PDA

View Full Version : Boat detailing???

fatguy
02-06-2016, 07:43 PM
Any one have any experience detailing fiber glass boats particularly bass boats? I was mentioning to a guy earlier about doing some detailing on the side and talked to him about his truck blah blah then he mentioned me doing his bass boat, it's a 98 stratus and I went and looked didn't get any pictures unfortunately but it did have some what looked like oxidation and just lacked any type of shine, I just told him I would have to get back to him so here I am. So can you just tackle it like a vehicle or does it require certain pads/polishes/sealants/etc and would a GG6 be strong enough to handle it? And how does boat carpet/indoor-outdoor carpet compare to carpet found in cars? He got a pretty large coffee stain in it that he was also worried about?

GSKR
02-06-2016, 08:38 PM
Kinda hard without pics,the coffee stain use a tanning stain remover may not come out if it has been on there for a while.outdoor carpet deosnt hold moisture in that long.auto carpet holds moisture and has diffent naps and not designed to get soaked.

suke
02-06-2016, 08:59 PM
I'm going to venture it's gel coat. Gel coat is worlds harder than your standard clear coat. I've done a jet ski with a flex 3401 when I was restoring it and it took forever to cut through. Using a rotary and 3m heavy cut compound cuts through oxidation pretty quick, using a wool pad. I've done a couple jet skis and boats with a rotary and it's quick work. I could have done it with a DA, but it'd likely take much more time.

sharpcanoe
02-07-2016, 09:11 AM
Check out Mike Phillips book..."How to detail boats".. it will help...lot of good info

CarolinaShine
02-07-2016, 11:25 AM
Get a rotary with/ wool pad and use some heavy cut marine polish. I have used 3M marine products with good results. You can really wow the customer if done properly, you'd be amazed at how much better it will look if you get rid of the oxidation. Just FYI - I tried my Griots 6" polisher and it did not do a whole lot even with aggressive pads. I bought a cheap harbor freight rotary just to use for boats and it has worked great. I will use that to polish and then go back to my Griots for the waxing.

custmsprty
02-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Any one have any experience detailing fiber glass boats particularly bass boats? I was mentioning to a guy earlier about doing some detailing on the side and talked to him about his truck blah blah then he mentioned me doing his bass boat, it's a 98 stratus and I went and looked didn't get any pictures unfortunately but it did have some what looked like oxidation and just lacked any type of shine, I just told him I would have to get back to him so here I am. So can you just tackle it like a vehicle or does it require certain pads/polishes/sealants/etc and would a GG6 be strong enough to handle it? And how does boat carpet/indoor-outdoor carpet compare to carpet found in cars? He got a pretty large coffee stain in it that he was also worried about?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/marine-31-boat-detailing-classes/98557-pictures-comments-marine-31-boat-detailing-class-february-6th-2016-a.html

fatguy
02-08-2016, 01:50 AM
Get a rotary with/ wool pad and use some heavy cut marine polish. I have used 3M marine products with good results. You can really wow the customer if done properly, you'd be amazed at how much better it will look if you get rid of the oxidation. Just FYI - I tried my Griots 6" polisher and it did not do a whole lot even with aggressive pads. I bought a cheap harbor freight rotary just to use for boats and it has worked great. I will use that to polish and then go back to my Griots for the waxing.

I will look into the harbor freight rotary thanks!