PDA

View Full Version : Paint sealant durability?

Pages : [1] 2

Jrdriver
01-29-2016, 03:35 PM
Is it really possible is get up to 12 months out of a paint sealant if your vehicle isn't garage kept and you have road salt and whatnot in the winter and which sealants would be durable to do once a year without wearing off?

asianisafish
01-29-2016, 03:46 PM
I get road salt where I'm at, and I've tried a few sealants and waxes, non have survived one day where fresh salt was present on the road.... :/

Jrdriver
01-29-2016, 03:56 PM
I get road salt where I'm at, and I've tried a few sealants and waxes, non have survived one day where fresh salt was present on the road.... :/

Not even if topped with a wax?

jmsc
01-29-2016, 04:05 PM
What waxes, hybrids, sealants are you using and where do you live?

Rsurfer
01-29-2016, 04:09 PM
FK1000 or any Collinite waxes would be your best bet. If you want better protection, go with a coating.

Jrdriver
01-29-2016, 04:12 PM
Actually I am using collinite currently but last time I washed it seems as though it wasn't beading water anymore after 2 coats late in October and I live in northern Ohio

AZpolisher15
01-29-2016, 04:39 PM
Actually I am using collinite currently but last time I washed it seems as though it wasn't beading water anymore after 2 coats late in October and I live in northern Ohio

My experience with Collinite has been great in SD where we have salt covered roads all winter. My daily driver is still beading after three months with Coli 476.

Jrdriver
01-29-2016, 04:52 PM
My experience with Collinite has been great in SD where we have salt covered roads all winter. My daily driver is still beading after three months with Coli 476.

Oh I'm not knocking the stuff by any means still my go to wax I was just wondering if there was any way to amp up the protection to get through the winter

Ebg18t
01-29-2016, 05:28 PM

I have a hard time believing 'non have survived one day'.

FUNX650
01-29-2016, 07:02 PM
Not even if topped with a wax?
A traditional Finishing Wax usually will not have
as much durability as a traditional Sealant.

The lack of water beads/water beading is not always
an indicator that the protection, or even the durability,
of an LSP has lapsed.

Bob

asianisafish
01-29-2016, 07:16 PM
I have a hard time believing 'non have survived one day'.

It's true though.....
The previous day before it snows, I've put down sealants and waxes and combos of the two on the car and the next day I drive to school and work, come home, and the next day I go go the coin op and rinse the salt off with high pressure washer with water- not soap- and see zero beading in the area affected by the salt. Which is the fenders, lower door, rear fenders and trunk.

Have you had any luck with any sealants or waxes?

Jrdriver
01-29-2016, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=FUNX650;1342992]A traditional Finishing Wax usually will not have

Yes I understand that I've just read for some extra protection you could cover a sealant with a wax of your choice to add some protection

FUNX650
01-29-2016, 07:51 PM
A traditional Finishing Wax usually will not have

Yes I understand that
^^^ :xyxthumbs: ^^^

OK...then wouldn't seem more reasonable
to forgo the Wax altogether...and just add
another layer of the Sealant?

I've just read for some extra protection
you could cover a sealant with a wax
of your choice to add some protection

Bob

Jrdriver
01-29-2016, 07:53 PM
OK...then wouldn't seem more reasonable
to forgo the Wax altogether...and just add
another layer of the Sealant?

Yea I guess you have a point haha

ducksfan
01-29-2016, 08:01 PM
It's true though.....
The previous day before it snows, I've put down sealants and waxes and combos of the two on the car and the next day I drive to school and work, come home, and the next day I go go the coin op and rinse the salt off with high pressure washer with water- not soap- and see zero beading in the area affected by the salt. Which is the fenders, lower door, rear fenders and trunk.

Have you had any luck with any sealants or waxes?

If all you did was blast it with water. Don't you think there is a strong chance that a film remains on the sealant/wax that is hampering beading?