PDA

View Full Version : New Here and weary about using a DA Polisher.

Pages : [1] 2 3

dthor68
02-11-2016, 02:46 PM
A couple of months ago I got a new 2008 Honda CRV, midnight black. It is loaded with swirls has several light scratches, a half dozen small paint chips and 4 door dings. I would love to correct all of these minor problems.

About a month ago I wanted to clean the leather seats. So I watched quite a few videos on you tube and learned that the best way to clean leather is with Meguires Super Degreaser at a 5-1 ratio. I ordered the degreaser and mixed at a 10-1 ratio just to be safe. I tried it on a hidden spot and it seemed to work fine. So then I went about the instructions on the passenger seat. When I got done I wiped the seat off and my towel was not covered in grime, it was covered in Honda Ivory colored dye. No where have I read anything negative about using the Super Degreaser on leather. So I now have to re-dye my leather!

Obviously I took some bad advise and I am wondering if the advise I am getting on removing swirl marks is not bad also.

Can anyone here give me some good advise so I dont screw up my paint as well

BTW, the bad advise on my leather came from autofetish detail.

I intend on purchasing the Porter Cable DA Polisher.

Thanks for any help.

MarkD51
02-11-2016, 03:18 PM
Welcome to Autogeek.
You surely did not come to the wrong place to learn and study all the techniques involved with how to "properly" correct a paint finish, or any other car related detailing.

Here, and the sister site Autopia are tops. Many of us members belong to both forums.

I own a Porter Cable 7424XP DA Polisher, bought here, and I have been very satisfied with the Polisher, and have absolutely no regrets. Only wish I bought one sooner.

Our Forum Guru and Master Mike Phillips has amassed quite a dictionary of how to vids, articles, and is here on a daily basis to help guide folks. he also has authored books on Detailing.

With the proper Pads, Polishes, and technique, one can easily learn to achieve superb show car results with the PC7424XP that seasoned professionals know, in short time.

There's a search function, in which you can spend a long time perusing, and also many tutorial vids that can be found either here, or on youtube. Simple to search youtube, Mike Phillips, or Porter Cable Polishing, etc etc.

Enjoy your stay, and have fun!

Cabrio
02-11-2016, 03:55 PM
There are more products on this site than you can count that are designed for leather/interior cleaning. Sorry to hear about your leather cleaning disaster.

As for DA polishers....IMO you cannot go wrong with the PC, Flex, Rupes or GG. IMO, it ends up coming down to personal or professional preference. Don't forget to put the time into looking at the myriad of different pads and products.

I started with the PC and had a lot of fun and success with this machine. I then added the Flex 3401 and this became my mainstay machine. I added the GG 3" and then the Rupes 75 mini. I am now taking a look at the Rupes 15 Mark II. For me, I'm in search of my Holy Grail when it comes to polishing side panels. It's easier to polish level surface areas but when it comes to side panels, there are some different variables and "staying" power.

Eldorado2k
02-11-2016, 04:00 PM
What did you scrub the leather with? Any pics?

dthor68
02-11-2016, 04:41 PM
What did you scrub the leather with? Any pics?

I used a paint brush, the synthetic type for water-based paint, with the bristles cut at about 1". I actually never did scrub, just kinda poked at it, as directed by another youtuber. Its all good though, nothing will make them look as good as re-dying them (positive thinking).

WaxMaster1
02-11-2016, 04:54 PM
My thoughts are this..... if the car is 8 years old, chances are, if you bought it from a dealership, the seats were beat and the local used car reconditioner guy may have touched up the seats with color and you probably just wiped it off.

dthor68
02-11-2016, 04:58 PM
My thoughts are this..... if the car is 8 years old, chances are, if you bought it from a dealership, the seats were beat and the local used car reconditioner guy may have touched up the seats with color and you probably just wiped it off.

I was actually thinking the same thing. I dont think the dealership re-conditioned them, because they did not even wash it! I think the previous owner did it, or had someone else do it.

swanicyouth
02-11-2016, 06:50 PM
Lolz. I like Darren's videos (Auto Fetish), but I can't believe he use Super Degreaser on leather seats and interiors.

Because,

99% of the time it prolly will be fine - but the other 1% you just don't know.

Never use anything on leather unless the manufacturer recommends using it on leather. I know this goes against Darren's thought process about "Internet detailers" giving advice - but you all can read what happened here.

To be honest, Meg's Super degreaser is pretty useless. It's not as good as most APCs, it smells bad, and couldn't de-grease a Jheri-curl. If the bottle is pretty much full, it makes a good door stopper.

As for polishing paint, do your research before you start. Gather information from multiple sources. If you see one guy doing something unique - it's prolly not for you.

dthor68
02-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Lolz. I like Darren's videos (Auto Fetish), but I can't believe he use Super Degreaser on leather seats and interiors.

