PDA

View Full Version : White truck getting detail for first time

TurntAudio
01-26-2016, 01:18 PM
I am relatively new to auto detailing, but my 2001 Ford Explorer sport trac (white) has never had a proper hand-wash, claying, or proper detail. I started researching the best products to wash/detail myself once I realized using the drive-through car wash was only damaging the paint on my truck. For me this truck is a project... it has alot of money and work put into it so I want to restore/refresh the factory paint as much as possible.

From what I understand, there is a limited amount of "reflection" that can be achieved when working with white paints...unlike black and other color paints. So since this is a 15 year old truck that I use off-road sometimes, and the results can only be "so good", I'm not sure exactly how much effort I should put into detailing it. I want to know if my plan for detailing is all this truck needs, and anything else is not really necessary... Or if I should take more steps and buy more products.

Due to limited time I have not been able to do this all in the same day...I started the other day by hand washing with a microfiber wash mit and a good Maguier's car wash soap. The next day I started claying, and I am still in that process. I still see swirls in the paint when I hold a light up to it. I will use a synthetic sealant from Maguier's after the clay bars, then I guess it's done?

Is it a big deal to space this job out over a few days? Should I hand wash again before I continue claying...or just wiping it down with detail spray good enough? I am waiting for the sealant to arrive in the mail, so should I hold off on the rest of the claying until I can apply the sealant immediately after?

Paul A.
01-26-2016, 01:40 PM
First off, welcome to AutoGeek Online!

It is perfectly acceptable to work on your truck over time. I have done it in the past when time was tight and the important thing to do is to make sure it's clean when you tackle the next section. That isn't as critically important for claying as it is prior to applying your sealant however as a minimum, i would wash the next section before continuing your claying. I wouldn't want to be claying dirt along with what it is meant to remove...imbedded contaminants. Claying will not remove swirls and, in fact, can introduce more marring. You will also need to give it a good wash before applying your sealant. Again, if you know you only have time to seal the hood, roof and trunk lid today you only have to wash those sections. One of my favorite products is Optimum No Rinse (ONR). It is ideal for cleaning smaller sections before continuing any paint work. It is a simple process of gently wiping on to clean the section and towel dry off. It is brilliantly fast too.

Unless it really bugs you i wouldn't mess too much with getting the paint perfect based on your use profile. Sounds like you use your truck as it was intended and thats a good thing but it might get trashed pretty fast if you go off road right after spending a day machine buffing. A good clay and seal should make it look much better and then frequent washings will help to keep it looking good.

If you decide you do want to remove the swirls and correct the paint, that can also be done in "pieces" i.e a day here, a half a night there etc.

kevvyj
01-26-2016, 04:15 PM
After wash n clay you might want do a light polish.Poor Boys SSR 1is very easy to use and effective for swirls.It does make a difference.

Paul A.
01-26-2016, 04:41 PM
Do you have a machine TurntAudio? As in buffing machine?

TTQ B4U
01-26-2016, 05:10 PM
I typically do our minivan in sections like what you're looking to do. Works great. Fun watching it come along each day too. IMO way better than having to "tackle" her all at once.

Good luck. Pics when you can!

Paul A.
01-26-2016, 05:21 PM
Yup! Right there with ya pdqgp. It seems every time i want to do wifey's car she comes out needing to go run somewhere. That's ok, hon, i don't mind cleaning up my pads, packing all this **** up and trying again tomorrow!

GSKR
01-26-2016, 06:35 PM
I am relatively new to auto detailing, but my 2001 Ford Explorer sport trac (white) has never had a proper hand-wash, claying, or proper detail. I started researching the best products to wash/detail myself once I realized using the drive-through car wash was only damaging the paint on my truck. For me this truck is a project... it has alot of money and work put into it so I want to restore/refresh the factory paint as much as possible.

From what I understand, there is a limited amount of "reflection" that can be achieved when working with white paints...unlike black and other color paints. So since this is a 15 year old truck that I use off-road sometimes, and the results can only be "so good", I'm not sure exactly how much effort I should put into detailing it. I want to know if my plan for detailing is all this truck needs, and anything else is not really necessary... Or if I should take more steps and buy more products.

Due to limited time I have not been able to do this all in the same day...I started the other day by hand washing with a microfiber wash mit and a good Maguier's car wash soap. The next day I started claying, and I am still in that process. I still see swirls in the paint when I hold a light up to it. I will use a synthetic sealant from Maguier's after the clay bars, then I guess it's done?

Is it a big deal to space this job out over a few days? Should I hand wash again before I continue claying...or just wiping it down with detail spray good enough? I am waiting for the sealant to arrive in the mail, so should I hold off on the rest of the claying until I can apply the sealant immediately after?you can really make white paint just as nice as black or red,the only thing you won't achieve is depth but you can make it shine and glossy.wipe each panel down before claying no need to wash.what kind of sealer did you buy.after claying wash the whole truck again.