PDA

View Full Version : Help with interior leather please?

Pages : [1] 2

Wes8398
02-04-2016, 12:34 PM
Hi guys and girls,

Long story short, I recently swapped my original light gray seats for black ones out of a parts car that I had access to (exact same OEM seats, just different colours). I'd always wanted the contrast of black seats on the gray carpet and door panels, etc. The trouble is, I compromised a bit on the condition of the "new" seats versus my gray ones, which were pretty flawless besides being dirty. The "new" black seats have some areas that I'm hoping someone might help me repair or at least improve. It appears the top layer (a vinyl or clear coat type layer) has worn/peeled off in a couple spots. I'm going to be giving the seats a good cleaning and proper conditioning in the spring (maybe a Leatherique treatment, or a Griot's or Pinnacle Black Label combo), but before that I'd like to find out if there's anything I can do to improve the appearance of these spots. Here are a few pictures. Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy71/wes8398/Car%20Stuff/20160127_153250.jpg (http://s779.photobucket.com/user/wes8398/media/Car%20Stuff/20160127_153250.jpg.html)
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy71/wes8398/Car%20Stuff/20160127_153332.jpg (http://s779.photobucket.com/user/wes8398/media/Car%20Stuff/20160127_153332.jpg.html)

Eldorado2k
02-04-2016, 12:44 PM
What kind of car is that?

Wes8398
02-04-2016, 12:48 PM
What kind of car is that?

It's an '06 Caddy CTS-V... figuring you might recognize it judging by your avatar :xyxthumbs: I've got some pictures of her posted in another thread around here from a few years ago when I did my first "correction".

Eldorado2k
02-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Yep:)
My little bro has a 2004 CTS with black leather..

Nothing wrong with his seats so I don't have an exact comparison. But I think your stains look somewhat like the ones on my seats.. I'll go outside and take a pic real quik.

Do you have a steamer? Not for these new ones, I'm just curious if you had tried to steam clean your old seats prior to ditching them for these new ones.

Eldorado2k
02-04-2016, 01:19 PM
My seats are in a 97' SLS. I've tried everything to try and get rid of these marks but nothing worked. I have no idea what could've caused them or if they gradually just formed.. I sure would like to know just because I'm curious.

At this point it's clearly beyond any coating that was on top of the leather 1 day.

My guess is those marks on yours have also gone beyond the coating and might be impossible to completely remove. Keep us updated on what happens.

FUNX650
02-04-2016, 01:20 PM
•From the pictures...
-it looks like the seats are Protected/Top Coated, and
-are going to need to be re-colored/(dyed); and,
-then have a clear protective coating reapplied
(re-topcoated).

•There are DIY Kits available; or you can take them
to a Professional that specializes in leather refinishing.

•One thing to keep in mind:
-Since the first step is to properly clean and prep
the areas that are to be re-dyed---(whether it's
by you or a Professional)---don't apply anything to
condition the leather: Leave products like
Leatherique out of the equation, at least for now.
-All oils/oily substances have to be totally removed
before any pigmented dyes will adhere.

Note:
-I've used Leather Master's Leather Degreaser
to remove "oils". (This includes body oils.)

•The DIY Kits should have:
-a degreaser
-fillers for surface scratches and other blemishes
-Dye/colorant---mixed to match
-Clear protective coating

Afterwards:
-an application of a Leather Protectant
-a Top-Coated leather maintenance kit.

•Just an FYI:
-I've yet to have accomplished an acceptable
(to me) Leather refinishing project on the scope
of the project that you are now faced with.
-Smaller areas: somewhat better.
-I usually wind-up going the Professional route.

•Of course your welcome to choose your own poison.

Bob

Eldorado2k
02-04-2016, 01:27 PM
@Bob. Good info. Just wondering, what kind of ballpark figure does it cost to do that or have it done? Is it expensive?

FUNX650
02-04-2016, 01:43 PM
@Bob. Good info. Just wondering, what kind of ballpark figure does it cost to do that or have it done? Is it expensive?
Prices vary.

