PDA

View Full Version : How Much Dawn Dish Soap to Wash a Car?

Pages : [1] 2 3

PandaSauce
02-10-2016, 11:20 PM
I squeezed a pretty fair amount of dawn into my bucket to wash off all of the polish and what not that I had laid down. It go super foamy and seemed like a lot.

Washed it twice and it was still beading.

Should I just wash more times, use more soap, is there a better stripper?

ski2
02-10-2016, 11:28 PM
Dawn will not strip paint of LSPs--read through this thread-- http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/66896-lsp-stripping.html

PandaSauce
02-10-2016, 11:36 PM
Dawn will not strip paint of LSPs--read through this thread-- http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/66896-lsp-stripping.html

Awesome.

Why do so many people say that dish soap will take everything off?

Eldorado2k
02-10-2016, 11:56 PM
Awesome.

Because they're noobs who don't know what they're talking about.😜Lol.

PandaSauce
02-10-2016, 11:58 PM
Weird. I've seen it pretty much everywhere. "don't wash your car with dish soap, you'll take it down to the clear coat and it won't have protection"

custmsprty
02-11-2016, 12:01 AM
Urban Legend

PandaSauce
02-11-2016, 12:02 AM
So is there anything wrong with using dish soap?

FUNX650
02-11-2016, 12:23 AM
Keep in mind that:

Just the fact that you're a member of the
AGO forum/community, will allow you to
experience many an epiphany.

Hopefully the perpetuators of car-care mysticism,
myths, misinformation, and (at times) malfeasance...
will soon hear "The Voice of Reason" and unite with
us AGO-ian's in our efforts of enjoining others to
disregard and debunk such madness as listed above;
and, experience epiphanies of their own accord.

Bob

Eldorado2k
02-11-2016, 12:27 AM
So is there anything wrong with using dish soap?

Well technically it is a degreaser. So while it may not knock it out in 1 or 2 quik tries, [same way that pan of spaghetti is tough to get clean once it's had time to sit] It will eventually strip the cured wax/sealant/protection off your paint. It'll be left squeaky clean, the dry kind of clean. And dry paint usually ends up in bad shape or worse over time..
Not to mention dried up rubber trim & seals. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine all the cars I see on a daily basis with clearcoat failure having lived a life with proper car soap.

Just my 2 cents.

70fastback
02-11-2016, 12:47 AM
Back in 2002 when I first joined Autopia, everybody talked about using Dawn to strip off LSP from vehicles...they were not noobs, nor was it urban legend...
It may have started when Zaino was all the hype. I believe their first recommended step is a Dawn wash...

I remember a post when someone once said, "Dawn is for dishes, keep it in the kitchen" and I agree.

Eldorado2k
02-11-2016, 01:07 AM
Back in 2002 when I first joined Autopia, everybody talked about using Dawn to strip off LSP from vehicles...they were not noobs, nor was it urban legend...
It may have started when Zaino was all the hype. I believe their first recommended step is a Dawn wash...

I remember a post when someone once said, "Dawn is for dishes, keep it in the kitchen" and I agree.

They might've said it back in 2002, and it might've worked on Zaino and other products that were big 14yrs ago.. But that doesn't exactly mean it's sure to work the same with the products of today.

I'm not declaring it won't, but there's certainly a chance it might not.. Especially when you consider how big carnuba waxes must've been around 14yrs ago..

Same way Megs Super Degreaser might've been the the bomb once upon a time, but new products get developed every year. That's why when Nicholas@Autowerx said Super Degreaser was pretty weak compared to 3D Yellow Degreaser, I wasn't all that surprised to hear it.
Would Dawn Strip the best coating available today on 1 try? It sure as heck better not😏lol.

Would it strip some good ole fashioned carnuba wax? Probably so.

Doesn't change the fact that someone recommending washing with Dawn gets little to no respect for that comment. Not by me, not in 2016. But then again I wouldn't wash my car with Dawn, so I naturally have that opinion towards it.

But if it works for you or anyone else and they're happy with the results they get, then it's got nothing to do with me.

70fastback
02-11-2016, 01:20 AM
They might've said it back in 2002, and it might've worked on Zaino and other products that were big 14yrs ago.. But that doesn't exactly mean it's sure to work the same with the products of today.

I'm not declaring it won't, but there's certainly a chance it might not.. Especially when you consider how big carnuba waxes must've been around 14yrs ago..

Same way Megs Super Degreaser might've been the the bomb once upon a time, but new products get developed every year. That's why when Nicholas@Autowerx said Super Degreaser was pretty weak compared to 3D Yellow Degreaser, I wasn't all that surprised to hear it.
Would Dawn Strip the best coating available today on 1 try? It sure as heck better not😏lol.

Would it strip some good ole fashioned carnuba wax? Probably so.

Doesn't change the fact that someone recommending washing with Dawn gets little to no respect for that comment. Not by me, not in 2016. But then again I wouldn't wash my car with Dawn, so I naturally have that opinion towards it.

But if it works for you or anyone else and they're happy with the results they get, then it's got nothing to do with me.

Calm down Skippy...I don't recommend using Dawn either. And, it doesn't work for me, because I don't use it...I was merely pointing out that Dawn was recommended as far back as then. Not to remove Zaino, but as a wash prior to using. Just looked on Zaino's website and it's still THEIR recommended first step...not mine.

Eldorado2k
02-11-2016, 01:32 AM
Calm down Skippy...I don't recommend using Dawn either. And, it doesn't work for me, because I don't use it...I was merely pointing out that Dawn was recommended as far back as then. Not to remove Zaino, but as a wash prior to using. Just looked on Zaino's website and it's still THEIR recommended first step...not mine.

I am calm😏lol.

And check it out, I've got an even better 1... This is straight out of the Cadillac owners manual from 1997.. Can you believe the stupid advice they're actually recommending here? It's from 1997, not 57..

Wash your new Cadillac with liquid hand soap.. Or dish soap.

Dang it, I'm all out of liquid hand soap. Lol.

Mantilgh
02-11-2016, 08:53 AM
I would really like to hear PiPUKs thoughts on the use of Dawn. I think there is a lot of misinformation on the use of it. Not just on the stripping, but the negative effects of such a "inappropriate" cleaner.

I personally think that it will have little to no negative effect on anything you use it on. People clean plastics and rubber seals with products(diluted and undiluted APCs) that are much stronger than Dawn at a wash ratio.

What's the real deal Pip?

lawrenceSA
02-11-2016, 08:58 AM
I would really like to hear PiPUKs thoughts on the use of Dawn.

:iagree: I always appreciate reading his input :dblthumb2: