PDA

View Full Version : Another newb question... (3 products?)

RippyD
01-27-2016, 03:01 PM
After asking a few questions I realized I needed more help. Bought and read Mike's Complete Guide. I'm now better prepared to get my cars in shape and maintain them. But...

1. Too many products. It is safest and best for an amateur to just pick a brand and stick with it? I need a polisher - should I just get one of the kits with the 7424XP? (Wolfgang swirl kit? Pinnacle? Does it matter that much?)

2. I live where it's wet 8-9 months out of the year. My cars have some road grime on them every time I drive during these months. Looking for a finish that can tolerate being wet, road grime every day, and isn't too hard to apply. I can manage the 12 hour cure some of them need. Wolfgang Deep Gloss? Detailer's Poly Sealant? C1 or EXO? Recommendation?

FYI, looking at doing two cars. One is black - a lot of swirl problems I need to fix. The other is white. Paint is neglected but swirls are largely invisible. Black one has clear coat. White one appears to as well (2006).

I think 2-3 products + polisher/pads will get me where I need to be. (This is after washing, claying, and Iron-Xing.) Am I on the right track?

apthai
01-27-2016, 03:13 PM
Hi RippyD!

You'll get a lot of responses but I'd suggest going with the GG6 instead of the 7424XP. The biggest reason is the lifetime warranty on it. Also I'd switch the backing plate to a 5" one and picking up 5.5" LC Flat pads.

As for products, there are many to choose from and all are good. I personally recommend Wolfgang. If you go with Wolfgang you'll need at least Wolfgang Finishing Glaze & Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and one compound. Depending how bad the condition is on the paint you can go with Wolfgang Uber or Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover.

The Guz
01-27-2016, 03:32 PM
You are on the right track. I started off with the PC7424XP and it's a user friendly tool for anyone to start off. The Griot's Garage DA is a forum favorite and has more power than the PC. I haven't used the GG6.

I have since moved onto another polisher. My hands could only tolerate so much vibration.

In regards to manufacturer, any of the PBMG house brands will work. It's hard to beat the price for DP Poli Coat Paint Sealant at the moment. It's a very good sealant.

Here's a good article to read on wolfgang.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/74198-wolfgang-four.html

Meguiar's is another line that is good. I started off with the ultimate line and then moved onto to their pro products.

RippyD
01-27-2016, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the reply, apthi. Good tip on GG5. Swirls on the black car (1 year old) are very evident. I'm hoping to go light and see where that gets me. (I'm thinking Meguiars Ultimate or a Wolfgang Uber).

Guz, will read the Wolfgang review. Cost is less of an issue if I can get something that will protect my car for a year with 9 months of rain and grime. I'd rather pay more now and have it last.

Kamakaz1961
01-27-2016, 06:09 PM
Man you would have a tough choice on products. Anything PBMG has is a great start. Megs is always great too. Blackfire...etc. You can't go wrong.

As for a start up DA...I would lean to the GG6. I have the PC7424 XP and I have delegated it to my mini polisher. Either way you are on the right track!

RippyD
01-27-2016, 07:21 PM
Ordering a GG6 with some pads (kit). Read the Wolfgang review - very helpful. Looks I would start with WG Swirl Removed rather than Uber.

Guz, I just read up on DP Poli-Coat Sealant - I see your point. Seems like it's easier to apply. May give that a try for now and go to something with a longer cure time when I have more experience.

Could I use Meguires Ultimate compound to remove swirls and then DP Poli-Coat? Or do I need a a finishing polish in between? Would you guys put wax or something else over the Poli-Coat?

The Guz
01-27-2016, 09:01 PM
Ordering a GG6 with some pads (kit). Read the Wolfgang review - very helpful. Looks I would start with WG Swirl Removed rather than Uber.

Guz, I just read up on DP Poli-Coat Sealant - I see your point. Seems like it's easier to apply. May give that a try for now and go to something with a longer cure time when I have more experience.

Could I use Meguires Ultimate compound to remove swirls and then DP Poli-Coat? Or do I need a a finishing polish in between? Would you guys put wax or something else over the Poli-Coat?

Yeah I should have explained a little more on DP poli-coat. I have personally used poli-coat and achieved very good results with it. It's hard to beat for the price at the moment. As you said you can always move on to something else down the road.

I would pick up a polish and do a test spot with that. It will tell you what the paint needs and if the paint is on the hard or soft side. A polish may be all you need. If you need to go more aggressive you can move up to a compound. Sometimes a compound can leave what is known as DA haze. More noticeable on darker paints. This is where a polish comes into play as it is intended to refine the finish, add gloss and remove DA haze.

You could also pick up ultimate polish or pick up Meguiar's M205. M205 will have a little more cut than ultimate polish. It is more versatile than ultimate polish.

In regards to topping a sealant with a wax. It can be done. It's optional. It is recommended to wait about 12 hours prior to topping a sealant with a wax.

custmsprty
01-27-2016, 10:46 PM
The PC HD kit is a great value and would provide you everything you need to take great care of both of your cars. HD products are super user friendly and deliver excellent results.

Porter Cable 7424XP & 3D HD Flawless Finish Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/pc-3d-hd-flawless-kit.html)

dlc95
01-28-2016, 12:53 AM
Meguiar's is another line that is good. I started off with the ultimate line and then moved onto to their pro products.

I "went back" to the Ultimate line for most jobs. I'm not typically in body shop environments, thus not restricted to the M105/M205 set up.

Ultimate Polish is probably my overall favorite general polishing liquid. Paired with a blue Buff and Shine pad, I'm able to get a lot of milage out of that set up, especially on the PC 7424xp.

RippyD
01-28-2016, 04:20 PM
This is very helpful - you guys have tied up some loose ends for me. Compound vs. Polish makes sense now. Glaze is out - I don't myself using it ever. Wax vs. sealant makes sense now. All-one-ones and QD are not clear to me - don't see the need and am going to skip those for now.

Going to test with a polish and see if that removes swirls. I doubt it will, but maybe. If not, will use compound then polish.

One more Q: wheels on my 2006 LR3 are quite neglected. Once I thoroughly clean and de-iron them is opti-coat a reasonable way to go for protection and easier maintenance?