PDA

View Full Version : spring cleaning

Stegs
01-25-2016, 12:55 PM
lol i may be jumping the gun a little bit, but i have a question about my black truck when i get it out of storage this spring

its black, repainted 5 or so years ago. Very soft paint

I use the foam gun, 2 bucket method. Soaps are CG body wash and wax, and glossworks

The truck is stored all winter, only driven on nice sunny days.

I feel like after a few years of waxing it every spring, i think i should strip off all the old stuff and start over

Any reasons to do this? I was told the wax after wax will hinder clarity in the paint.

I wax it in the spring....usually do a coat of collinite 845 and then finish with CG petes 53

That last me an entire year (until the spring the following year)

Should i strip off all of it and start over this spring, or is there no concern for this (the paint is very clear now...cleans and shines really nice

If i should strip it, how would you suggest i do it?

GSKR
01-25-2016, 05:04 PM
lol i may be jumping the gun a little bit, but i have a question about my black truck when i get it out of storage this spring

its black, repainted 5 or so years ago. Very soft paint

I use the foam gun, 2 bucket method. Soaps are CG body wash and wax, and glossworks

The truck is stored all winter, only driven on nice sunny days.

I feel like after a few years of waxing it every spring, i think i should strip off all the old stuff and start over

Any reasons to do this? I was told the wax after wax will hinder clarity in the paint.

I wax it in the spring....usually do a coat of collinite 845 and then finish with CG petes 53

That last me an entire year (until the spring the following year)

Should i strip off all of it and start over this spring, or is there no concern for this (the paint is very clear now...cleans and shines really nice

If i should strip it, how would you suggest i do it?
Maybe clay if needed otherwise just reapply no strip involved pointless.I personally would just use collinite alone without 53 but if it works for you go at it.

Stegs
01-25-2016, 07:04 PM
Maybe clay if needed otherwise just reapply no strip involved pointless.I personally would just use collinite alone without 53 but if it works for you go at it.

ok thanks for the reply
I like the petes for shine and reflection
I like the collinite for the beading

I will wash, clay then do a light coat of each this spring

GSKR
01-25-2016, 07:17 PM
ok thanks for the reply

Try the 915 collinite

FUNX650
01-25-2016, 07:26 PM
The truck is stored all winter...
I wax it in the spring....
usually do a coat of collinite 845
and then finish with CG petes 53

That last me an entire year

Really curious how the Collinite exhibits its
beading characteristic while being underneath
the film-layer of Pete's 53.

You might want to use a swirl-finder light to
check out the paint's condition after claying.

Besides doing that:
Sounds like a good plan.

Bob

Stegs
01-26-2016, 07:32 AM
Really curious how the Collinite exhibits its
beading characteristic while being underneath
the film-layer of Pete's 53.

You might want to use a swirl-finder light to
check out the paint's condition after claying.

Besides doing that:
Sounds like a good plan.

Bob

I have a light i use, but i found with my soft paint that collinite 845 really helps in the washing/drying process to protect the paint

When drying i use CG V07 as a lubricant....that seems to help out a TON!

When i clay bar, i have to find the softest clay bar possible....

If i do clay bar, i will hit it with poorboys black hole (applied by hand) first

Then collinite 845

then finish with petes 53!

Maybe some V07!

Setec Astronomy
01-26-2016, 07:44 AM
I was told the wax after wax will hinder clarity in the paint.

I love how wax "facts" get conflated into nonsense. There is no measureable buildup of the wax(es) you are using, and no proof that if you put on layer after layer that you even get any thicker resultant layer. "Wax build-up" is more applicable to floor wax (really floor "finish", which isn't anything like a wax at all, much less one used on a vehicle).

If this is your garage queen, I don't even know if you need to clay it, since you say the finish looks good and clay may give you some marring given you have told us that the paint is really soft. If what you are doing works, stick with it.

FUNX650
01-26-2016, 08:03 AM

...i found with my soft paint that collinite
845 really helps in the washing/drying
process to protect the paint

When drying i use CG V07 as a lubricant....
that seems to help out a TON!

When i clay bar, i have to find the softest
clay bar possible....
If i do clay bar, i will hit it with poorboys
black hole (applied by hand) first

Then collinite 845

then finish with petes 53!

Maybe some V07!
So...from the looks of things:

It's really difficult to know, conclusively,
if it's the Collinite-beading that will ever
come to the surface, or not.

Bob

Stegs
01-26-2016, 08:59 AM
well i was told "layer upon layer" of wax year after year will make the paint not as clear as far as reflection

Thats what i was getting at...if i should strip everything off and start over again this spring?

The truck is babied, never driven in rain/snow/salt ever.

The paint is clear and very shiney now...so you guys think dont mess with a clay bar

I know there is no "contaminates" in the paint that would be removed by a clay bar

Id rather not clay bar knowing the paint is soft....and if you dont think there is a buildup of wax....then i will stick with my normal 1 time a year (2 coats of wax in the spring)

Setec Astronomy
01-26-2016, 09:40 AM
....and if you dont think there is a buildup of wax....

I am absolutely sure you don't have any "wax buildup" on your car unless you have residue in the emblems.

Stegs
01-26-2016, 10:00 AM
I am absolutely sure you don't have any "wax buildup" on your car unless you have residue in the emblems.

nope, none at all

:dblthumb2:

This spring i will give it a good foam bath, look at the paint. Clay bar only if the paint feels rough

If i clay bar, i will do 1 coat of poorboys black hole, 1 coat collinite and 1 petes 53

If i dont clay bar, just petes 53.....

thanks guys!