And even though everyone knows that I'm basically
a tight-wad...They also know I don't mind paying the
prevailing wages of leather Professionals for their
expertise and knowledge on a job well-done.

Bob

Eldorado2k
02-04-2016, 01:54 PM
Prices vary.

And even though everyone knows that I'm a tight-wad...

They also know I don't mind paying the prevailing wages

of leather Professionals for their expertise and knowledge.

Bob

I'm so cheap that unless I somehow caused it, I probably ain't gonna pay to repair it. Lol.

You see this, I actually caused this...

I was out using my steamer for the 1st time and made the rookie mistake of turning a dime sized hole into that! Lol.
I went over it gently and thought, "oh look it's gonna clean it" did a halfway aggressive pass with some APC & steam and 3 seconds later I had that. Lmao.

I had to laugh and be thankfull I didn't do it to someone else car.😌

I've looked into buying a replacement but I havnt found the exact match. I've seen used ones different color for outrageous prices.. The Bay has some new replacements but they're black w/red stripe. That's the only part that kinda bugs me about my interior.

Wes8398
02-04-2016, 02:51 PM
Eldorado - Ouch... those pics of yours look like some harsh damage done with that steamer!! In regards to my seats though, I don't think it's a matter of getting those spots OFF, as the spots themselves are already something that's worn off. I think it's more about adding that missing layer BACK again.

FUNX - Thanks for the info. Unfortunately a re-dye, etc job is not in the cards for these seats. I know that's an option, but 1) it's too expensive, and 2) from what I've read about re-dyes, they're hard to find someone to do the work (properly), and they also don't last long even when done right. Regardless, it's just not an option. If anything, I'd just throw my "old" gray seats back in before I went to the cost and efforts of completely redoing the black ones...ya know?

I'm really hoping there's something out there that can patch up / re-protect those worn off areas... maybe it's wishful thinking though.

cardaddy
02-04-2016, 03:05 PM
Quick fix....

Put the gray seats back in. :D

Top/clear coat has failed on those black ones.

I would say Katzkin, but I just checked and they don't offer Caddy leather. :( For my kids 4Runner though, front seats, $1995, and THAT is only for the covers, not the full seat assembly, and doesn't include installation. ;)

Mantilgh
02-04-2016, 03:09 PM
If you go to Leatheriques site they have dye kits and a product called Klear Kote. It's not cheap, but I don't know what the other kits cost or what the pros charge.

I have only used their rejuvenator and cleaner.

RPM_BR
02-04-2016, 03:40 PM
The failure of the top coat of the leather is a PITA, it seems it became a trend lately, this thin plastic membrane covering it.

It is weak, delicate, and the use of leather conditioner is pointless, since it seems to make the leather waterproof, thus making it not being able to absorb the lotion.

I have never seen a fix/solution for it.

Whoever has any info regarding fixing it or improving it, I would love to hear it, please share it.

I have a lot of clients in the same situation, especially in the driver's seat and steering wheel.

Wish they made the leather in the old way, without it.

I had a client that, out of despair, tried to remove it all, and made it worse.

Eldorado2k
02-04-2016, 04:23 PM
Eldorado - Ouch... those pics of yours look like some harsh damage done with that steamer!!

Only the hole in the center console was done with the steamer. Those other spots have been that way since I bought the car just over 2 yrs. ago. The spots were actually darker but I've gone at them enough times that they've lightened up a bit.

GSKR
02-04-2016, 05:06 PM
My seats are in a 97' SLS. I've tried everything to try and get rid of these marks but nothing worked. I have no idea what could've caused them or if they gradually just formed.. I sure would like to know just because I'm curious.

At this point it's clearly beyond any coating that was on top of the leather 1 day.

My guess is those marks on yours have also gone beyond the coating and might be impossible to completely remove. Keep us updated on what happens.
Cadillacs have the worst leather,nothing you can do with that other than try to camouflage it with conditioner or a dressing,or try to see if there is a interior repair guy and have him shoot some color on it but don't expect longevity out of the repair.