PDA

View Full Version : Mother's Leather Products...One vs the Other??

Pages : [1] 2

galaxy
01-24-2016, 02:46 PM
Anyone compared Mother's Leather Wash foaming cleaner vs the Leather Cleaner? And likewise the newer Leather Creme vs the Leather Conditioner? I've used the latter of the products (that have been out for a while) with great results, but haven't tried the newer stuff yet? Do they have a different goal or target audience? Or is just another product line to make choosing more difficult? Thanks guys.

TTQ B4U
01-24-2016, 04:32 PM
Can't comment on Mother's but I will stand strong in my opinion that Optimum Protectant Plus is by far one of the best conditioners out there. Leaves the leather supple but not at all shiny or slippery or oily in any way. Very nice natural and factory matt-finish to the leather.

I was very concerned as my car has really nice nappa leather and I did not want any cheap looking sheen or like to it.

Ebg18t
01-24-2016, 08:43 PM
What kind of leather?

forrest@mothers
01-24-2016, 09:01 PM
I answered your question over on our forum.

The foaming cleaner is a great product that cleans very well and is convenient for perforated leather.

The Leather Cream isn't oily, slick or shiny, and is perfect for those who don't want shiny.

The Guz
01-24-2016, 09:04 PM
The leather wash and leather cream are great products. Give them a shot.

Eldorado2k
01-24-2016, 09:04 PM
I was very concerned as my car has really nice nappa leather and I did not want any cheap looking sheen or like to it.

Is it coated leather? How's the texture on it? Smooth or coarse?
What kind of scent does that product have? And what's your preferred method of applying it?

jimd@mothers
01-24-2016, 09:08 PM
Anyone compared Mother's Leather Wash foaming cleaner vs the Leather Cleaner? And likewise the newer Leather Creme vs the Leather Conditioner? I've used the latter of the products (that have been out for a while) with great results, but haven't tried the newer stuff yet? Do they have a different goal or target audience? Or is just another product line to make choosing more difficult? Thanks guys.

We came out with Leather Wash and Leather Cream a few years ago to provide a new and innovative way to formulate and apply leather care products. We developed a great foaming cleaner that eliminates overspray and a protective conditioner that eliminates spill -- while offering a unique experience in terms of providing a non-slippery natural finish with virtually no added sheen. It is recommended by a major aftermarket and OEM supplier.

Leather Cleaner and Leather Conditioner have been around for decades. We recently updated the packaging to make them easier to use. The cleaner spray cleans deep and the rich conditioner lotion provides a lustrous sheen that gives an obvious appearance that you've done something good for your leather. Both of these legacy products have been used and recommended by top leather makers in the automotive industry and OEMs.

While you can mix or match, I usually recommend your choice be based on whether you want a natural look or a wet look. For the crowd (generally the older generation) who is conscious of a desire to "slide-into" their seat, I generally recommend the latter.

If looking for a one-step product in the Mothers line, our popular VLR will give a low-gloss natural look, while our new Leather Care provides a long-lasting lustrous sheen.

TTQ B4U
01-24-2016, 09:58 PM
Is it coated leather? How's the texture on it? Smooth or coarse?

It's real Napa leather and not coated leather. It's very smooth, very tight and very soft. The appearance is so pure and natural thus why I stress this product has no fake oily or shiny appearance characteristics that would IMO ruin the quality of what I paid for in the car.

More than you asked but also very cool and interesting.
https://www.audiusa.com/technology/design/interior-design.html

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah133/PDQS4/2013%20Audi%20S4%20Interior%20Photo%209%20-%20Mozilla%20Firefox_2016-01-24_21-46-21_zpstmvswve4.jpg (http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/PDQS4/media/2013%20Audi%20S4%20Interior%20Photo%209%20-%20Mozilla%20Firefox_2016-01-24_21-46-21_zpstmvswve4.jpg.html)

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah133/PDQS4/160865761.3klOa0Uo.ilu8ivl5_zpssipsmrfo.jpg (http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/PDQS4/media/160865761.3klOa0Uo.ilu8ivl5_zpssipsmrfo.jpg.html)

What kind of scent does that product have? And what's your preferred method of applying it?

