PDA

View Full Version : want to get a 7424XP for 2 cars

caunyd
02-12-2016, 09:36 PM
I have 2 cars that I want to make look new. The first is a 2006 Seal Gray Porsche. It has mild, but probably not heavy, swirl marks, and it also has water marks that I haven't been able to get out with various remedies, including claying. So I'm guessing the water marks are pretty etched on. I don't know if this car has been polished before (but I'm guessing no, even though it had a previous owner)

The 2nd car is a new red Jaguar and it has minor/slight swirl marks, that I think were caused by the dealer. I will try to get pictures of both.

I am a complete rookie to polishing/sanding/detailing, but I would like to get a Porter Cable 7424XP to get rid of these swirl and water marks.

1/ What Backing plates, and foam pads would you recommend?
2/ Which polishes/abrasives would you recommend for this job?

PandaSauce
02-12-2016, 10:21 PM
I've had really good success so far with my CG 6" backing plate and 6.5" Hex Logic pads.

HD Speed and CG V36 and V38 have all been great for polishing. You might not need the V36 if everything that you're doing is pretty light, and you'll probably only need Speed or V38 for a polish.

All that being said, I am pretty new to using a quality machine. I've hand applied various products for 13 or so years and have used some crappy buffers, so I feel like I know what I'm looking for as far as results, and am happy with my results so far, but others that are more experienced might have better advice on products.

roguerobot
02-12-2016, 10:26 PM
Lots of suggestions, here is what I did. I bought the PC 7424XP value pack, which came with an orange flat pad, white flat pad, a blue pad, and two bonus red pads. I bought Mequirs Ultimate Compound (orange pad), Ultimate Polish (white pad) and Ultimate Wax (red pad). Later I got some All in One: Klasse which I use with the blue pad.

Anyway, Meguirs Ultimate is good place to start, can't go wrong. As you learn more, and find other problems to solve, you can branch out.

vobro
02-12-2016, 10:28 PM
Most would recommend a 5" bp with the PC.
I like the Meguiars thin foam pads, and Megs #205 is a good all purpose polish compound. Also the HD Polish is really nice, both are easy to work with.

PandaSauce
02-12-2016, 10:38 PM
The counterweight that shipped on my PC says "FOR 6 INCH PAD ONLY" so I went with that.

Priyaka
02-13-2016, 12:14 AM
You may also want to consider purchasing a 3" backing plate with 4" pads as well. This will make polishing those tighter areas easier.

Ebg18t
02-13-2016, 09:30 AM
I would look at the GG6 since it has a tad more power and better warranty.

1. 5.5" flat lake county pads (orange, white & black or blue)
2. Menzerna FG400 (use with orange or white)
3. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (black or blue pad)
4. Maintain with Wolfgang Uber Rinseless wash

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine. (http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html)

Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash, no rinse car wash (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-uber-rinseless-wash.html)

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher FREE SHIPPING (http://www.autogeek.net/new-griots-polisher.html)

Lake Country Flat Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-flat-pads.html)

RTexasF
02-13-2016, 09:39 AM
I have both and the Griot's, with the longer cord, is the superior machine.

TTQ B4U
02-13-2016, 09:50 AM
I have 2 cars that I want to make look new. The first is a 2006 Seal Gray Porsche. It has mild, but probably not heavy, swirl marks, and it also has water marks that I haven't been able to get out with various remedies, including claying. So I'm guessing the water marks are pretty etched on. I don't know if this car has been polished before (but I'm guessing no, even though it had a previous owner)

I like Meguiar's products. Lots of good options but it's OTC and easy to get, priced right too. Have not used HDSpeed but heard good things about it. Obviously it's an AIO Product saving some time but call me old fashion I don't mind the extra time. If it was my job it might be different.

For the above, Ultimate Compound with some orange pads. Keep in mind you'll need about 5-6 for this car. Then hit it with Ultimate Polish and a white pad. Again, you'll need about 4-5 here to keep the pads fresh and from getting heavy as they will over time. I like Collinite 845 or Menzerma Sealants. Lots of great options out there at this stage.

