PDA

View Full Version : Pros, how long do you take to do a "full detail" on a sedan?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

lawrenceSA
06-08-2016, 01:14 PM
I'm the wrong guy to ask this question (I recently spent around 30-40 hours over a 5-day period detailing my truck and it wasn't very bad to begin with) but I'm going to chime in anyways.

I've seen this and similar questions asked a million times about a variety of tasks and here's my take... The better a job you do the more time it takes. Period! Attention-to-Detail takes time.

Although absolute perfection is impossible, many strive for it. I know I do. Every time I do something I try to do it better than the time before and that usually means it takes longer. While there are some time savings that can be realized by working efficiently and developing/improving your processes, quality costs.

I think the key here is "what are your expectations" for the finished product? Assuming "perfect" to be 100%, are you looking for 75%, 80%, 90%, or 99.9%? The time it takes to meet expectations goes up exponentially the higher your expectations are. Getting from 80% to 90% might take longer than the initial 0% to 80%. And then from 90% to 99.9% will take even more time and effort. Only you (and/or your customer) can determine what the expectation level is going to be and how much time/money is reasonable to achieve it.

In a nutshell, whether the answer to the original question is 4 hours or 4 days, they are both correct. It just depends on your own level of attention-to-detail, your own definition of perfection, your own expectations, and your own definition of what constitutes a "full detail" as those can vary quite a bit from person to person.

Well said!!!

David Fermani
06-08-2016, 01:24 PM
I have a very good friend who got a sedan for a method of transport. Hyundai sonata I think (not familiar with Hyundai). It gets little care but it is not totally hammered. I will probably go with a foam soak with a gun, two bucket wash with grit guards and mitt/maxi suds, rinse and then clay with onr or car soap.

Polishing will probably be needed but lightly. Want to try out HD adapt on a red meguiars microfiber pad.

Eventually I might want to ipa wipe down but dont know how to do this in terms of ipa strength.

Probably will put meguiars paint protect on then collinite 476s.

Interior should just need a vaccum and light cleaning and 303 protectant.

I dont know how long this should take and payment from the friend would be zero so no wage is really needed. Just how much time should a full detail take roughly?

The big variable is how much correction you'd to achieve? Adapt can take you anywhere between 2 hours to 25 hours depending.

Personally, I'd try HD Speed. You'll get great correction and gloss with a decent amount of protection. Then, top it with 476 and you're done. Forget the IPA wipedown unless you're going to full correction. Rest assured knowing that the finish it leaves is the finish that will remain.

Because you're doing correction, it's a bit excessive to foam and 2 bucket a car. Any marring that *might* be created will be removed within the 1st pass with your polisher. You'll create more marring claying the car.

Typical times for a competent pro should take about 2-3 hours tops. Time for an internet detailer could take 4-5 times that amount due to the lack of real world experience.

2black1s
06-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Well said!!!

Thank You.

JoeyGT
06-08-2016, 04:32 PM
As a noob doing my first detail, it took me 7 hours with some breaks in between to:

1. Wash (2 buckets)
2. Clay
3. Rinse
4. Dry
5. Polish (One step w/ HD Speed -- 4 passes)

WAXOFF
06-11-2016, 10:03 AM
I spend 2 days on my customers cars. I don't make a lot of profit but the end result show the difference as I touch up Nick's and chips if they supply paint and paint frames and hitches etc. A lot of guys just cover things up with dressings. Not my style.