PDA

View Full Version : Paint transfer removal

Jhold87
02-10-2016, 07:21 PM
I'm looking for a good paint transfer remover any products or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brody
02-10-2016, 08:02 PM
How bad are we talking? I'm sure some people will cringe when I say this, but try a mr.clean magic eraser soaked in diluted car wash soap. Use very light pressure and plenty of liquid to act as a lubricant. If you go after it too hard you'll need to come back with a buffer to remove the micro scratches. Over the years I've found a ton of automotive related uses for the magic erasers. They are typically great at removing different kinds of transfer marks in the clear coat on cars.

rustytruck
02-10-2016, 08:07 PM
It should polish off easily. Any good compound should do the trick.

GSKR
02-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Everyone has there preference of paint transfer removal,mine is lacquer thinner once and done.

Jowillie
02-10-2016, 08:15 PM
Are you talking about paint over-spray? I had great results recently with clay-bar.

Jhold87
02-10-2016, 08:23 PM
It's not very bad small spot on hood of a 2016 Mazda cx-5 . Light ballast in the garage fell on it leaving white paint on the hood to my surprise it didn't leave a dent. I was already planning on polishing it out with my dual action I have m105 and m205 . It's my mother in laws car and she asked me if I could fix it but I've never had to deal with paint transfer. I know some people I've talked to said to use lighter fluid but I didnt think that would be a good Idea.

Armani
02-10-2016, 09:40 PM
Try using rubbing alcohol and wiping it with a microfiber towel.

Cabrio
02-10-2016, 09:45 PM
My first question to you is..how good do you get along with your mother in-law - lol, JK.

I would have given it a quick polish but I didn't think of the clay bar. That would be a quick and easy fix.

Jhold87
02-10-2016, 09:49 PM
My first question to you is..how good do you get along with your mother in-law - lol, JK.

I would have given it a quick polish but I didn't think of the clay bar. That would be a quick and easy fix.
Good one lol. I didn't think of the clay either I have the medium and fine nanoskin sponge I think I'll try that first.

Setec Astronomy
02-10-2016, 09:53 PM
Clay never seems to work for me on paint transfers.

Part of the approach depends on what kind of paint. House paint is easy, mineral spirits usually takes that right off. Car paint is more difficult usually, and your "ballast" probably has some sort of industrial enamel on it. I'd try mineral spirits first, and if the car has factory paint, some laquer thinner should remove your transfer without effecting the underying paint (just don't let it dwell).

Eldorado2k
02-10-2016, 10:18 PM
You're way overthinking it dude. Nevermind trying to clay it away, or trying wierd tactics on it.

Just simply grab a microfiber towel/applictator and your M105 or even M205 will work just fine in most cases to remove transfer.

Keep it simple

Jhold87
02-25-2016, 10:54 PM
I'm looking for a good paint transfer remover any products or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Just thought I would post a update on the paint transfer on the Mazda MX-5 . I started with a medium grade nanoskin sponge and onr as clay lube took about 5 minutes and all the transfer was gone. I polished the rest of the hood with 205 and a lc white pad and it turned out great. I plan on doing the full car when the weather gets a little better. Thanks for the advice guy's.

Cabrio
02-25-2016, 10:59 PM
Just thought I would post a update on the paint transfer on the Mazda MX-5 . I started with a medium grade nanoskin sponge and onr as clay lube took about 5 minutes and all the transfer was gone. I polished the rest of the hood with 205 and a lc white pad and it turned out great. I plan on doing the full car when the weather gets a little better. Thanks for the advice guy's.

Very glad to hear that all went well. :xyxthumbs: