PDA

View Full Version : First time and now I'm hooked

CLL
10-02-2007, 10:00 PM
I was always into detailing my vehicles and keeping them clean but when I found this site everything I thought about detailing went out the window. A week ago I ordered the full detail kit for my PC and today when I got off work it was waiting at my front door. I also ordered the XMT intermediate swirl remover kit as well as Pinnacle wax (all the stuff in the video). As a first timer I was a little nervous to jump right into it but its only paint; right? (just kidding) I drive a Dark Shadow Grey 2003 F250 Super Crew that had a lot of bad water spots etched in the hood and roof. Other than a few parking lot scratches and etching the paint is in pretty good shape.

It was getting late and that box of goodies was calling my name so I tore it open. After watching the "How to" video online; I went out to wash the hood and front fenders. I followed the instructions and the water spots started to disappear. After 4 attempts with the orange pad and XMT #3 the spots were 99.9% gone. I only did a 2'X2' section of the hood due to time and light. As I worked my way through the steps the section of the hood got better. When I was done I was left with a great smooth shine.

I know I need better lighting and more time but you know how it is what those boxes start calling your name.

It took 4 times with the orange pad and XMT#3 before the water marks were gone. Should I step up to the yellow pad and #4 or try something else?
I also noticed a lot of dust, is that normal. I'm looking forward to completing the whole truck and learning more. Thanks for the help and your time.

-CL

The 1st two are befores and 2nd two are afters. The lighting is bad but look for the etched water spots in the light in the 1st two.

Tonya
10-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Welcome CLL,
Sorry, I can't help you with the your yellow pad question. Someone will be along soon! I got a kick out of your first post. I would just like to say welcome to the addicition my friend! You are going to fit in just fine around here! :D

CLL
10-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Oh yeah, the wife's car as a test bed post. Well, I did start with her car first just to try it out. I did a 1' X 1' square in the middle of her hood and it turned out great. She came out to see what I was doing and walked past her car and noticed it. I looked at her and she looked at me and said, "your not going to leave it like that are you?" So, I know I have a lot of work in-store for this weekend.

Rsurfer
10-02-2007, 11:03 PM
I was always into detailing my vehicles and keeping them clean but when I found this site everything I thought about detailing went out the window. A week ago I ordered the full detail kit for my PC and today when I got off work it was waiting at my front door. I also ordered the XMT intermediate swirl remover kit as well as Pinnacle wax (all the stuff in the video). As a first timer I was a little nervous to jump right into it but its only paint; right? (just kidding) I drive a Dark Shadow Grey 2003 F250 Super Crew that had a lot of bad water spots etched in the hood and roof. Other than a few parking lot scratches and etching the paint is in pretty good shape.

It was getting late and that box of goodies was calling my name so I tore it open. After watching the "How to" video online; I went out to wash the hood and front fenders. I followed the instructions and the water spots started to disappear. After 4 attempts with the orange pad and XMT #3 the spots were 99.9% gone. I only did a 2'X2' section of the hood due to time and light. As I worked my way through the steps the section of the hood got better. When I was done I was left with a great smooth shine.

I know I need better lighting and more time but you know how it is what those boxes start calling your name.

It took 4 times with the orange pad and XMT#3 before the water marks were gone. Should I step up to the yellow pad and #4 or try something else?
I also noticed a lot of dust, is that normal. I'm looking forward to completing the whole truck and learning more. Thanks for the help and your time.

-CL

The 1st two are befores and 2nd two are afters. The lighting is bad but look for the etched water spots in the light in the 1st two.Are you moving the pc slowly, like an inch a couple of seconds? I would stay away from the yellow and try xmt 4 with the orange pad first. If you can't get all of it out after two passes then I would try the yellow. Remember least aggressive polish and pads first.:welcome:

wytstang
10-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Yes start with the least aggressive polish and pad and work your way up until the results are achieved. How long were you working the polish? Are you over lapping each pass by 50%? Are you moving the PC as fast as a snail?

CLL
10-03-2007, 06:16 AM
I think I was moving it too fast. I'll try slowing it down a bit next time. If I order #4 it wont get here by the weekend, so is there a Meguiar's polish that is comparable to XMT #4. I know I can get Meguiar's locally.

ScottB
10-03-2007, 07:26 AM
just wait .... soon you will detail rental cars, and even try to sneak over to neighbors and wipe birdie poo-poo off their ride !

wytstang
10-03-2007, 12:58 PM
I think I was moving it too fast. I'll try slowing it down a bit next time. If I order #4 it wont get here by the weekend, so is there a Meguiar's polish that is comparable to XMT #4. I know I can get Meguiar's locally.
Never tried Megs polishes but were you adding pressure to help it break down the polishes? Use a floor scale and use the pc with pad and press down to about 20 lbs to get the feel for how much pressure you can use. That will will get better results and a little faster. Hope that makes sense.

CLL
10-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys. Here's a thought I had. If I applied too much pressure and the PC slowed down could that be a problem? I need to try that PC on the scale trick but mine is digital. One more thing I noticed was the liquid Souveran wax It looked great but didn't have that slick feel. Don't get me wrong it was very smooth but not slick if that make sense.

One more thing. When I do the whole truck should I rinse the truck off after each step or just wipe it down?

Rsurfer
10-04-2007, 12:14 AM
Thanks for all the tips guys. Here's a thought I had. If I applied too much pressure and the PC slowed down could that be a problem? I need to try that PC on the scale trick but mine is digital. One more thing I noticed was the liquid Souveran wax It looked great but didn't have that slick feel. Don't get me wrong it was very smooth but not slick if that make sense.

One more thing. When I do the whole truck should I rinse the truck off after each step or just wipe it down?After using liquid souveran wait a day and then qd, you will notice more slickness. Do you mean after polishing or waxing? I would polish and then wash to get all the dust off. No need to wash after waxing. You can qd if you wish.

CLL
10-04-2007, 07:52 AM
After using liquid souveran wait a day and then qd, you will notice more slickness. Do you mean after polishing or waxing? I would polish and then wash to get all the dust off. No need to wash after waxing. You can qd if you wish.

Thanks but what is qd? Should I wash it off after each step of polishing. ie after #3 then again after #1

Mannyl312
10-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the addicts group, sure you´re gonna enjoy and learn a lot from the people over here, everything that I´ve learned is from people here, About your question of QD that means quick detailer, I can tell you using xmt line, after you finish with the polish step you should wash again to get rid of the dust, and then go with the protection step, Glaze, Wax Or Sealing whatever you doing. Have Fun with your new stuff and once again welcome to the madness.