The 2nd car is a new red Jaguar and it has minor/slight swirl marks, that I think were caused by the dealer. I will try to get pictures of both.

Ultimate Polish and white pads will fix you right up. Maybe 4-5 total.

I use a 6" and 3.5" backing plates for use with 6.5 and 4" Pads. I know many like the smaller 5's as they can be a little more efficient but to each their own. I am also looking at a smaller 2" one with an extension for some tighter areas.

I have multiple units and backing plates mounted on each so I don't have o swap them out.

Make sure you get some pad cleaner too. They clean up and condition well lasting for quite a white barring you don't tear them on emblems or lettering, etc.

Good luck!

etnops
02-13-2016, 02:00 PM
Hard to go wrong with the Meguiar's DA Microfiber correction system. Has all the bits you'll need.
Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/da-microfiber-starter-kit-5in.html)

And then you'll need a good DA machine. Cut to the chase and just get the Porter Cable 7424XP. Again, hard to go wrong with it.
Porter cable 7424xp, 7424xp, Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher, Porter Cable polisher, car polisher, buffer, sander-polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424xp.html)

Pick up some extra 5" microfiber cutting and finishing pads, too. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Cabrio
02-13-2016, 04:21 PM

I am a complete rookie to polishing/sanding/detailing, but I would like to get a Porter Cable 7424XP to get rid of these swirl and water marks.

As you can see from these posts, pretty much everyone has great experience to share with a myriad of tried and true tested products. You cannot go wrong by following any of these recommendations.

What I would add to this thread is the following. The first step in the thought process is to be able to use the least abrasive product and the pad with the least amount of cutting power to do the job.

You have two very different cars, so being able to use different size pads to hug the curves of the Porsche versus having long "runways" on the jag will be something you will look back and be quite thankful for....You will want extra pads for each type of pad you end up buying.

So...Wolfgang, Blackfire, Meguiar's, Pinnacle...everyone has grown into their preference depending on their experience and the condition of the cars that they detail. I would say that you cannot go wrong with any of these brands...they each have their own "individual character". I've found that Wolfgang when needing medium correction produces less dusting than some of the other products I've used but I've also enjoyed using Blackfire wet diamond all finish paint protection when I'm looking to do a final "step" to seal the paint - so smooth and easy to use. I would recommend picking a brand, grab some medium and fine polish along with the corresponding pads. A kit could be a great start but grab some extra pads. I would also throw in there that you will want to clay your cars before polishing.

Kamakaz1961
02-13-2016, 04:42 PM
Lots of suggestions, here is what I did. I bought the PC 7424XP value pack, which came with an orange flat pad, white flat pad, a blue pad, and two bonus red pads. I bought Mequirs Ultimate Compound (orange pad), Ultimate Polish (white pad) and Ultimate Wax (red pad). Later I got some All in One: Klasse which I use with the blue pad.

Anyway, Meguirs Ultimate is good place to start, can't go wrong. As you learn more, and find other problems to solve, you can branch out.

For working on 2 cars I would suggest getting more Pads. At least 2 more each (I would look int o the 6-Packs). You will need them. Every other advise here is good for technique.

dlc95
02-14-2016, 10:25 PM
The PC is my go to polisher. I'm often setting aside the Flex 3401 in favor of it!

Most of my work isn't in body shop environments, so I try and use Meguiar's Ultimate line as much as possible. I augment that system with Meguiar's M100/M205, or Menzerna FG400/PF2500/SF4000.

I stick to buff and shine made pads. Green for compound, blue for general polishing, black for cleaner waxes, and red for dedicated sealants or waxes.

If I was to offer advice to a friend of mine wanting to get started, I'd recommend sticking to the Meguiar's Ultimate line. The more you use something, the more you know and understand it.

Another line of pads that I love is the Lake Country Hydrotech. Only three pads in the line. I like having at least four pad per model.