PDA

View Full Version : New 2016 3500 Ram, need some direction

Pages : [1] 2

Barefoot
02-13-2016, 03:11 AM
After months of back and forth, hours upon hours of research, and 3 deals backed out of over the last 3 months, I finally purchased my 2016 3500 Longhorn Cummings with the Aisin (8ft bed). I got the Luxury Brown with the Cattle Tan interior.

I can not bet happier. SO now what?

looking for advice for exterior/interior care. I spend Quite a pretty penny on this Truck (72k Sticker), and would like to keep her looking beautiful. Any suggestions on a High end quality Leather treatment?

What about exterior paint? I remember years back when I bought my Wife her Navigator, she opted for a exterior treatment, I think called Zylon, that added additional protection layers for the vehicle. Does something like this still exist?

Thank you in advance guys! She's only 3 days old!

ScottH
02-13-2016, 07:12 AM
Barefoot congratukations on the purchase - that is one heck of a truck. With the Aisin I think you have the DRW? Since it is a very large truck, detailing it with regular washes, waxing etc. will require a significant investment in time and effort. Not a bad thing, most of us are on the forum because that is what we enjoy, but we know not everyone has that level of time but still care about their vehicles.

Search the forums for paint coatings and paint sealants. For the most part both offer greater protection durability over a conventional wax. The good news is you can layer a wax over either for added beauty and protection.

As far as leather conditioner, I use Pinnacle's leather cleaner/conditioner combo. Because the truck is new, you might not need the cleaner aspect of the product just yet, but you soon will, and this offers both in one product that happens to be on sale this weekend here at AGO. Pinnacle Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - Agreed upon by leather care pros world wide, leather requires both cleaning and conditioning to keep it (http://www.autogeek.net/pileclco.html)

Best wishes and post some pics ... We love pics!

ScottH

GSKR
02-13-2016, 08:32 AM
After months of back and forth, hours upon hours of research, and 3 deals backed out of over the last 3 months, I finally purchased my 2016 3500 Longhorn Cummings with the Aisin (8ft bed). I got the Luxury Brown with the Cattle Tan interior.

I can not bet happier. SO now what?

looking for advice for exterior/interior care. I spend Quite a pretty penny on this Truck (72k Sticker), and would like to keep her looking beautiful. Any suggestions on a High end quality Leather treatment?

What about exterior paint? I remember years back when I bought my Wife her Navigator, she opted for a exterior treatment, I think called Zylon, that added additional protection layers for the vehicle. Does something like this still exist?

Thank you in advance guys! She's only 3 days old!is this for work or leisure?

davidc
02-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Please, Please do not call it a Cummings. It is a Cummins

Dave

davidc
02-13-2016, 10:04 AM
Congrats on the truck, some resources you may check

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
Turbo Diesel Register - TDR Roundtable - The Turbo Diesel Register (http://www.turbodieselregister.com/)
Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel and Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Parts, Accessories and Tech Info (http://www.genosgarage.com/)

I know you are under warranty for now but in the future if you work on vehicles parts etc. are cheaper from Cummins or genosgarage.com than from the Dealer. I have had a Cummins since 99 and will probably get buried in it unless my Daughter gets to it first. She Loves that truck.

Dave

RAMRebel
02-13-2016, 10:33 AM
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the new truck!!

I just bought a new 2016 RAM Rebel in December and had the same questions on how to get off on the right foot with a new vehicle. Luckily you came to the right place, TONS of great advice here and awesome people on the forum to help out to boot...

I used the links below to get started, lots of great advice, the "How-to" section really helped me out...

How to Articles - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/36137-how-properly-clean-protect-maintain-wheels-tires.html

ScottH
02-13-2016, 11:24 AM
I also wanted to mention its also a good idea to clay bar the truck. Although its new, you would be surprised how many contaminents have already found their way onto the paint.

pilotpip
02-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Clay the truck as mentioned. I was amazed how much crud was picked up, even though I do it about every 6 months.

I'll also say that it's much easier to keep clean once you have a quality sealant on it. Easy on/easy off is essential as that's a lot of paint to work.

I use the two bucket method as described here but I have two MF mitts. One for the body, one for the lower portion around the fenders and running boards as an attempt to keep trapped dirt from marring.

Invest in a decent step ladder that allows you to reach the roof and is easy to carry around too.

Bill1234
02-13-2016, 12:23 PM
Welcome to the forum. I am more of a Ford truck fan myself but congrats on the new vehicle.

To start I would say this. Only go to the dealer for repairs and oil changes. Do not go to them for detailing services. They are not so good in this category and usually destroy paint with a rotary.

Care is simple for any automobile but you have to just do it and do it right.

Being that it is a new vehicle you still need to do a good amount of work.

I would work it out like this

Wash your truck with two buckets, grit guards in the buckets and microfiber mitt. >Decontaminate the vehicle with an iron dissolving product and then clay the paint. >Polish your paint with a Dual action polisher and pads>Seal the paint or put two layers of a good wax on, Collinite is my favorite and extremely durable.

Ziylon is an over glorified paint sealent that dealers up sell to make a killing on when its really just crap. Example such as collinite 476s is about 25 dollars and last a year and you can buy a lot of cans of it for the amount you paid at the dealer.

DeansDetailing
02-13-2016, 02:40 PM
Sounds like a beast and brown isn't a very common color which is cool. Post some pics if you can!

Cabrio
02-13-2016, 03:33 PM
Welcome and congratulations on the new truck!

As Pilotpp mentions, the two bucket system is probably one of the most important techniques you can use - don't forget to use grit guards. You could also look to get a foam gun and I agree that you should take this opportunity to clay to your truck. Since your truck is new, now would also be a great opportunity to use a coating without having to do any paint correction. Having the coating with really make your truck shine while also helping to protect it from swirls and scratches.

New truck + claying + coating + two bucket system/foam gun...that could be like a marine in a avatar body...a potent combination - lol.

Buster906
02-15-2016, 02:36 PM
I see much referral to clay bars, in my opinion their time is passed. I prefer the Nanoskin 6 in round mitt. For me, this does a better job with a clay luber and covers more area

Eric@CherryOnTop
02-15-2016, 08:45 PM
Pinnacle Black Label Leather & Vinyl Coating (http://www.autogeek.net/car-leather-coating.html)

This stuff is the bees-knees for coated leather. Don't waste your time on conditioners for coated leather, a protectant is where it's at.

AbileneAutoWerx
02-15-2016, 10:02 PM
First thing to do is delete all the EPA crap with EFILive so it'll run right and last the way a Cummins should! 😉

MattPersman
02-16-2016, 12:47 PM
First thing to do is delete all the EPA crap with EFILive so it'll run right and last the way a Cummins should! [emoji6]

Sure throw away the warranty on a new 70 grand truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk