PDA

View Full Version : Persistent wiper trails...

Pages : [1] 2 3

irvsmith
02-05-2016, 01:03 PM
I am struggling in getting a nice clear windshield that lasts a while (like a few days maybe?) I spent a couple hours on Sunday 1/31 trying to eliminate the what I will call oily film on the front windshield. The film follows the wiper pattern and I went through several rounds of Claying/IPA/Armor All Glass Cleaner/GG Glass Polish (both by hand and on a DA/5" orange compounding pad.)

While it never beaded up it looked pretty good but then this morning after a few days I have the following view.

The only things I can think are outstanding, assuming my above process was executed correctly, are:

Stoners/RainX instead of AA
Razor blade scraping
Swapping the blades with RainX blades or something equivalent
Heavier compound or MF pads but I was worried about putting in scratches.

Audios S6
02-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Did you clean or replace the blades at the same time as the windshield?

Any potential for contamination either from a dressing you used or general environment the car lives in?

Kerosene heater in garage?

Is this film only where the wipers are? Is it on the whole windshield and just that the wipers smear it?

Anything goofy in your washer fluid tank?

Rsurfer
02-05-2016, 01:42 PM
Get yourself some Ceriglass and change your blades.

irvsmith
02-05-2016, 01:44 PM
I did swipe the blades with the AA and I believe the IPA as well. I am thinking about replacing them. I will check the washer tank as well.

I am in an urban environment, Oakland CA and the car is outside 24/7. The film seems to be where the wiper trails as opposed to the whole windshield. That is a great question. That makes me think I will swap the blades and maybe RainX in the washer tank?

Thanks for your input and help.

irvsmith
02-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Get yourself some Ceriglass and change your blades.

Great. I will get some.

Rsurfer
02-05-2016, 01:47 PM
Great. I will get some.

It would not hurt to get some rayon glass pads.:props:

irvsmith
02-05-2016, 02:19 PM
It would not hurt to get some rayon glass pads.:props:

Ok I ordered some pads and the Ceriglass kit. I forgot to mention I also tried Bar Keepers Friend as well.

TTQ B4U
02-05-2016, 02:37 PM
Based on what I've read I'd bet it's residue in your washer tank.

I know with Audi they are sensitive to additives and 2x and 3x Rain-X products. one guy on another board cleaned his tank and found it gummed up his washer fluid sensor and heating elements.

I took the tank off our 9yr old minivan and cleaned it out and found simliar residue likely from years of various fluids interacting and sitting in their.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

irvsmith
02-05-2016, 03:40 PM
Ok I've never taken one off but what process do you user for cleaning?

Drain (somehow)
Rinse with water multiple times
Soap of some sort - assume it would not be recommend to use dawn so a mild APC would be better?
Refill with distilled water?

GSKR
02-05-2016, 06:50 PM
I am struggling in getting a nice clear windshield that lasts a while (like a few days maybe?) I spent a couple hours on Sunday 1/31 trying to eliminate the what I will call oily film on the front windshield. The film follows the wiper pattern and I went through several rounds of Claying/IPA/Armor All Glass Cleaner/GG Glass Polish (both by hand and on a DA/5" orange compounding pad.)

While it never beaded up it looked pretty good but then this morning after a few days I have the following view.

The only things I can think are outstanding, assuming my above process was executed correctly, are:

Stoners/RainX instead of AA
Razor blade scraping
Swapping the blades with RainX blades or something equivalent
Heavier compound or MF pads but I was worried about putting in scratches.

40664blades aren't wiping good,try new ones.

irvsmith
02-06-2016, 12:44 AM
Got the ceriglass and pads. I'll check on swapping the windshield fluid.

Rsurfer
02-06-2016, 02:47 PM
Got the ceriglass and pads. I'll check on swapping the windshield fluid.

If you got the Ceriglass kit, take your time and do small sections. It will take a lot of elbow grease. :props:

irvsmith
02-06-2016, 02:51 PM
Thanks. My hope is the pads and a DA will help too.

Rsurfer
02-06-2016, 03:48 PM
Thanks. My hope is the pads and a DA will help too.

Search AG or YouTube for some application vids. You must keep the Ceriglass wet, so it can get messy. After getting the film off your glass, I would seal your glass with Opti Glass or Car Pro's FLy by Forte. Good Luck and post your results.

AZpolisher15
02-06-2016, 05:10 PM
Ok I've never taken one off but what process do you user for cleaning?

Drain (somehow)
Rinse with water multiple times
Soap of some sort - assume it would not be recommend to use dawn so a mild APC would be better?
Refill with distilled water?

If you don't want to completely remove the tank, you can purchase siphons for just a few bucks at big box stores. Probably by the gas cans. Drain tank, Pour in some water/APC mix, stir, drain, repeat a couple times. Then just use some straight water to rinse, run some through the system, drain, and replace fluid. I'd then be using a glass cleaner with no rain-x type additives. Followed by a good wash with iso alcohol. Then use the glass cleaner again after iso. And for SURE replace your blades.