Because,

Never use anything on leather unless the manufacturer recommends using it on leather. I know this goes against Darren's thought process about "Internet detailers" giving advice - but you all can read what happened here.

To be honest, Meg's Super degreaser is pretty useless. It's not as good as most APCs, it smells bad, and couldn't de-grease a Jheri-curl. If the bottle is pretty much full, it makes a good door stopper.

As for polishing paint, do your research before you start. Gather information from multiple sources. If you see one guy doing something unique - it's prolly not for you.

Believe me, I feel like a real idiot for doing it. We have all seen what degreaser does to a muddy tire. That is why I went 10-1! He actually has a video where he cleans a Bentley's interior with super degreaser!

PandaSauce
02-11-2016, 07:37 PM
You have to try really hard to mess up your paint with a DA.

I have a PC7424XP and I love it. Get a few sets of pads and some polish and start light and progress if it doesn't work.

GSKR
02-11-2016, 08:32 PM
A couple of months ago I got a new 2008 Honda CRV, midnight black. It is loaded with swirls has several light scratches, a half dozen small paint chips and 4 door dings. I would love to correct all of these minor problems.

About a month ago I wanted to clean the leather seats. So I watched quite a few videos on you tube and learned that the best way to clean leather is with Meguires Super Degreaser at a 5-1 ratio. I ordered the degreaser and mixed at a 10-1 ratio just to be safe. I tried it on a hidden spot and it seemed to work fine. So then I went about the instructions on the passenger seat. When I got done I wiped the seat off and my towel was not covered in grime, it was covered in Honda Ivory colored dye. No where have I read anything negative about using the Super Degreaser on leather. So I now have to re-dye my leather!

Obviously I took some bad advise and I am wondering if the advise I am getting on removing swirl marks is not bad also.

Can anyone here give me some good advise so I dont screw up my paint as well

BTW, the bad advise on my leather came from autofetish detail.

I intend on purchasing the Porter Cable DA Polisher.

Thanks for any help.you should never use a super degreaser on leather or spray it directly on leather as this will cause the degreaser to etch your seat.now that the mistake is over follow mike Phillips utube videos.

BMW435
02-11-2016, 10:00 PM
I've watched many of his videos and he always used Meguiars D101 diluted 10:1 (less aggressive than D108 Super Degreaser) which is what you used. I have used the D101 at 10:1 on my seats many times and never had any adverse affects from using it. I also go over the seat with a microfiber towel dampened in water followed by a dry towel.

shagnat
02-11-2016, 10:41 PM

Because,

I had to unsubscribe from Daren's youtube channel. He talks waaaaay too much about himself.... he makes so many terrible videos because he gets paid per view, so, the more videos he makes, the more money he makes.
He's making more from youtube than from his detailing(?) business !!!!
Too many quality videos to have to put up with his condescending attitude and the others contain much more and much better information. Just my 2 cents.

blkSRT
02-11-2016, 10:47 PM

I agree. Most factory leather is coated,meaning the color is protected. Do you have any pics?

Eldorado2k
02-12-2016, 01:21 AM
you should never use a super degreaser on leather or spray it directly on leather as this will cause the degreaser to etch your seat.now that the mistake is over follow mike Phillips utube videos.

A few weeks ago during a thread on here in which a user was asking about how to clean his leather steering wheel alot of advice was given.. Lots of people suggested to not get aggressive with the cleaning method and so on...

In that thread I suggested Megs D101 APC @10:1 but alot of people said that'd be too aggressive to clean the leather on his steering wheel..
So I decided to do a little test on my own car. But since I had nothing to fear, I took it way past the APC and went ahead and used Megs Super Degreaser @4:1 with a scrub brush and cleaned the whole backseat inside my Cadillac. No adverse affects, other than a bit of a tacky feel to the touch for a short time once I was done. No etching, no staining, no leather destroyed or ruined... Megs Super Degreaser is non caustic.

Looks as good as it ever has to this day. Just sayin.

I had to unsubscribe from Daren's youtube channel. He talks waaaaay too much about himself.... he makes so many terrible videos because he gets paid per view, so, the more videos he makes, the more money he makes.
He's making more from youtube than from his detailing(?) business !!!!
Too many quality videos to have to put up with his condescending attitude and the others contain much more and much better information. Just my 2 cents.

People on Youtube get payed per view? Really? I've never heard of that. As far as his videos, me personally, I think they're great. Some people whine about them being too long, or for some reason don't like how he talks or whatever, but the truth is there's not enough quality videos from actual real world detailers, especially ones who actually know what they're talking about based on many years of experience like him..
I think his vids are far better than much less experienced guys who seem to in it for the money and act like they only get paid top dollar or whatever.. Some guys seem to be more interested in looking trying to look cool. At least Darren keeps it real.