PDA

View Full Version : Does Meg's APC ruin Microfiber?

PugDog
01-26-2016, 02:48 PM
Hi, I have been looking all over the internet for info about whether or not the fabric softeners in Meguiar's D101 APC ruin microfiber, without finding anything definite

ALL the microfiber FAQs say to avoid any contact with fabric softeners because they will clog up the * shape and hinder their ability to grab particles

but nearly ALL interior detail threads and guides mention using D101 (or another APC) and a microfiber towel on interiors for various interior detailing tasks

I have lots of quality MF on the way, and a few lower quality, I suppose I will of course separate them by use, but is it really ok to use an APC containing fabric softeners on MF?

Thanks in advance :dblthumb2:

AGOatemywallet
01-26-2016, 02:50 PM
Where did you read that D101 or any other All Purpose Cleaner contains "fabric softeners"

Please provide a link

Thanks

pheerix
01-26-2016, 02:53 PM
Why would an APC need to contain fabric softeners?

PugDog
01-26-2016, 02:56 PM
*removed my link due to linking to competitor*

and every other product description of d101 i can find on other sites

"Fabric softeners and brighteners rejuvenate your interior surfaces so they look and feel like a new vehicle."

*removed my link due to linking to competitor*
from meguiars site:
Meguiar’s® All Purpose Cleaner is a versatile cleaner for both exterior and interior surfaces. Its superior foaming action gently lifts the dirt away from carpet, upholstery, vinyl and even leather.

• Ideal for reconditioning most interior surfaces
• Active foaming action lifts dirt
• Fabric softeners enhance luxurious results

PugDog
01-26-2016, 02:57 PM
Why would an APC need to contain fabric softeners?

no idea, thats why I am asking for clarification

Optntdr13
01-26-2016, 05:33 PM
The textile answer is to avoid any product with a diluted PH above 11 in order to prolong MF life span. Fabric Softener can be removed with a second rinse cycle so as such shouldn't be a prolonged concern unless excessive exposure becomes a variable.

willowcat11
01-26-2016, 06:24 PM
I have a Gallon of Megs APC, and it also says Fabric Softeners in it. But in this case, it is something different than the Fabric Softeners found in some Laundry detergents and Fabric Sheets.

The reason you do not want to use the Fabric Softener sheets or Detergent with fabric softeners in them is, because:

1. They will leave a residue on your MF's that will leave streak marks, marring and the such.

2. Fabric Softener Sheets also kill the good Static that MF's have.

I have actually been washing my MF's with a couple ounces of Megs APC in the wash machine. And they come out great, and whatever that fabric softener stuff is in Megs APC, it just washes out clean.

PugDog
01-27-2016, 04:58 AM
thanks for the info

wow ok maybe I am being hyper-vigilant, just been doing a ton of reading/ordering/preparing and wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly

FUNX650
01-27-2016, 08:29 AM
wow ok maybe I am being hyper-vigilant,

just been doing a ton of reading/ordering/preparing

and wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly
•If you were to research Meguiar's D101's (M)SDS,
you'll find that it contains Sodium Metasilicate at a
1-5% volume, by weight.

•Although Meguiar's is (in)famous for often
having "Trade Secret" designation for many
of its products' formulations/ingredients....

-Further research into the properties and uses
of Sodium Metasilicate may lead you to the
unlocking of the secrets determining if there
could be differences between an actual Fabric
Softener...and a Water Softener/(Conditioner)
that enhances cleaners' performance/efficiency.

Also:
•I wouldn't be surprised to discover that sodium
metasilicate is in many of the Cleaners/Detergents
that are used to wash MF-towels.
-Stands to reason then, IMO, that Meguiar's D101
would not pose a risk to MF-towels when utilized
in the recommended dilution ratios.

Bob