The scent is very slight and neutral. It fades and does not linger. I apply it with a folded section of microfiber cloth and after I'm done with one full seat and it's nearly fully soaked in, I will begin to just wipe any remaining product dry and help insure it blends without leaving any noticeably applications marks. Rare but if you heavily soak or spray it directly on the seats you will just need to wipe that area dry.

I hope this helps.

In terms of scent, the VERY best I've ever had is Griot's Garage Leather Care Spray. Bummer is I can't seem to find it online any more. However, I'm off to a local place that I know sells it. It's 100% New Car Leather scented. I loved using it in between using the Optimum product. I'll post back if I find it.

Eldorado2k
01-24-2016, 10:20 PM
@pdqgp. Is that your car, or a file photo?

TTQ B4U
01-24-2016, 10:21 PM
@pdqgp. Is that your car, or a file photo?

File pics for the sakes of replying in a timely fashion. Same interior only I have a few bits of Carbon Fiber as a factory option too. (around the center shifter area and passenger dash and door panels)

Eldorado2k
01-24-2016, 10:24 PM
I read the description of the Optimum Protectant earlier... Seems like it's good stuff. I hadn't heard of it until now.

TTQ B4U
01-24-2016, 10:27 PM
I read the description of the Optimum Protectant earlier... Seems like it's good stuff. I hadn't heard of it until now.

I had a friend turn me on to it as I had been holding off on treating my leather. If you notice the sheen and texture in the pics I posted......this product won't change it one bit. After about 5 mins it soaks in fully and disappears. Agian, just a dry wipe to insure any remaining bits are gone and viola.

The really nice thing is how supple it makes the leather. I actually treated it about 2hrs ago as the wife and kids were getting ready for bed :)

Eldorado2k
01-24-2016, 10:42 PM
@pdqgp. In a perfect world, do you think there's a best time to treat it? Like the way you did letting it soak in overnight and not messing with it until next morning? Or maybe in the dead heat with the windows rolled up so the leathers warm? Just wondering..

Also, I personally use Megs D180 as far as "conditioning" goes for the interior in my Cadillac and I'm happy with it for the most part.. I've been debating whether to start using it on the vinyl interior of the 1yr. old Kia we have.. So far I've been using Megs Protectant on it. My only concern is no where on the label of D180 Leather Cleaner & Conditioner does it state that it provides UV protection.. You'd figure they'd state that on the label if it did right? But it doesn't.. So I'm hesitant on committing to it for the long run.

TTQ B4U
01-24-2016, 10:48 PM
@pdqgp. In a perfect world, do you think there's a best time to treat it? Like the way you did letting it soak in overnight and not messing with it until next morning? Or maybe in the dead heat with the windows rolled up so the leathers warm? Just wondering..

I didn't let it soak overnight. No need. Really, just wipe it on and watch in 5 mins it will soak in and you'd never know it was there. I would treat it in temps above freezing. I'm in Ohio, just kicked the heat on in the garage for a few minutes and went at it. Took me 10 minutes tonight.

Also, I personally use Megs D180 as far as "conditioning" goes for the interior in my Cadillac and I'm happy with it for the most part.. I've been debating whether to start using it on the vinyl interior of the 1yr. old Kia we have.. So far I've been using Megs Protectant on it. My only concern is no where on the label of D180 Leather Cleaner & Conditioner does it state that it provides UV protection.. You'd figure they'd state that on the label if it did right? But it doesn't.. So I'm hesitant on committing to it for the long run.

I can't comment on D180 as I've not used it. Sorry. What type and year is your Caddy?

Eldorado2k
01-24-2016, 11:22 PM
It's a 97' Seville SLS. Nothing perfect by any means, but I like to keep it clean. I bought it a couple years ago. Cleaned up rather well considering the condition it was in when I 1st saw it. It has the smooth textured leather they used to use, as opposed to the coarse texture they seem to use in the newer Caddys I've seen. I'm not a fan of the coarse leather.