PDA

View Full Version : ONR & Road Salt

Pages : [1] 2

Nth Degree
01-25-2016, 04:35 PM
With all the snow recently it is inevitable there will be many questions about whether it is safe to do a rinseless (ONR) wash when a car is covered in salt.

The salt was not dry granules when it became attached to the surface of the vehicle. It was dissolved in water. By simply wetting the car and keeping it wet long enough for the salt to re-dissolve the solution becomes completely aqueous again, becoming no more likely to scratch than plain water. Once the polymers in a rinseless wash are added it becomes safer than plain water. A wash using a standard foaming shampoo adds no additional safety other than sheer volume. There may be other reasons to warrant a preliminary rinse such as when sand is used to treat the roads. Simply use common sense and a little extra caution and maybe warm water in your wash bucket and you are good to go.

OTSDetail
01-25-2016, 04:42 PM
I take it you just saw this on FB like I did.... lol

Nth Degree
01-25-2016, 04:43 PM
No. Actually, I wrote it.

GSKR
01-25-2016, 04:53 PM
Try it and see,then let us know the end results.

Nth Degree
01-25-2016, 05:02 PM
I already know the results. I have done it many times. The question comes up often and, with the recent weather, this is the perfect time to help educate people on the benefits and capabilities of rinseless washes. When used properly ONR and other rinseless washes are as safe or safer than traditional foaming car shampoos.

TTQ B4U
01-25-2016, 05:10 PM
I already know the results. I have done it many times. The question comes up often and, with the recent weather, this is the perfect time to help educate people on the benefits and capabilities of rinseless washes. When used properly ONR and other rinseless washes are as safe or safer than traditional foaming car shampoos.

^^ This. i just ONR'd my S4 last night and finished up the rear bumper correction. The rest of the car was already 100% perfect and even after a salt blasting from our roads here in Central Ohio a simple bath in my garage with proper technique and she is still perfect.

Try it and see,then let us know the end results.

The process and outcome from a No Rinse isn't much different from a bucket wash and I agree with Nth Degree that it's actually much safer. In a traditional wash the soap and sponge you're using isn't any better than a safe NR Wash. If anything it's misleading to feel it is. FWIW, Central Ohio uses a ton of sand too.

You can actually test the theory simply by correcting two doors of your car, wash one as you normally would with a bucket and sponge and the other with the proper technique no-rinse. Use opposite direction wipes and see for yourself which one comes out in need of correction.

GSKR
01-25-2016, 05:36 PM
^^ This. i just ONR'd my S4 last night and finished up the rear bumper correction. The rest of the car was already 100% perfect and even after a salt blasting from our roads here in Central Ohio a simple bath in my garage with proper technique and she is still perfect.

The process and outcome from a No Rinse isn't much different from a bucket wash and I agree with Nth Degree that it's actually much safer. In a traditional wash the soap and sponge you're using isn't any better than a safe NR Wash. If anything it's misleading to feel it is. FWIW, Central Ohio uses a ton of sand too.

You can actually test the theory simply by correcting two doors of your car, wash one as you normally would with a bucket and sponge and the other with the proper technique no-rinse. Use opposite direction wipes and see for yourself which one comes out in need of correction. The promblem I would have is a timing issue,I would rather wash it the traditional way and be done with it and take care of the paint in spring time.after all the careful hrs of wiping each panel with a lot of finesse,you will still enhance or do some polishing work in the spring.so what I'm saying is make your life easier with the washing and just detail it later on.If you like doing that then do it this is just a personal preference.

Chris Thomas
01-25-2016, 05:42 PM
No Rinse® Wash & Shine directly replaces soap in a bucket. So if you wouldn't touch a wash mitt was so to the surface without prerinse, then do the same with no directly replaces soap in a bucket. So if you wouldn't touch a mitt and soap the surface without prerinse, then do the same with onr. No rinse in the name refers to no rinsing needed as you wash...

Nth Degree
01-25-2016, 05:43 PM
The promblem I would have is a timing issue,I would rather wash it the traditional way and be done with it and take care of the paint in spring time.after all the careful hrs of wiping each panel with a lot of finesse,you will still enhance or do some polishing work in the spring.so what I'm saying is make your life easier with the washing and just detail it later on.If you like doing that then do it this is just a personal preference.

