PDA

View Full Version : Applying wax in SUNLIGHT

Pages : [1] 2

98LowRanger
02-08-2016, 07:32 AM
I realize waxing in the sun isn't recommended, but I have a customer with a 5" lift and 37" tires on his truck and there is no way I can get it in my garage. I can manage to get it in some partial shade, but doubt I can get the whole truck shaded. I know there are some wax/sealants that can be applied in the sun and was looking for some suggestions. Looking for a good quality wax and not just a spray wax if possible. I currently have Collinite 845, DP Poli-Coat, Pinnacle Souveran (liquid), and Menzerna Color Lock at my disposal.

Setec Astronomy
02-08-2016, 07:36 AM
It's winter, I don't think you'll get in too much trouble with any of those you have.

98LowRanger
02-08-2016, 07:49 AM
It's winter, I don't think you'll get in too much trouble with any of those you have.

Well, I have not reopened yet so his trucks detail isn't scheduled till April. I was just wanting to be prepared and have the wax on hand if it was something I needed to buy.

Setec Astronomy
02-08-2016, 08:01 AM
If the surface is hot the wax will dry before you finish spreading it out to a thin layer, and a thick layer is harder to remove. IMO it's less about the product and more about the conditions and the technique.

If you're really worried about it get a WOWA like UPGP, Opti-Seal, Blackfire Crystal Seal, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal, etc.

LSNAutoDetailing
02-08-2016, 08:07 AM
HD Speed is sun safe. I wouldn't use it in direct sunlight on 90 degree day, but finding some shade would be helpful.

Product works best when applied in a shaded area but is sun friendly when used correctly. (http://www.3dproducts.com/detailing-chemicals/polishes-compounds/hd-speed-all-in-one-polish-wax/)

I ran into the same problem when I did a customers Ford F-150 King Ranch last summer. Found some shade and used HD Speed. Came out amazing.

FUNX650
02-08-2016, 08:16 AM
I realize waxing in the sun isn't recommended.
And the manufacturers have
their reasons for not doing so.

I know there are some wax/sealants
that can be applied in the sun
Seems to contradict the previous recommendation.

I can manage to get it in some partial shade,
but doubt I can get the whole truck shaded.
Keep moving the truck, as needed:
"Gotta Follow the Shade"; Easy Peasy.

Bob

98LowRanger
02-08-2016, 08:16 AM
HD Speed is sun safe. I wouldn't use it in direct sunlight on 90 degree day, but finding some shade would be helpful.

Product works best when applied in a shaded area but is sun friendly when used correctly. (http://www.3dproducts.com/detailing-chemicals/polishes-compounds/hd-speed-all-in-one-polish-wax/)

I ran into the same problem when I did a customers Ford F-150 King Ranch last summer. Found some shade and used HD Speed. Came out amazing.

Yea being early April it SHOULDN'T be too hot here in North Carolina. Thanks for the link. I have been wanting to try HD Speed, but it's an AIO polish and not just a wax. Maybe I can use it as an upsell for this detail since an AIO still requires more work than just applying a wax and thus the price for this service should reflect that. The truck is a 2012 Dodge that has never been polished so I'm sure by now it could benefit from a light one.

Souldetailer
02-08-2016, 08:26 AM
As stated by Setec, it's more about the surface temperature than it is the sunlight. Sunny and hot, not good. Sunny and cool or cold, not bad. Just use common sense. Good luck and take care.

Peace,

Darrin

GSKR
02-08-2016, 08:26 AM
It's winter, I don't think you'll get in too much trouble with any of those you have.:iagree:

glfnaz
02-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Duragloss 1101 is sun friendly.

LSNAutoDetailing
02-08-2016, 10:28 AM
It's a combination of surface temps and direct sun. AGO used to sell a paint temp gauge... Last I checked they don't, but you can probably find one.

This reminds me of when I was a young man.... the silly things we did.
I was 19 and washed my 89 LX 5.0... It was a HOT day. I drove downtown and parked the car under an overpass and setup to do a Megs #7.

People drove by me and gave me looks as if I were deranged. I probably was, and obviously would not do it today... but it seemed logical at the time some 28 years ago. Any way, even the cops drove by laughing and shaking their heads.

As Mike Phillips said, he did a classic Caddy in a parking garage. LOL.. I guess you do what you gotta do.

Bunky
02-08-2016, 11:19 AM
The key is the surface temperature of the paint rather than the sun itself. The warmer the surface the more likely to have issues. If it is not warm to the touch you are fine. The highest temperature depends on the product and how you apply it. It is more critical to apply thinly as possible. If it almost hazes as you spread it is too hot.

af90
02-08-2016, 11:56 PM
It's a combination of surface temps and direct sun. AGO used to sell a paint temp gauge... Last I checked they don't, but you can probably find one.

This reminds me of when I was a young man.... the silly things we did.
I was 19 and washed my 89 LX 5.0... It was a HOT day. I drove downtown and parked the car under an overpass and setup to do a Megs #7.

People drove by me and gave me looks as if I were deranged. I probably was, and obviously would not do it today... but it seemed logical at the time some 28 years ago. Any way, even the cops drove by laughing and shaking their heads.

As Mike Phillips said, he did a classic Caddy in a parking garage. LOL.. I guess you do what you gotta do.

You can find relatively reliable laser temperature gauges on Amazon for $10-15.

AutowerxDetailing
02-09-2016, 12:01 AM
Yea being early April it SHOULDN'T be too hot here in North Carolina. Thanks for the link. I have been wanting to try HD Speed, but it's an AIO polish and not just a wax. Maybe I can use it as an upsell for this detail since an AIO still requires more work than just applying a wax and thus the price for this service should reflect that. The truck is a 2012 Dodge that has never been polished so I'm sure by now it could benefit from a light one.

HD Speed is one of the easiest products to use. It wipes off with nearly zero effort. You can easily apply it in one pass, just like laying down a coat of wax, and buff it off all at once.

GSKR
02-09-2016, 07:11 AM
HD Speed is one of the easiest products to use. It wipes off with nearly zero effort. You can easily apply it in one pass, just like laying down a coat of wax, and buff it off all at once.off topic a little,Sunday I went to my hair salon that is cleaner than most dentist offices as I clean every other week including extracting the floor etc.I have a huge black bar made out of Formica,so applied hd speed I let it sit for 10 min at 74 degrees with the ac on and I couldn't remove it hard as nails,had to get it off with winded and went back to my old method just though it was kinda weird.