PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's M20 Polymer Sealant Dwell Time?

caudleej
01-30-2016, 12:12 AM
Just a quick question about M20. Does leaving it sit on the surface longer prior to wiping it off do any good. I traditionally do an entire vehicle and then start wiping where I started the application. I've also heard people leaving it on overnight. Haven't done that yet.

Thanks

VISITOR
01-30-2016, 12:22 AM
if i'm not mistaken, m20 (older technology) is a product that needs to haze before wiping off. try waiting at least twenty minutes (it will vary with temp) and then do the swipe test and determine if you can wipe it off then...

GSKR
01-30-2016, 08:15 AM
Stuff dries pretty quick .

Mike Phillips
01-30-2016, 08:36 AM
You want to allow it to dry to a haze before removing. M20 tends to dry pretty quick so that's about 10-15 minutes for most environments.

This means when you go to remove it you can pretty much,

follow your path of travel

That means start removing it where you started to apply it and then continue around the car in that manner.

Also, as far as older technology goes, when I worked for Meguiar's the chemist told me that most formulas are updated when new technology was available and these were rolling updates. That means often times a formula will be updated without any fanfare or publicity.

Back in th 1980's and 1990's, so back before the Internet and thus back before we had SO MANY CHOICES for products two staples in my arsenal were M20 and M16.

After a full machine buffing I would apply a coat of M20 to seal the surface and make the paint slippery. This was also before microfiber towels were invented so for the most part we were all using cotton terrycloth towels so I liked the slippery, slick finish M20 imparted on the paint. Then I would top M20 with a thin layer of M16 and let it dry for about a 1/2 hour or until I was finished edging the car. Then I'd remove it and about 99.999 percent of the time I had a flawless swirl-free finish.

So I was topping before the word topping was a word we use for a waxing procedure.

I have an article on that... :D

Topping - Definition - How to Top also called Topping (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40089-topping-definition-how-top-also-called-topping.html)

:)

shagnat
01-30-2016, 09:57 PM
Hmmm....... might have to give the M20 a try when my current stash of similar products are used up. Sounds pretty good and not so finicky as some products that are "newer".

cardaddy
01-30-2016, 10:38 PM
Have used M20 (since before the 2.0 days) and still do. It's not a 'sexy' as WGDGPS, but it's no slouch either. ;)

How long you leave it (without it drying) is totally dependent on the surface and outside temps. Of course I'd not suggest working in the sun with it, but I've usually done the entire vehicle, then wiped.

If it's really hot and dry, you'll not be able to get the whole thing coated before wiping (without it tending to get a bit harder to wipe off). Especially so if it's a larger vehicle. ;)

Another thing with M21 2.0... is you can top it with M26, either right after, or better yet... let it cure for a day then top it. M26 will bring out a depth and 'pop' that are stunning! :D

caudleej
02-02-2016, 10:01 PM
Thanks everyone for all of you input on this subject; Mike, I am especially honored and great full to have your opinion on this as well. I have traditionally used M20 topped with M26. I have heard the M26 does not last as long as some other waxes per say but it gives a really nice look to the finish. It's affordable and very easy to use therefore on my personal vehicles I just re-apply it every month or so or as I see fit. I use UGW after every wax and I highly recommend it to customers to maintain their finish following a full correction, seal, and wax.

Any one have any better combinations for sealants and waxes that are more durable but still maintain a high quality finish.