PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Question

larry33
02-09-2016, 09:34 PM
My Lexus LS430 needs a new windshield. I will have to pay more for OEM glass if I don't use whatever glass they provide. Is there really any difference? I'm willing to pay more if there are quality differences, but I don't need to pay more for no reason.

Thanks

GSKR
02-10-2016, 06:24 AM
My Lexus LS430 needs a new windshield. I will have to pay more for OEM glass if I don't use whatever glass they provide. Is there really any difference? I'm willing to pay more if there are quality differences, but I don't need to pay more for no reason.

Thanksjust make sure it deosnt leak or screw up the rain sensor if your car has that option.other than that i really don't see a difference maybe call Lexus just to verify.

TuxedoTaurus
02-10-2016, 07:02 AM
If your windshield has multiple or harder curves I would pay for OEM.

I went through 3 safelite windshields due to distortion. Then the first OEM no issue.

My in-laws went through 2 due to poor connections with the rain sensor.

Make sure you get some kind of warranty for leaks and craftsmanship whichever way you go.

GSKR
02-10-2016, 07:32 AM

I went through 3 safelite windshields due to distortion. Then the first OEM no issue.

Make sure you get some kind of warranty for leaks and craftsmanship whichever way you go.good info.

GSKR
02-10-2016, 07:36 AM
Your insurance should cover the windshield at no cost to you,unless there are other reasons.Check into that and if so demand oem.

Mike Honcho
02-10-2016, 08:04 AM
I think only Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina waive the deductible for windshield replacement.

Mike Honcho
02-10-2016, 08:17 AM
BTW... I had the windshield on my Lexus replaced. I used the Lexus OEM glass. Crystal clear! The reason is that they are made with molten rocks inside the volcano of Mount Fuji sharpened by the blade strokes of a thousand Samurai's.

Desertnate
02-10-2016, 08:36 AM
I'm not sure about Japanese cars, but years ago when I had to replace a windshield on a BMW I owned at the time, the aftermarket product was much better than OEM.

My original, OEM windshield was very soft and pitted easily. After only three years it was a real mess. The aftermarket unit looked almost better than the OEM unit when new five years after it was installed and I sold the car.

larry33
02-10-2016, 01:12 PM
Thanks..My insurance will pay for their glass minus my $100 deductible. If I went to OEM glass, they determine the "fair market value" of what their glass is, and I would pay the entire difference between that and the price of OEM glass. So it could be a bit.

larry33
02-11-2016, 11:31 AM
You brought a question to my mind...so would coating the window with CarPro Flyby30 affect the rain sensor?

TRDTACO
02-11-2016, 12:08 PM
I had to have the windshield replaced on my Tacoma and my ins said the same thing about having to pay the difference $700 for a Toyota windshield. I have glass coverage and it would be no charge for a safelite glass. Turns out safe lite used the exact same manufacturer's windshield AP Tech , only difference was there wasnt a little Toyota etching on the windshield. I wasnt paying $700 extra just for that

Cabrio
02-11-2016, 12:58 PM

Make sure you get some kind of warranty for leaks and craftsmanship whichever way you go.

What a ridiculously frustrating experience!

GSKR
02-11-2016, 05:30 PM
You brought a question to my mind...so would coating the window with CarPro Flyby30 affect the rain sensor?
Just don't apply it near the sensor,and besides I don't think it matters if you apply it over the sensor.