PDA

View Full Version : wax removal and microfiber

Jim w
02-05-2016, 06:57 PM
Hi all
How do I know what towel to use low or long pile
to buff wax? Should I use low pile like indigo towels to start
and follow up with long pile like a woolbie towel for final wipe?
I see ads from 300gsm to 700gsm.saying for wax removal. How do you determine what to use?

Thanks
Jim

Finemess
02-05-2016, 07:29 PM
Hi Jim, you name some really good towels there, you cant go wrong with those. You may want to try those or some of the others and see what you like best. I like these for wax removal.
Meguiars Professional Ultimate WipeŽ Detailing Cloth, Microfiber detailing towel, meguires ultimate wipe (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-wipe.html)

dcjredline
02-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Larry Kosilla or how ever u spell it...uses only towels in the 360gsm range and doesn't believe in the hype of "super plush" etc. That's what I do, I think my WW towels are the only ones over 360 (think they are 420) I'm very happy

GSKR
02-05-2016, 08:57 PM
The plush towels have to much drag, I like a short nap with total hand control and using your fingers through the towel to remove wax or sealants in tight spots.

hoyt66
02-06-2016, 04:24 AM
The plush towels have to much drag, I like a short nap with total hand control and using your fingers through the towel to remove wax or sealants in tight spots.

^^^^This^^^^:dblthumb2:

parshooter
02-06-2016, 07:45 AM

Yes. The ones I use are very short nap, and only 12" x 12", which makes them very easy to handle.

Jim w
02-06-2016, 11:49 AM
Thanks for all the responses; that helps a lot. I use a long pile to start one time but I had trouble getting all the wax complety off so I switched to a shorter pile and it worked much better. The drag makes sense GSKR.

Thanks
Jim

TTQ B4U
02-06-2016, 03:02 PM
Thanks for all the responses; that helps a lot. I use a long pile to start one time but I had trouble getting all the wax complety off so I switched to a shorter pile and it worked much better. The drag makes sense GSKR.

just be careful not to use the cheap local store ones that are the kind that stick to dry skin. THey are cheap and if you have a black car they will cause micro marring easily.

I like the heavier very soft plush and yes more costly MF 16x16 sized rags. Edge less ones are about $2 each from your online source of choice.

Ebg18t
02-06-2016, 03:36 PM
The gold JR's (~350 GSM)from AG are great all around wax removal towels. I use 600+ GSM for rinse less wash.

TacoRun
02-06-2016, 04:12 PM

So something like the GG wax removal cloths?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
02-07-2016, 01:26 AM
The gold JR's (~350 GSM)from AG are great all around wax removal towels. I use 600+ GSM for rinse less wash.

Agreed. The Chinchilla's are great for WW/RW uses.

Another option for compound/polish removal is the Blue Miracle towels.