PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Firetruck???????

scribble79
02-04-2016, 09:11 AM
I have been tasked with finding a "kit" for making our rigs shine, especially the polished stainless and chrome. We do have an IO water system that is supposed to be used to help eliminate the hard water spots but not everyone uses it like there supposed to.

Any way on to my question.

We are looking for products to help take our dull stainless back to the shine it had 10 years ago when brand new. We have hug front bumpers that are the size of smart cars so being able to use pwr products would be helpful. We also want to remove swirls in the solid painted surfaces as well. I also need something that Is easy for most everyone to use.
I am starting from scratch.

I appreciate everyone's help in this matter.

GSKR
02-04-2016, 09:25 AM
I assume you want to tackle this by hand as you didn't mention about any machine polishing.use a cleaner wax for paint and flitz for the chrome.Get a gallon of spraywax for maintenance . There are hundreds of products and opinions, this method by far would be the easiest.maybe look into hydro 2 for a rinse or reload spray for easy maintenance on paint and chrome or diamond plating panels.

scribble79
02-04-2016, 09:30 AM
We would prefer a machine to use due to the size of the items and the quanity. I have 3 engines, 2 tenders W/ 2000 gallon stainless tank bodies, 2 ambulance, 1 brush truck, and 1 command car. I think it would take me a year from start to finish to do the entire fleet and then have to start all over again.

I know there is no one kit for everything we are looking to do but they are OK with some piecing together.

Bill1234
02-04-2016, 11:10 AM
I have been tasked with finding a "kit" for making our rigs shine, especially the polished stainless and chrome. We do have an IO water system that is supposed to be used to help eliminate the hard water spots but not everyone uses it like there supposed to.

Any way on to my question.

We are looking for products to help take our dull stainless back to the shine it had 10 years ago when brand new. We have hug front bumpers that are the size of smart cars so being able to use pwr products would be helpful. We also want to remove swirls in the solid painted surfaces as well. I also need something that Is easy for most everyone to use.
I am starting from scratch.

I appreciate everyone's help in this matter.

Good that you are trying to maintain a vehicle to start.

Going by the process >Wash , try the montana boars hair wash brush with two buckets and grit guards. Meguiars hyper wash is probably the best value.

Dry, Leaf blower definitely , cobra guzzler or absorber towels will work

Clay-You could probably do a clay pad on a da or something similar.

Polish-I like mothers metal polishes but I feel get a quality one and you should be good. You most likely have diamond plated steel and or chrome which is polished steel. Maybe a power ball or cone would help you here

Paint correction-I would go with HD products here on a DA and meguiars microfiber cut pads. The HD formula does not dry up like m105 and is easy to wipe off. The best DA for the money on the market is proabably the original Griots DA. Most power, lifetime warranty and works well

Wax or sealant. Maybe a coating would be easier or you could do collinite 845 on a DA which would speed up the process

Mantilgh
02-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Maybe you call or email Nick, or someone else here at AG, and see if they'll set you up a package. Tell them your situation and or refer them to this thread.

I would think something like a couple PCs, or GG6s, a stack of pads, and a gallon of D151 or some other AIO. You could probably hit a lot of the stainless with the polisher too.

What kind of paint do these have on them?

scribble79
02-04-2016, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure on the paint. The oldest truck which won't get much love is about about 20 years old and the newest is 10 years old.

BillE
02-05-2016, 07:57 AM
Where are you located?

Maybe a member is close by and could help ya get started.

Bill