PDA

View Full Version : New to DA polishing

caunyd
02-12-2016, 09:42 PM
Hi Mike, I wanted to post in this specific section, so maybe I get an answer from you, but I have also posted this under Detailing 101 because I wanted to hear from other members, so I apologize for the double post. You can delete a duplicate thread if you feel it's appropriate.

I have 2 cars that I want to make look new. The first is a 2006 Seal Gray Porsche. It has mild, but probably not heavy, swirl marks, and it also has water marks that I haven't been able to get out with various remedies, including claying. So I'm guessing the water marks are pretty etched on. I don't know if this car has been polished before (but I'm guessing no, even though it had a previous owner)

The 2nd car is a new red Jaguar and it has minor/slight swirl marks, that I think were caused by the dealer. I will try to get pictures of both.

I am a complete rookie to polishing/sanding/detailing, but I would like to get a Porter Cable 7424XP to get rid of these swirl and water marks.

1/ What Backing plates, and foam pads would you recommend?
2/ Which polishes/abrasives would you recommend for this job?

axel06
02-12-2016, 10:33 PM
i would spend 20.00 and buy mikes detail book a complete guide to a show car finish will answer those questions and a whole lot more, dont go bigger than a 5.5 pad on the porter cable i use lake country pads and again this is all in his book but all forum members will give you a ton of advice . and welcome to the forum.. keep on shinning

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
02-13-2016, 01:39 AM
Without a doubt the very first thing you should invest in will be Mike Phillip's books. This will be the best $$$ money spent. This will give you a much better understanding of whats going on and how to take care of various issues. Plus you will always have the books on hand for reference.

Mike Phillips Detailing Books (http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-books.html)

This will also be a great place to reference.
Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

Eric@CherryOnTop
02-14-2016, 10:46 AM
Welcome to having better looking paint than all your buddies! :-p

I would definitely go with the 5" backing plate rather than the 6" and go with 5.5" flat pads from either lake country or buff and shine. My personal favorite polishes are Menzerna. Your Porsche most likely has softer paint and I would imagine the jag has harder paint. Get 8 oz bottles of fg400, pf2500 and sf4000. Add in whatever type of wax or sealant is your preference and you should be good to go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk