PDA

View Full Version : Wax is annoying me...

Pages : [1] 2

P1et
10-04-2007, 08:46 AM
So as you all know, I have a solid black truck. I have been putting wax on it for a few months, but every time I do it annoys me.

Reason is, even if I go really thin, apply it by hand or machine, and the direct sunlight hits it, you can see where I waxed it. It's like I cannot get it off all the way! And it piiiiiiiiiiisses me off!!!

Does anyone have any tips for me?

makdaddy626
10-04-2007, 08:55 AM
What wax are you using?

Pauly6401
10-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Does running over the truck with a QD right after you wax it help any? That might kind of smooth it all out.

Jimmie
10-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Does running over the truck with a QD right after you wax it help any? That might kind of smooth it all out.

:iagree:first thing that I thought too.

dengood1
10-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Try using a MF bonnet with the PC on 5-6 or simply lay out microfiber down on your hood, center a polishing pad on the microfiber towel, then buff the truck at speed 5 with the PC. Trust me, you will be pleased. You can also buy MF bonnets to put on the pad (some recommend the wool pad for softness), then buff at 5-6 with PC. Let me know if this works for you:)

A1monky
10-04-2007, 09:25 AM

I had the same problem w/ my black car. Until I started doing this :whs:

ScottB
10-04-2007, 09:25 AM
direct sunlight a culprit ??

P1et
10-04-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm glad to hear that others have seen the same issues! It's one I don't have when using sealants, just waxes.

I do have the little bonnets (AG was kind enough to let me win some!) and I might want to try them.

For now though, I'll give the QD a try. When I did my wife's Explorer last weekend, I went over the truck with AW after waxing it with P21S.

I see a lot of detailers using "final wipe down" when they're done waxing and I think that's what I might be missing.

Thanks!

trhland
10-04-2007, 10:38 AM
yes use a qd and go over it if needed. make sure you stay out of the sun .i wash mine only in the early morning or when the suns going down or if i find some shade.

FMINUS
10-04-2007, 11:32 AM
I would use ice water instead, unless if you have any QDs that do not clean.

budman3
10-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Yeah, it seems like right after you wax a vehicle it looks spectacular... and then a few days later random wax marks appear out of no where. PITA.

The bonnet is probably the best / safest idea. If you use a QD right after you waxed a vehicle, you may be putting the durability of the wax in jeopardy because it hasn't fully cured onto the paint. After a few days wouldn't be a problem, IMO. That being said, I like to use OCW when I'm applying and removing a carnauba. I guess that I am holding the wax back from its fullest potential but I don't get any mystery wax spots, plus the OCW has caranuba to protect as well... I think I'm going to quit using the OCW after I lay down a carnauba until a day or two after, and then use the OCW...

Surfer
10-04-2007, 01:11 PM
I have this happen once in awhile on white, I always seem to miss a spot or two.

P1et
10-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Surfer, it's not so much that I miss a spot, it's more than I cannot get it off all the way. Does that make sense? Especially when I put the Brinkmann on it I can still see bits and pieces of it.

dbrufus1234
10-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Surfer, it's not so much that I miss a spot, it's more than I cannot get it off all the way. Does that make sense? Especially when I put the Brinkmann on it I can still see bits and pieces of it.
ive got a black mustang and man i know exactly what your takin about, its like once you get all the haze off, you can still tell something is still on the paint if you look close enough and if you were to wipe over it with a MF with some pressure the wax will kinda smear, is this what you are talkin about?? its prob. because of heat because mine does it and it been mid 90's for a while but im not very sure if it the heat or something to do with the paint, and i havent tried QDin it, but tell me how it works if you try it out

richy
10-04-2007, 10:24 PM
I find that too especially when it's hot. I use a qd as well but it does not always solve it 100%. I am going to try the UCD with a mf method next time. I am almost out of collinite and then I'm switching to DG anyway.