PDA

View Full Version : Opti Gloss-Coat on raw aluminum

durps
02-08-2016, 02:16 PM
I have these wheels on my car that I want to protect. The face and inner barrel are painted, but the outer lips are raw polished aluminum (no clearcoat). I am having issues keeping the aluminum in shiny condition because after I polish them, it will rain and leave these nasty wet spots and it stains the aluminum on the outer lips. I was originally going to get the wheels powercoated clear so I wouldn't ever have to worry about them and got quoted $500 to do so. But saw a couple of guys that say Opti Gloss-Coat also works on wheels. If I prep everything right, is there a chance that I could maybe skip the clearcoat job and just buy Gloss-Coat to protect my raw aluminum from brake dust and water spots?? I just would like a year of protection without worrying about the finish of my polished aluminum. I wash the car weekly by the way so brake dust doesn't sit too long. Just dont wanna polish weekly.
I plan to do 2 coats if I go this route. Think the gloss coat will prevent the aluminum from getting nasty or should I just shell out the money and get them powdercoated clear?

asianisafish
02-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Are these 2 piece, 3 piece rims? If you coat the lips, you'll have to get into the part where the pieces attach, otherwise the uncoated area will oxidize and then ruin the aluminum under the coating and then ruin the coating. I think....

Woob
02-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Believe for uncoated Alum Optimum Coatings are not recommended due to the oxidation that occurs. Check the Optimum Car Care forums or ask Chris Thomas.

durps
02-08-2016, 07:08 PM
Are these 2 piece, 3 piece rims? If you coat the lips, you'll have to get into the part where the pieces attach, otherwise the uncoated area will oxidize and then ruin the aluminum under the coating and then ruin the coating. I think....
They are 3pc and being disassembled as we speak.

Yes i have emailed them, they gave me the green light actually but was hoping someone here would maybe have hands-on experience with it on raw billet

FUNX650
02-08-2016, 07:41 PM
One of the best protective coatings for
bare polished aluminum wheels that I've
ever found is Por-15's Glisten PC.

And it sure won't set you back anywhere
near to what powdercoating will.

Bob

g35_coupe
02-08-2016, 07:52 PM
I vaguely remember hearing OPT coatings were not designed for bare metal applications. If they gave you the green light, then by all means try it out. I believe Gtechniq has one for it though.

Chris Thomas
02-08-2016, 10:04 PM
Aluminum would have to be coated with a very thick, spray application to be effective.

The Guz
02-08-2016, 11:26 PM
Might want to consider Wolfgang metal sealant.