PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting Duragloss...need some input

BTLew81
01-24-2016, 12:38 AM
Picked up a 2016 Passat last week, in silver. Finally had some time this week to clean it up. I did a light polish with 205, and then it was time to seal it....

I've been using Meg's ultimate for a couple of years and have been quite happy. However, I saw some dg 105 and 601 in the cabinet and figured I'd give it another try. What a great choice. Made my mix and went to work. Easy on and easy off. Slickness and gloss really amped up as it cured.

So, I may stick with dg for a bit. I've got some 105 and 601, but am also thinking of some AW and their rinseless. My question is, should I get their QD, or mix some up using the rinseless, as I see suggested a lot here? I'm thinking I'd like a drying aid, as I know i don't have to use AW with every wash.

ANY DG insight is appreciated. Thanks.

BTLew81
01-24-2016, 01:00 AM
One additional question....

In the spring I will probably use 501 to clean up the paint again and then top with 105. Should I use the 601 in both the 501 and 105?

dad07
01-24-2016, 08:45 AM

In the spring I will probably use 501 to clean up the paint again and then top with 105. Should I use the 601 in both the 501 and 105?

Yes use 601 with both......makes it easier to work forward with no waiting for cure times.

DG's rinseless is a great product as is their qd(fast clean and shine) AW is a must have and you could try their new waterless.

DG111 is another great product you can use on top of 501/105......maintain with any of the above mentioned products and you'll get months of protection.

BillyJack
01-24-2016, 08:56 AM

601 is promoted as having two distinct qualities:1) promoting instant curing for topcoating and 2) Extending durability. I never apply DG501 without mixing in some DG601, as I always top 501 with something else, DG or otherwise. For my winter preps, 105 or 111 gets the mix also. In nicer weather, when I'll be waxing more often and longevity is not a concern, I'll use 105 or 111 straight out of the bottle, unless I'm topping with something else.
With regard to your using DGAW as a drying aid, it has been mentioned here before that DGAW may become less transparent with additional layers if used too often. It was recommended by the brothers at DG to dilute it with DGFCS (1 part AW to 3 parts FCS, IIRC) if you were using it with every wash. The longevity of DGAW is obviously compromised by diluting, but the clarity of the shine is enhanced.
DG has been an essential ingredient in my winter preps for about 5 years now. I've topped it with Collinite 845 or 476, or FK1000p. The combo has definitely held up through PA winters better than Colli or FK alone.

Bill

BTLew81
01-24-2016, 10:44 AM
Awesome stuff. Thanks. I've also read the piece on diluting AW. If I were to dilute their rinseless as a drying aid, would this be an alternative, or would I still risk the loss of clarity since it contains AW?

Thanks again. Keep the info coming!

Jowillie
01-24-2016, 10:51 AM
I wonder if the new Waterless Wash & Wax is an already combined product.

I followed the advice of Jerry B. at Duragloss once to use the 601 (bonding agent) and 105 TPP.
Then, after a 24-48 hour cure, use the 921 Fast Detail over all. Long lasting incredible shine.

On my new black SUV, I use the 601/105 mixed 1:4 applied in a thin coat. Cured for a day and then used the Aquawax overall. So far--incredible. Snow and ice failing off and the paint still shines.
Now your comments above have me concerned about the next wash. Should I hold off on using the Aquawax?

BillyJack
01-24-2016, 11:32 AM
I wonder if the new Waterless Wash & Wax is an already combined product.

I followed the advice of Jerry B. at Duragloss once to use the 601 (bonding agent) and 105 TPP.
Then, after a 24-48 hour cure, use the 921 Fast Detail over all. Long lasting incredible shine.

On my new black SUV, I use the 601/105 mixed 1:4 applied in a thin coat. Cured for a day and then used the Aquawax overall. So far--incredible. Snow and ice failing off and the paint still shines.
Now your comments above have me concerned about the next wash. Should I hold off on using the Aquawax?

From what I remember, the issue of AW buildup only occurs with multiple apps, such as washing twice a week and using AW every time over a couple months.

Bill

BillyJack
01-24-2016, 11:37 AM
Awesome stuff. Thanks. I've also read the piece on diluting AW. If I were to dilute their rinseless as a drying aid, would this be an alternative, or would I still risk the loss of clarity since it contains AW?

Thanks again. Keep the info coming!

I haven't tried the waterless yet, or the rinseless as a drying aid, but there's so little AW in the rinseless that it's probably not an issue.
During cold weather seasons, I usually wash every Saturday morning before work at the dealership. I think I'm gonna mix up some DG931/932 to try out this coming weekend as a drying aid. The lighting in the area where I wash is very critical of paint defects and such, so I'll see how it works on my Black DD.

Bill

silverfox
01-24-2016, 11:39 AM
Once every month is the most I'd apply AW. I think what lots of users use AW for is a drying aid after each wash. That's a mistake imo.

AZpolisher15
01-30-2016, 11:31 PM
601 is promoted as having two distinct qualities:1) promoting instant curing for topcoating and 2) Extending durability. I never apply DG501 without mixing in some DG601, as I always top 501 with something else, DG or otherwise. For my winter preps, 105 or 111 gets the mix also. In nicer weather, when I'll be waxing more often and longevity is not a concern, I'll use 105 or 111 straight out of the bottle, unless I'm topping with something else.
With regard to your using DGAW as a drying aid, it has been mentioned here before that DGAW may become less transparent with additional layers if used too often. It was recommended by the brothers at DG to dilute it with DGFCS (1 part AW to 3 parts FCS, IIRC) if you were using it with every wash. The longevity of DGAW is obviously compromised by diluting, but the clarity of the shine is enhanced.
DG has been an essential ingredient in my winter preps for about 5 years now. I've topped it with Collinite 845 or 476, or FK1000p. The combo has definitely held up through PA winters better than Colli or FK alone.

Bill
What is FCS? Thanks

Jowillie
01-30-2016, 11:51 PM
Fast Clean & Shine #921 detailer spray.

dlc95
01-31-2016, 12:00 AM
DG111 is another great product you can use on top of 501/105

I agree. 111 is my go to after polishing for a base coat.

I've also had great luck with 101 as well.

BillyJack
01-31-2016, 08:56 AM
What is FCS? Thanks

Duragloss Fast Clean & Shine Detail Spray #921 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-fast-clean-shine-detail-spray.html)

Bill