PDA

View Full Version : Love bug prep

Onefast
02-09-2016, 08:11 PM
Hi I am spending my first year I orlando Fl and was wondering what type of prep I should do since love bug season is around the corner.

What coating,sealant wax etc should I be using to help protect my daily driver against these particular critters??

GSKR
02-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Collinite will be the easiest and least expensive protection against those bugs,during the bug season apply every time you wash the car for added reassurance .

FUNX650
02-09-2016, 08:29 PM
:welcome: ...to AGO!

Something like this:
Protect your car from love bugs with the Diamondite Ultimate Love Bug Defense Kit! Protect glass car windshields, auto glass, and car windows. (http://www.autogeek.net/bug-protection.html)

Bob

GSKR
02-09-2016, 08:33 PM
Apply only to mirrors and front bumper,I didn't mean re wax the whole car every time you wash it just re apply to the front and mirrors.

TacoRun
02-09-2016, 08:43 PM
Happens in Texas also.

Onefast
02-09-2016, 08:53 PM
Collinite will be the easiest and least expensive protection against those bugs,during the bug season apply every time you wash the car for added reassurance .

Are you referring to the insulator or the paste.
Which works better or are they equal.

I have to look I just might have the insulator in the garage.

Onefast
02-09-2016, 08:58 PM
:welcome: ...to AGO!

Something like this:
Protect your car from love bugs with the Diamondite Ultimate Love Bug Defense Kit! Protect glass car windshields, auto glass, and car windows. (http://www.autogeek.net/bug-protection.html)

Bob
Yep! now if it wasn't out of stock I would be set.

GSKR
02-09-2016, 09:17 PM
Are you referring to the insulator or the paste.
Which works better or are they equal.

I have to look I just might have the insulator in the garage.pretty much all the same,as far as durability.

WaxMaster1
02-09-2016, 09:36 PM
my best advice is to get them off nightly. It is a pain. I have a company car I don't care about and I left them on for weeks and you could tell where it ate the clearcoat.

GSKR
02-10-2016, 07:02 AM
With the proper protection such as collinite without any washing for a week ,you will be surprised that there guts don't penetrate.I had a charger that only applied to mirrors and bumper ,left them on for 3 weeks just didn't care for the car and didn't have any etchings.The second year of ownership,I coated the mirrors and the whole front of the car was able to get a month with no etchings.

AllanS
02-17-2016, 11:30 PM
Avoid the 417 going over Lake Jessup! LOL Seriously, that's the WORST! Clean them off ASAP, don't let them bake on (yes, tough in the FL heat) If you leave the car out overnight, wash it 1st thing in the morning - the dew will partially loosen them for you.

We have Love Bug season 2x or so / year. Nasty stuff. Keep some great wax on mirrors, bumper, A pillars & hood lip, as GSKR was saying. A glass treatment couldn't hurt either.

HTH. Welcome to Central FL!

- Allan