PDA

View Full Version : Flex 3401 owners - help a newbie out

david b
02-05-2016, 02:05 PM
I've watched a ton of Mike's videos and have read a bunch of articles on the Flex 3401 and how you're able to work faster and correct the paint in less time. How is that accomplished vs using a PC?

Paint correction for Flex - work a 2x2 ft section, 6-8 section passes, and slow arm speed.

Paint correction for PC - work a 2x2 ft section, 6-8 section passes, and slow arm speed.

Identical - how is the Flex faster? Planning to upgrade to the new Flex machine later this year.

Thanks!

VISITOR
02-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Flex XC 3401 VRG vs. Porter Cable 7424 (http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/flex_demo.html)

blkSRT
02-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Simply put the Flex can do more work quicker.

Angus
02-05-2016, 03:09 PM
I've watched a ton of Mike's videos and have read a bunch of articles on the Flex 3401 and how you're able to work faster and correct the paint in less time. How is that accomplished vs using a PC?

Paint correction for Flex - work a 2x2 ft section, 6-8 section passes, and slow arm speed.

Paint correction for PC - work a 2x2 ft section, 6-8 section passes, and slow arm speed.

Identical - how is the Flex faster? Planning to upgrade to the new Flex machine later this year.

Thanks!

Forced rotation makes a huge difference. A 3401 is a totally different beast vs a DA polisher like a PC or GG6.

SKorch630
02-05-2016, 03:28 PM
Subscribed. Just purchased a 3401 last week. Tossed around the idea of a GG6 or PC, but ultimately, that pink 3401 stole my cash!

dlc95
02-05-2016, 03:35 PM
The pad on a 3401 will maintain rotation regardless of pressure, or angle. On a random orbital, the pad can slow down or stall, especially when using more rigid foam pads, and/or encountering the various shapes found on the variety of automobiles a detailer can encounter. The forced action of the 3401 makes it incredibly effective at it's job. It can power through very tough situations, and even work with wool pads!

Personally, I work faster with the PC. The ability of the 3401 to maintain rotation, also limits the speed at which the pad rotates. While this is fantastic for some situations, I find myself reaching for the PC more often when I need high speed cutting, or one step polishing done.

One of the things I learned about the 3401 that have helped me, it re-loading the pad more towards the center. The 3401 doesn't seem to draw product towards the center like a PC style machine does. (Conversely, I reload the PC towards the outside edge of the pad.)

WAXOFF
02-05-2016, 04:01 PM
Well I started out with the PC. After about a year I bought a 3401. I never touched the PC until last weekend and that was becasue my 3401 was at another garage that I'm doing some cars at. I got the PC out to put some D 151 on my Jeep since it was 60 degress here in Pittsburgh on the weekend. I couldn't believe how hard it was to use the PC. it stoped at every curve and just didn't do what I was presently used to. I have a brand new Pink Flex in the box but wasn't ready to break it out yet but I learned a lesson. If you can afford it go for the Flex first.

AGOatemywallet
02-05-2016, 08:06 PM
As you say "6-8 passes"

The FLEX will easily do in 6 passes; what takes the PC 8 or more passes

Unless I am chasing a deep random isolated scratch, I try to keep the compounding stage to 4 passes. I will get as aggressive as needed so I do not have to do more than 4 passes.

I always follow with a polishing step. I don't do AIO or one-step polishes.

david b
02-10-2016, 11:59 AM
Thanks all for the feedback. Just working on my own vehicles as well as family/friends at the moment but want to expand. Thinking the Flex 3401 or the new Flex machine that'll be unveiled this year is the way to go.

VISITOR
02-10-2016, 03:49 PM
Thinking the Flex 3401 or the new Flex machine that'll be unveiled this year is the way to go.

the flex 3401 has been a proven workhorse for many many years and you can't go wrong with one. don't hesitate to pick this beast up...