PDA

View Full Version : Drying process - wet vs dry towel (help)

AutoApollo
02-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Hey guys! I've been detailing cars for a while now but am constantly finding different methods of approach. One of them being the drying process. After a wash I usually wet a microfiber towel, wring it out and start wiping the car down. Next, I get my meguiars ultimate quik wax and spray some on a new dry microfiber towel and wipe the rest of the car down to rid of any moisture and also extend the life of the existing sealant.

I use a wet towel to dry the car, then use a dry towel for quik wax. But should I be using a wet towel with quik wax already on it to dry the car down? The whole reason I use a wet towel is because I read online that a dry towel can cause scratches...

Souldetailer
02-06-2016, 06:18 PM
I use a dry waffle-weave immediately after washing is done. I lay it across each side of the hood, presto, no more dry towel. I dab at first more than I wipe, for the towel get more moist. I have a second (smaller waffle-weave I use to do the leaky spots and hit the lower quadrants). Lastly I pull out the plushomatic towel and spray some fancy-pants crap on the vehicle so it shines like a new dime. Everybody is happy :xyxthumbs: let's grab a beer.
Take care.

Peace,

Darrin

TTQ B4U
02-06-2016, 06:26 PM
I read online that a dry towel can cause scratches...

true, they can.

I use a dry waffle-weave immediately after washing is done. I lay it across each side of the hood, presto, no more dry towel. I dab at first more than I wipe, for the towel get more moist.

^^ this. Blotting results in far less likelihood of scratching anything.

I use one for the main body panels. I then use a really nice plush 16x16 MF drying towell then for the lower panels. Lastly I have dedicated MF Towels for drying inside the doors and trunk/hood.

I tend to use a finishing spray like my blackfire as I dry too. Helps end any potential streaks and keeps the finish shiny and smoooooth.

BMW435
02-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Hey guys! I've been detailing cars for a while now but am constantly finding different methods of approach. One of them being the drying process. After a wash I usually wet a microfiber towel, wring it out and start wiping the car down. Next, I get my meguiars ultimate quik wax and spray some on a new dry microfiber towel and wipe the rest of the car down to rid of any moisture and also extend the life of the existing sealant.

I use a wet towel to dry the car, then use a dry towel for quik wax. But should I be using a wet towel with quik wax already on it to dry the car down? The whole reason I use a wet towel is because I read online that a dry towel can cause scratches...

After washing the car, what I do is soak a microfiber towel (make sure it's a good quality one) and wring it out. Then I lightly mist the car(while it's still wet) with a quick detailer and spread out the towel and do a combination of blotting/wiping the car dry. You could also use a spray wax as well (like Meguiar's D156).

Loach
02-06-2016, 06:36 PM
It depends on what you prefer. I don't see anything wrong with your original drying process. I get the most performance out of Ultimate Quik Wax if I apply it to paint that's been fully dried or has minimal moisture on it. But for maintenance washes, if I already have a base layer wax or sealant that I know is still performing well, I'm not concerned as much about maximizing the performance out of whatever spray wax I'm working with, so I'll often use them as a drying aid when the car is still wet. It will still boost the bottom layer protectant, and speed up the drying process maintaining the gloss and slickness of the paint. I still usually go over the paint for a final wipedown with a dry microfiber to remove any possible uneven areas that can lead to streaks.

Quality microfiber that is clean and dry when wiped on paint that is also clean and wet or dry, it will not scratch the paint. With some towels if they are slightly damp this can help them absorb water better than if they were completely dry.

AutoApollo
02-06-2016, 07:08 PM
It depends on what you prefer. I don't see anything wrong with your original drying process. I get the most performance out of Ultimate Quik Wax if I apply it to paint that's been fully dried or has minimal moisture on it. But for maintenance washes, if I already have a base layer wax or sealant that I know is still performing well, I'm not concerned as much about maximizing the performance out of whatever spray wax I'm working with, so I'll often use them as a drying aid when the car is still wet. It will still boost the bottom layer protectant, and speed up the drying process maintaining the gloss and slickness of the paint. I still usually go over the paint for a final wipedown with a dry microfiber to remove any possible uneven areas that can lead to streaks.

Quality microfiber that is clean and dry when wiped on paint that is also clean and wet or dry, it will not scratch the paint. With some towels if they are slightly damp this can help them absorb water better than if they were completely dry.

I agree, guess I'll stick to my original drying process. Thanks!