PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE - Aluminum Clad Wheel Polishing

caudleej
01-31-2016, 11:48 PM
After researching and reading comments posted by members here I used what I learned to go at the wheels today. I went simple and used some of my consumer line Meguiar's products I had in the stash. I am very happy with the results.

Through research and information from others on here about clear coated aluminum wheels I figured out that OEM wheels are probably not polished to perfection prior to being clear coated and the clear coat tends to be a bit on the hazy size due to the reflectivity of the aluminum. Additionally a lot of the scratches you see are from rocks, sand, etc. that are almost through the clear coat so therefore they will not be removed by polishing.

Anyhow, I used my Mother's PowerCone, Meguiar's CCS Polish, and Meguiar's Cleaner Wax Paste, and a clay bar.

I clayed the wheels which made a huge improvement in the appearance alone followed by working the polish with the PowerCone and application of the cleaner wax.

I will most likely follow up in a day or so with a more durable wax or sealant. I mainly used the cleaner wax for its cleansers and cleaners incorporated.

The wheels have a nice glow to them and look well taken care of. I have learned that you cannot expect perfection from these OEM wheels because they where not perfect to begin with.

bamamastiff44
10-31-2016, 04:55 PM
That looks great! Did you remove your wheels to Polish? Any thing else you might have discovered that yo u like?