PDA

View Full Version : Beginning stages of oxidation?

Pages : [1] 2 3

RDT
02-02-2016, 02:03 PM
I had left my garage queen out for a week in the elements and came home from a work related trip to what appears to be oxidation. No cover on at the time while it sat. I usually don't cover the car, however unfortunately getting my garage worked on at the moment) Clear coat surface is smooth to the touch, looks like chalky clouds. I have not tried anything. Figured best to get some advice on what the next steps are. Thank you all in advance for you help.

Sorry for the pictures low quality.

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/rtrono/IMG_3030.jpg

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/rtrono/FullSizeRender_1.jpg

BTLew81
02-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Could be, but I might also guess it could be moisture that was trapped under the cover.

RDT
02-02-2016, 02:22 PM
Could be, but I might also guess it could be moisture that was trapped under the cover.

No cover while I was out of town. Getting some work done on my garage and cannot move the car in till next week, figured best to keep it covered and out of direct sunlight in the mean time.

Mantilgh
02-02-2016, 02:26 PM
Could it be marring from the cover?

Edit: sorry, now noticed you said the cover was not on it at the time. It kinda does look like marring though.

NightForce
02-02-2016, 02:35 PM
Looks more like a scrape to me but it's hard to tell from the photo.....:eek:

LSNAutoDetailing
02-02-2016, 02:39 PM
RDT, Sadly, I cannot tell what I'm looking at from the pics. I see white horizontal marks on the fender well, and a horizontal white near the roof line. But I can't tell if that's a reflection of clouds??

Oxidation would not happen within one week on single stage paint, never the less clear coat. It would take years, with no protection, no maintenance and lots of industrial fall out eating away at the finish.

Can you get some better pictures at a different angle to determine what it is we're looking at vs. reflections? Perhaps take an LED light and hold it to the surface while shooting the pic?

What does it feel like when you rub your hand over it or a baggie test?

Could it be bird drippings that smeared?

Edit: Ok, I think I see the faint clouding in the photo... Sometimes it helps if one could edit the photo and draw a circle around the area of concern. You say you didn't have it covered, but it really looks like moisture buildup on something that left an impression... i.e. leaves that fell and got stuck to the finish, or someone leaned something against the car, or the cover left an imprint. If it wasn't there a week ago, and now it's there, I doubt it's permanent.

You should start with washing the effected area.
Use an ultra-fine poly clay with a liberal amount of clay lube, see how it looks.
Either, compound/polish, AIO or go right to wax/sealant (all options for you to explore) not telling you to do all, just what you feel comfortable with. Whatever you do, perform the least aggressive first in a test spot.

But I'd be interested to see how it cleans up after washing and clay.

RDT
02-02-2016, 03:55 PM
Looks more like a scrape to me but it's hard to tell from the photo.....:eek:

RDT, Sadly, I cannot tell what I'm looking at from the pics. I see white horizontal marks on the fender well, and a horizontal white near the roof line. But I can't tell if that's a reflection of clouds??

Oxidation would not happen within one week on single stage paint, never the less clear coat. It would take years, with no protection, no maintenance and lots of industrial fall out eating away at the finish.

Can you get some better pictures at a different angle to determine what it is we're looking at vs. reflections? Perhaps take an LED light and hold it to the surface while shooting the pic?

What does it feel like when you rub your hand over it or a baggie test?

Could it be bird drippings that smeared?

Edit: Ok, I think I see the faint clouding in the photo... Sometimes it helps if one could edit the photo and draw a circle around the area of concern. You say you didn't have it covered, but it really looks like moisture buildup on something that left an impression... i.e. leaves that fell and got stuck to the finish, or someone leaned something against the car, or the cover left an imprint. If it wasn't there a week ago, and now it's there, I doubt it's permanent.

You should start with washing the effected area.
Use an ultra-fine poly clay with a liberal amount of clay lube, see how it looks.
Either, compound/polish, AIO or go right to wax/sealant (all options for you to explore) not telling you to do all, just what you feel comfortable with. Whatever you do, perform the least aggressive first in a test spot.

But I'd be interested to see how it cleans up after washing and clay.