For those in places where the temps remain below freezing or those who live in apartments without access to water and facilities a standard wash isn't always an option.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their methods but to reassure those who question the safety that it can be done safely and provides a better option than taking it to a Tunnel-O-Horrors.

MikeC78
01-25-2016, 05:55 PM
I've just experienced WU rinseless for the first time. I can't believe I've been not using this product or any rinseless in the past. It's a life savor, especially in the winter. This is a product that wowed me.

TTQ B4U
01-25-2016, 05:57 PM
The promblem I would have is a timing issue,I would rather wash it the traditional way and be done with it and take care of the paint in spring time.after all the careful hrs of wiping each panel with a lot of finesse,you will still enhance or do some polishing work in the spring.so what I'm saying is make your life easier with the washing and just detail it later on.If you like doing that then do it this is just a personal preference.

I follow what you're saying. i actually do mostly hose/bucket washes in the summer as I like flusing out the doors, and other panels as I go where you don't get that with a NR Method. The only point I'll challenge you on is around the finesse and details with a NR Method. It's actually quite fast and clean. When I did mine the other day, I didn't even change out of my work shoes or pants. 50 minutes from beginning to end.

Now when I say proper technique / finesse, it's really a matter of just using high quality MF Towels, not the cheap stick to dry-skin ones from AutoZone or like. The really plush 420 grain soft ones that are ultra soft and soak up tons of water are what I'm meaning. Just fold them into fours then once more. You'll get 16 complete passes from one rag.

In the end, I'll hit my car in the spring with some ultimate polish and a white pad or two and be back to 100%. Old school wise, it may take a little longer and perhaps two passes but again, I see your point.

For those in places where the temps remain below freezing or those who live in apartments without access to water and facilities a standard wash isn't always an option.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their methods but to reassure those who question the safety that it can be done safely and provides a better option than taking it to a Tunnel-O-Horrors.

^^ this. With several black cars in our household, we don't use brush-based car washes. Sometimes the touchless ones but never one with brushes.

GSKR
01-25-2016, 06:01 PM
I understand completely, I personally don't believe in that method on a salted caked on black car.I prefer to wash wheels Windows undercarriage and jambs by doing a traditional coin wash in one hr,but that's me and some will agree or disagree but the info you provided will be helpful for those who agree.

TTQ B4U
01-25-2016, 06:08 PM
I understand completely, I personally don't believe in that method on a salted caked on black car.I prefer to wash wheels Windows undercarriage and jambs by doing a traditional coin wash in one hr,but that's me and some will agree or disagree but the info you provided will be helpful for those who agree.

I'll take our black cars to a DIY spray and go to town on it, especially underneath. The upside to my Audi if you've ever looked under one is that the entire bottom is coated with a special sound deadening layer that makes it nearly flat in most places. Not much salt hides up in there as it realy can't get anywhere except in the wheel wells. :xyxthumbs:

This is an A4 but the S4 is same/simliar

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/albums/Audi/A4-S4-RS4%20(B5,%20B6,%20B7%20and%20B8)/A4%20Sedan%20(B8)/Technical/049.jpg

LSNAutoDetailing
01-25-2016, 07:57 PM

I agree with GSKR. I did a rinsless on my POV and was lightly salted. (LOL).
I did 2BM w/ Rinseless mitts and grit guards. The bucket was black half way through.
I had to change out water, resupply with 3 oz of Megs D114. All the while my hands were frozen.

Coin op pressure washes are ok... Except when it's 18 - 22 outside. In my parts, most places have switched over to the laser touchless. Garage door opens, drive in... and those little robots go to work, top, bottom, undercarriage and wheels. They do a pretty darn good job for $10.00 and never touch the car. Then the drier starts... Does it get 100%? NO! But gets enough off to then go back and do a proper rinsless.

Myself, I'd rather have most of the crud (sand & salt) blasted off first. I just opt for the basic wash, no wax treatment.

p.s. - The salt isn't just a mixture of water and salt. Up here in NH they actually do a chemical liquid treatment on the roads... Who knows what's in it???

mcate
01-25-2016, 08:19 PM
I do our cars in my garage with ONR when it's below freezing outside. I use light pressure & rinse bucket, & I've never had any issues. They always get a proper detail in the Spring anyhow.