PDA

View Full Version : Question about microfiber gsm

Pages : [1] 2

Based
01-30-2016, 07:21 PM
Ok so is GSM still a thing? Don't see it on this description:

Super Plush Junior Microfiber Towel, 16 x 16 inches (http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-deluxe-jr--microfiber-towel.html)

I'm looking for some towels (5 - 10) just for wiping off compound and clay lube/residue.

blkSRT
01-30-2016, 07:25 PM
It's listed just below the picture.

roguegeek
01-30-2016, 07:30 PM
Ok so is GSM still a thing?

Yes. It absolutely is an important specification that people should use in deciding what towel is going to work best for their needs.

BrutalNoodle
01-30-2016, 07:36 PM
600 gsm.

Nice towels. Excellent price, although I preferred 300-400 gsm for compound removal.

They are excellent for waterless & drying.

Based
01-30-2016, 07:44 PM
It's listed just below the picture.

I see 600 g/m2 I guess that's the same thing lol.

Ebg18t
01-30-2016, 08:07 PM
I actually prefer the gold plush Jr for removing polish etc.. These are ~380gsm

Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel, gold detail cloth, buffing towel, microfiber buffing towel, micro fiber (http://www.autogeek.net/gold-plush-jr-towel.html)

pheerix
01-30-2016, 08:18 PM
Not a big fan of those towels. They're not very plush so high GSM is due to the weight of the towel. It's a very dense towel rather than fluffy if that makes any sense. Better for spray waxes/sealants or for the when paint is clean. If you want a waterless wash/QD towel I recommend the Chinchilla or Buff and Shine.

Based
01-30-2016, 10:07 PM
I actually prefer the gold plush Jr for removing polish etc.. These are ~380gsm

Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel, gold detail cloth, buffing towel, microfiber buffing towel, micro fiber (http://www.autogeek.net/gold-plush-jr-towel.html)

Ok I ordered a 12 pack of those. I didn't realize you save so much money ordering in bulk. $5.99 for one but a 12 pack is 30$. And with the sale AG is having right now it's even better.

Ebg18t
01-30-2016, 10:12 PM
Ok I ordered a 12 pack of those. I didn't realize you save so much money ordering in bulk. $5.99 for one but a 12 pack is 30$. And with the sale AG is having right now it's even better.

Just wash them before use. I use All Free & Clear detergent instead of a MF detergent. Towels have held up great and a very functional size. I think you'll be happy with them.

Based
01-30-2016, 10:47 PM
Just wash them before use. I use All Free & Clear detergent instead of a MF detergent. Towels have held up great and a very functional size. I think you'll be happy with them.

I use free and clear on all my stuff. Should I buy dedicated MF detergent or is that ok? I bought new meguiars mits and I have green proforce MF towels from SAMs. I've been washing with regular free and clear but maybe I should get MF detergent?

cardaddy
01-30-2016, 11:40 PM
Not a big fan of those towels. They're not very plush so high GSM is due to the weight of the towel. It's a very dense towel rather than fluffy if that makes any sense. Better for spray waxes/sealants or for the when paint is clean. If you want a waterless wash/QD towel I recommend the Chinchilla or Buff and Shine.

That's a good find there. :dblthumb2:

I've said that for a LOOOOOONG time about the Cobra 530's, comparing them to the light blue Elite Plush 530's that come from 'that place in California', with that name we can't mention.:rolleyes: The Cobra's seem stiff albeit a bit thicker because they have longer loops, (but don't have as many loops) yet nowhere near as soft as the 'other' Elite Plush 530's. (Which btw are my all time favorite towel for overall durability, considering they do SOOOOOO many things well.) :D

Looking at those 600's, and comparing them to say 12 of the 'other' Autofiber Elite Plush 530's, or say a dozen of the Elite Ultrafine 500's they are still a bit more than either of them, although only 6~9 bucks. (Before any current sale discounts of course.) :) The real difference though will show up in shipping. Autogeek is hard to beat when it comes to shipping cost, not to mention, I tend to get my orders 2~3 days after placing them.:xyxthumbs: Surely can't say that when I have towels coming from San Diego or Idaho... fo' sho'. ;)

Although... it's great to finally see AG selling towels for near what our 'other' favorite towel vendors have been selling them for, literally forever. (Actually, AG's prices are even better than those guys when you get the sale percentage taken off the current sale prices.) ;) Plus... more than a few of the AG towels are the same ones you'll get 'over yonder'.

I agree that the Gold Plush Jr's are the towel to go with for most of your uses. Just make sure you get AT LEAST a couple dozen of them! And now... given the current pricing, literally about 3 bucks difference per dozen (before any sale discounts) between them and my all time favorite 'west cost gold' towel, they are a no brainer. (At least to anyone east of the Mississippi that wants their towels fast, and doesn't want to pay for FedEx shipping from the west coast.) :dblthumb2:

Now of course were you to step into the wholesale end.... things change in a HURRY. ;) Funny though with that. The Idaho guys give you all these fancy 'wholesale' pricing schedules, but they hammer you on shipping (instead of free shipping on 'retail' sales). Take one of their towels, a "420"... you can't even get that one via wholesale unless you order 175 of them, then you end up adding over 25¢ per towel to the cost in shipping. I can assure you... the LAST THING I need about now is 175 of the darned things! :laughing:

Best bet is to order a couple dozen Jr's, or something similar from your favorite place that has free (or at least discounted) shipping and get to wiping paint. :D

Based
01-31-2016, 12:05 AM
Well I only ordered a dozen. Ill order some more soon but for now no. I'll just wash the car a couple times and see how I like the new mits/towels and then ill have money for more gold plush jr's so I can polish/wax.

pheerix
01-31-2016, 12:08 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160131/9be933e26a0a124208138103fc040221.jpg

Here's a pic for comparison. Purple one is the AG one mentioned in the OP. On top is a 530 GSM towel Cardaddy mentioned. The 530 is actually a bit plusher but like I said the AG purple is a heavier and denser towel. Compare those with the 600 GSM Chinchilla on the right and the monster 700 GSM Shine and Buff towel on top.

fly07sti
01-31-2016, 02:08 AM

I've said that for a LOOOOOONG time about the Cobra 530's, comparing them to the light blue Elite Plush 530's that come from 'that place in California', with that name we can't mention.:rolleyes: The Cobra's seem stiff albeit a bit thicker because they have longer loops, (but don't have as many loops) yet nowhere near as soft as the 'other' Elite Plush 530's. (Which btw are my all time favorite towel for overall durability, considering they do SOOOOOO many things well.) :D

Looking at those 600's, and comparing them to say 12 of the 'other' Autofiber Elite Plush 530's, or say a dozen of the Elite Ultrafine 500's they are still a bit more than either of them, although only 6~9 bucks. (Before any current sale discounts of course.) :) The real difference though will show up in shipping. Autogeek is hard to beat when it comes to shipping cost, not to mention, I tend to get my orders 2~3 days after placing them.:xyxthumbs: Surely can't say that when I have towels coming from San Diego or Idaho... fo' sho'. ;)

Although... it's great to finally see AG selling towels for near what our 'other' favorite towel vendors have been selling them for, literally forever. (Actually, AG's prices are even better than those guys when you get the sale percentage taken off the current sale prices.) ;) Plus... more than a few of the AG towels are the same ones you'll get 'over yonder'.

I agree that the Gold Plush Jr's are the towel to go with for most of your uses. Just make sure you get AT LEAST a couple dozen of them! And now... given the current pricing, literally about 3 bucks difference per dozen (before any sale discounts) between them and my all time favorite 'west cost gold' towel, they are a no brainer. (At least to anyone east of the Mississippi that wants their towels fast, and doesn't want to pay for FedEx shipping from the west coast.) :dblthumb2:

Now of course were you to step into the wholesale end.... things change in a HURRY. ;) Funny though with that. The Idaho guys give you all these fancy 'wholesale' pricing schedules, but they hammer you on shipping (instead of free shipping on 'retail' sales). Take one of their towels, a "420"... you can't even get that one via wholesale unless you order 175 of them, then you end up adding over 25¢ per towel to the cost in shipping. I can assure you... the LAST THING I need about now is 175 of the darned things! :laughing:

Best bet is to order a couple dozen Jr's, or something similar from your favorite place that has free (or at least discounted) shipping and get to wiping paint. :D

The Godfather of microfiber has spoken! I just received my 19 dozen gold jr's this past week. Will be posting a pic on "unpacking" thread tomorrow. Used 2 AG gift certificates and my cost ended up being $1.26 per towel. Hard to beat!

mrstop
02-04-2016, 11:24 AM

Looking at those 600's, and comparing them to say 12 of the 'other' Autofiber Elite Plush 530's, or say a dozen of the Elite Ultrafine 500's they are still a bit more than either of them, although only 6~9 bucks. (Before any current sale discounts of course.) :)

What are thoughts on the silk versus microfiber (cotton?) banding?