products work than the turtle wax and armor all that used to be in my garage.

PandaSauce
02-13-2016, 06:02 PM
I've gotten my FJ dirtier than you will ever care to get your CRV.

I was stuck in mud almost as high as my tires once. Chunks of mud were falling out of my frame and undercarriage for a long time.

The biggest thing that has helped in cleaning has been sealant and wax. I haven't coated yet, but just sealant and wax goes a long way.

After I go out mudding and wheeling I usually don't get around to washing for 1 or 2 weeks and the sprayer at the coin wash gets it near perfect without touching the paint. Then I can come home and do a 2 bucket wash and re-dress the trim and it looks as good as new.

Souldetailer
02-13-2016, 06:04 PM
Hey Derek,

I think we all agree that a thorough "pre wash" with a pressure washer or rugular hose is necessary. However, I myself, would advise a more of a cascading rinse than a power blast. Paint loves a little tenderness. Like previous posts, hook up with a good LSP,
don't worry about the dirt, and show a little care when cleaning.
Good luck & take care.

Peace,

Darrin

Mike@ShineStruck
02-14-2016, 04:59 AM
I've gotten my FJ dirtier than you will ever care to get your CRV.

I was stuck in mud almost as high as my tires once. Chunks of mud were falling out of my frame and undercarriage for a long time.

The biggest thing that has helped in cleaning has been sealant and wax. I haven't coated yet, but just sealant and wax goes a long way.

After I go out mudding and wheeling I usually don't get around to washing for 1 or 2 weeks and the sprayer at the coin wash gets it near perfect without touching the paint. Then I can come home and do a 2 bucket wash and re-dress the trim and it looks as good as new.

I've been stuck as high as the bumper in my lifted 92 Toyota lol
Man I miss offroading

PandaSauce
02-14-2016, 11:01 AM
I've been stuck as high as the bumper in my lifted 92 Toyota lol

Man I miss offroading

It's always a good time.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160214/dd3e122bc188e5cdf75eed83973736d0.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160214/b11f9249186f6e4eee131274b3424bc0.jpg