PDA

View Full Version : detailing to prevent lawsuit?

Pages : [1] 2

Matt@Revive
02-05-2016, 05:52 PM
the shop i work out of services Fiskers, they had one towed in from Las Vegas about 8 months ago that was completely dead. the car sat in (key word "in") the shop on a rack for about 4 months waiting on parts and software. when i saw it at first i noticed the massive amount of paint oxidation over the entire car. i asked a few times if they wanted me to fix it, they said "it is a dealer owned car so they could take care of the paint when they get it back".

fast forward 4 months, the shop got a call from the owner of the car in Vegas pissed off because our shop destroyed the paint on the car.... the only thing whey touched were the windows so they could test drive the car.

so the shop owners approch me and ask if they can pay me to drive to Vegas to do paint correction on this car to prevent him from suing the shop. my responce was "heck yes, i'll take a paid trip to Vegas!!!", but now i'm wondering if i want to get myself involved with a pissed off, sue happy, vehicle owner who may point the finger at me for not being able to fix the paint.

custmsprty
02-05-2016, 06:10 PM
Matt it's sue / suing :props:

Make sure you're covered by the shops insurance and get it in writing. Have them give you something in writing that absolves you personally of all liabilities.

Matt@Revive
02-05-2016, 06:18 PM
Matt it's sue / suing :props:

Make sure you're covered by the shops insurance and get it in writing. Have them give you something in writing that absolves you personally of all liabilities.

thanks for looking out, 70 hour work week is killing my spelling

custmsprty
02-05-2016, 06:27 PM
If they will do that for you heck yeah, Vegas bound!

GSKR
02-05-2016, 06:45 PM
People can act weird cover your butt in anyway possible.How many hrs to drive out there?

Matt@Revive
02-05-2016, 07:11 PM
People can act weird cover your butt in anyway possible.How many hrs to drive out there?

Its a 5 hour drive

GSKR
02-05-2016, 08:03 PM
Its a 5 hour drive each way or round trip.

GSKR
02-05-2016, 08:06 PM
If you and the customer are on a level of agreement,and cover yourself I say screw it and go you only get one life enjoy yourself.

rustytruck
02-05-2016, 08:14 PM
I try to avoid problem customers.

Kamakaz1961
02-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Way cool challenge just CYA...Cover Your Ass! However, if you do a great job more future business. Good Luck and Good Hunting!

WAXOFF
02-05-2016, 08:58 PM
I say stay away. It might sound good now but I think someone is looking for a scapegoat.

Lt1xL82
02-06-2016, 09:45 AM
I try to avoid problem customers.

Exactly!

Audios S6
02-06-2016, 01:19 PM
If you can shed the liability, then it seems like a good deal. One thing you didn't cover....are you certain you can fix this? I mean, you've seen the condition and I assume you've done a Fisker before.

I would just document the heck out of this one. Tons of before pictures. Pictures of every section. Besides, you are getting paid for it and I'm sure the shop owner would appreciate your documentation to cover him after the fact.

RTexasF
02-06-2016, 03:16 PM
I say stay away. It might sound good now but I think someone is looking for a scapegoat.

I agree 100%. If your shop did not do this why would they be afraid of a lawsuit? The whole deal stinks to high heaven.

215Detailing
02-06-2016, 05:39 PM
I agree 100%. If your shop did not do this why would they be afraid of a lawsuit? The whole deal stinks to high heaven.

I also agree, But you may be like I was in my younger days very adventurous...... take plenty of photos and videos, before touching car and have owner sign off on a form stating what is expected before hand, he may try to change up. And get a lot of during and after photos, just in case he has issues down the road. Then have him sign off that he was satisfied with job and inspected before you left.