PDA

View Full Version : Lake Country Purple 6.5 wool pads

Pages : [1] 2

WAXOFF
02-07-2016, 01:45 PM
I bought the 6 pack of 6.5 wool foam pads and have never used them but from hearing forum members liking them I thought I would try them. Give me feedback on how and when to use them. I have a Flex 3401 and PC 7424XP and Dewalt 849. I mostly use M105/M205. Anything special way to clean them when you are done using etc. I use LC CCS pads for everything else. Just want the good the bad and the ugly. Thanks.

AGOatemywallet
02-07-2016, 04:22 PM
Great cut

Clean on the fly often with a pad brush, or they will get clumps of removed CC and polish; which will cause a less than ideal finish

I like them with M100. Great price. Longer working time than M105. Cuts almost as well.

conquistador
02-07-2016, 05:09 PM
Great cut

Clean on the fly often with a pad brush, or they will get clumps of removed CC and polish; which will cause a less than ideal finish

I like them with M100. Great price. Longer working time than M105. Cuts almost as well.

I'm curious on how to prime these pads. I have some hybrid wool pads that are similar.

AGOatemywallet
02-07-2016, 05:59 PM
I start with a quick circle of polish and add 4 dime sized dollops for each new section.

Dry buffing with this type of pad on a DA can cause major haze, if you don't keep the pad slightly moist.

I actually prefer the Hybrid Wool to the PFW

conquistador
02-07-2016, 06:47 PM
Thanks

sealthedeal
02-08-2016, 12:28 PM
Great cut

I recently got some hybrid wool pads. So a few questions :
For Cleaning with pad brush , is that better done with still pad and using the brush to push things away from pad ? Or to run it low speed and move brush across pad? I believe cleaning is where they lint ?

And how many pads on average per sedan do you use and how to wash them effectively

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBigEye
02-08-2016, 02:20 PM
I have also recently got the hybrid wool pads and have the same questions

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

AGOatemywallet
02-08-2016, 06:59 PM
I have a FLEX 3401 and I run the pads at speed, using the trigger for maybe 5 seconds...when it stops rotating, I brush it a few strokes in the reverse direction.

In my opinion, if you are doing heavy cutting, you should use 3-4 pads on a mid-sized vehicle.

When I am done with any pad, I toss it into a bucket of water & APC or Snappy Clean.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
02-09-2016, 01:22 AM
Forget about using the wool pads on the PC. It does not have to power to effectively use these pads. The 3401 has the ability to use these pads as well as the 849.

Wool is best suited to removing sanding marks and chopping nasty defects out of hammered paint. You can prime them first with a shot of pad conditioner and then add your product. Brush the face after each section pass with a pad conditioning brush with the machine running.

As with any other pad, when you are finished with it toss it in a bucket of APC or a pad granulated pad cleaner.

AGOatemywallet
02-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Forget about using the wool pads on the PC. It does not have to power to effectively use these pads.

I think the THiN version of these wool pads, in the 5 1/2" configuration are an exception to the rule and will work well on a PC.

The thicker, 6 1/2" PFW are probably not a good bet on a PC.

I also have the LC Hybrid Wool, which is structured more like a traditional wool pad; with longer strands. I do not think this pad would work well with a PC either.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-09-2016, 11:45 AM
I use them exclusively on my Flex 3401. I start with a circle of compound or polish then a few dots per section after. I use the LC 3000 Pad washer to clean mine on the fly. I usually work speed 4-5.

Paul A.
02-09-2016, 11:49 AM
I use the thin 4" PFW pads on my PC sometimes and do like the way it cuts. I wouldn't go any larger diameter for exactly what Mike said above. Speed 6 with them! VERY frequent cleanings though and keep the wool strands cleaned and worked back up after every section.

TheBigEye
02-09-2016, 11:49 AM
Thanks for tour answers I will try them on both my GG6" and the 849x. And as for cleaning it seems they can be treated as a foam pad

Paul A.
02-09-2016, 11:53 AM
I tend to clean them more frequently than my foam pads when i use them. Again, i clean it as thoroughly as i can with a brush after every single section. That said, i also change out to a clean, fresh PFW pad more frequently too. I have a bunch of them.

sealthedeal
02-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Thanks for tour answers I will try them on both my GG6" and the 849x. And as for cleaning it seems they can be treated as a foam pad

For GG6, you should look at the LC "thin" foamed wool pads (come as a pack of two, made for DAs).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk