PDA

View Full Version : Layering Extra Coats of Sealant

willowcat11
01-30-2016, 12:43 AM
By doing this, will it help create a more Durable and longer lasting Protection.

By applying the first coat. Letting it Cure, then applying a second coat, and more if you wanted.

Thanks all!

Ray

apthai
01-30-2016, 01:41 AM
I personally think you gain very little in "longer lasting" protection by adding a second coat. What do you gain with a second coat is ensuring total coverage. Of course letting it cure between coats.

FUNX650
01-30-2016, 07:51 AM
•I'm sticking with 2 coats/layers for uniform coverage.

:idea:

•Tape off a few sections on a couple of different
panels (for layering purposes)—aka: "Test Spots".
-See if layering creates an actual difference (I doubt
that any attempts at layering will cause any actual
harm to the paint);
-And then, based on your test-spots' findings: you can
make an informed decision to add more layers of the
Sealant to the entire vehicle, if you so desire; or not.

•As an Editorial:
-I'll bet that (excessive) layering of Sealants won't
harm the Companies that make/sell the products.

Bob

Jowillie
01-30-2016, 08:47 AM
I glad you asked this question. I was wondering the same thing. I recently used DG105 with the bonding agent and it looks great. We just went through the snow and salted roads and I was wondering about a "reinforcing" coat. Others have also advised that it is not necessary, but may assure complete coverage. So...I will wash and treat with DG Aquawax and see what happens.

ScottB
01-30-2016, 10:15 AM
By doing this, will it help create a more Durable and longer lasting Protection.

By applying the first coat. Letting it Cure, then applying a second coat, and more if you wanted.

Thanks all!

Ray

As offered above ... it is often impossible to measure if additional coats add more protection and better looks. Often it is suggested -2- coats are best to provide complete coverage. Anything more might simply be wasted product.

I believe its called the "point of diminishing returns" ...:props:

Paul A.
01-30-2016, 10:23 AM
I also max out at 2 coats of sealant to simply insure more even coverage. I apply so thin (as recommended) that i like to think the areas thinner than some from the first layer might even out a bit. My second layer isn't much about extending any durability. I do think my QD applications after every weekly wash might help that though.

I will add that i "top" my LSP twice a year to help combat our semiannual love bug seasons down here in FL. For that i use a carnauba based product and only on the high impact areas (side view mirrors, nose, front half of hood and front third of roof).

willowcat11
01-30-2016, 11:02 PM
Thanks greatly guys. You all posted great points and suggestoins. And I'll take your advice on simply doing 2 coats to ensure complete coverage!

If I'm ever looking for longer durability I will start looking at coatings!

Have a Awesome Sunday!

Ray