Thank you guys for the replies! I have not clayed yet, nor did the baggie test. plan to do so after work today. I will also get more pictures with different angles. Here is the same photo with some editing.

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/rtrono/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-02%20at%2012.36.38%20PM.png

Eldorado2k
02-02-2016, 04:05 PM
Call me crazy but I'll go out on a limb and say a simple 2B car wash might solve the problem.
I just can't imagine anything like what it looks like actually happening to a car that had spent it's whole time being a garage queen up until a week ago... Unless it was parked on the Moon, or maybe Mars? Lol.

RDT
02-02-2016, 04:18 PM
Call me crazy but I'll go out on a limb and say a simple 2B car wash might solve the problem.
I just can't imagine anything like what it looks like actually happening to a car that had spent it's whole time being a garage queen up until a week ago... Unless it was parked on the Moon, or maybe Mars? Lol.

My thoughts as well! It is a car that is rarely driven. Less than 1k miles last year. Located in Northern CA and away from salty/snowy roads. I am really hoping it is something simple. Cant wait till I'm off work. Going to wash, clay, polish, and wax. When I noticed this last night I was only able to use a quick detailer spray and microfiber cloth.

However it was raining off and on during the week it was outside. No cover was on the car during this time.

Eldorado2k
02-02-2016, 04:36 PM
My thoughts as well! It is a car that is rarely driven. Less than 1k miles last year. Located in Northern CA and away from salty/snowy roads. I am really hoping it is something simple. Cant wait till I'm off work. Going to wash, clay, polish, and wax. When I noticed this last night I was only able to use a quick detailer spray and microfiber cloth.

However it was raining off and on during the week it was outside. No cover was on the car during this time.

I hope for your sake it wasn't vandalism😒 I hate to ask but could that be a possibility?

GSKR
02-02-2016, 05:03 PM
Thank you guys for the replies! I have not clayed yet, nor did the baggie test. plan to do so after work today. I will also get more pictures with different angles. Here is the same photo with some editing.

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/rtrono/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-02%20at%2012.36.38%20PM.pngTry a hairdryer some new cars especially mb have that promblem under sheeting on black cars,we used a heat gun and it worked.Try the hairdryer on hot and close to the paint,back off and see if your making progress.

RDT
02-02-2016, 05:04 PM
I hope for your sake it wasn't vandalism😒 I hate to ask but could that be a possibility?

I live in a small-ish town where a cat in a tree is a big deal. I would think that it should be fine. However, you never know! Someone tossed a burrito at my Tacoma parked in the street a few years back. More than likely some high school kids fooling around. Vandalism could be possible.

Eldorado2k
02-02-2016, 05:39 PM
I live in a small-ish town where a cat in a tree is a big deal. I would think that it should be fine. However, you never know! Someone tossed a burrito at my Tacoma parked in the street a few years back. More than likely some high school kids fooling around. Vandalism could be possible.

About a month ago I noticed someone had stolen 2 of the "Kia" valve stem caps I bought for it... Kinda ticked me off but not too bad because they weren't too expensive but still...

And just last week someone stole the center caps from 2, yes just 2 of the wheels on my dads Tacoma. That kinda really pissed me off.. And to make it worse I think the jerk who stole it had plans for the other 2 caps because I caught a guy slowly walking down the street until he saw me in front of the house. Then he suddenly began looking at his phone and turned around, got back into a van parked down the block and made a U turn and bolted! I totally got the feeling it was the scumbag himself. Smh.

A detailed vehicle gets noticed to a higher degree. No matter what kind it is. It's unfortunate sometimes..

Btw, I've removed the 2 remaining center caps until I decide to buy the replacements. I hate a thief.

LSNAutoDetailing
02-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Someone tossed a burrito at my Tacoma parked in the street a few years back .

Was the burrito good? I mean, you didn't let it go to waste did you??? :hungry:

Eldorado2k
02-02-2016, 06:18 PM
Speaking of vandalism.. Get a load of what I'm looking at here. It looks like some thug decided to scratch the name of a local gang on the hood of this fairly new Chevy Tahoe. What are the odds I walk out here and see this?? Crazy..

Looks like it was done with a knife. People these days. Smh.

Hmm... I might be able to remove those scratche$$$. Lol.