PDA

View Full Version : MF towels for coating use

choijw2
01-23-2016, 08:52 AM
I just read this UK detailer saying, when he applies paint coating (gTechniq Crystal Serum), he only uses brand new microfiber towels, washed and tumble dried, for buffing.

but he also throws those towels away after once buff....

so once you buff off paint coating with mf towel... they are not good for any more use?

Matt@Revive
01-23-2016, 09:08 AM
correct, buffing towels are one time use.

Why? the excess coating you removed with the towel will dry into small glass shards, turning your nice microfiber into a marr factory.

some companies say to toss your towels into a bucket of APC after use to prevent the coating from drying on the towel so you can clean it and reuse it...... but most of us would rather not risk marring the surface after polishing and coating.

Ebg18t
01-23-2016, 11:07 AM
I have been using the CarPro suede towels and putting into a APC bath as I use them. After the first use I save them for wheels. At least this way I get a couple uses from them. Many of these coating harden wick in the towels and can cause marring later if reused (and not perfectly clean).

CarolinasFinestDetailing
01-23-2016, 11:11 AM
correct, buffing towels are one time use.

Why? the excess coating you removed with the towel will dry into small glass shards, turning your nice microfiber into a marr factory.

some companies say to toss your towels into a bucket of APC after use to prevent the coating from drying on the towel so you can clean it and reuse it...... but most of us would rather not risk marring the surface after polishing and coating.

As long as you put them in APC after and then wash, you do not risk marring. Ive reused towels applying multiple coatings including Pro coatings with no problem.

My choice of towels for coatings are Meguiar`s Ultimate Wipe for initial leveling then CarPro boas for final wipe. Ive used other edgeless towels for final wipe, but i buy Boas because I get a great deal on them.

Red Hawk
01-23-2016, 12:55 PM
I don't understand the reasoning for using something where the end result has the potential to mar the finish. I have more quality mf towels than I can shake a stick at, & some are still new. A few have been around the block & are still in use. They are washed, dried & placed back in their dedicated, sealed containers, ready for the next use. Use a towel one time & then throw it away? I don't think so, not here.

DaveT435
01-23-2016, 01:10 PM
I just read this UK detailer saying, when he applies paint coating (gTechniq Crystal Serum), he only uses brand new microfiber towels, washed and tumble dried, for buffing.

but he also throws those towels away after once buff....

so once you buff off paint coating with mf towel... they are not good for any more use?

A lot of coatings you can put the towels in APC and reuse. I don't think I would try it with Crystal Serum....

vantagesc
01-23-2016, 01:13 PM
The quartz coatings have this towel issue.

Optimum Gloss Coat does not. May be others that do not have the issue either. Wolfgang uber?

fly07sti
01-23-2016, 02:25 PM
I use 2 towels when I remove CQ or CQUK. For the first wipe I uses new CarPro suede followed up by a CarPro Boa. As I'm going around the vehicle these towels go into a bucket of hot water (about 3 gallons) with approx 10-12 ounces of Zep citrus. Once I'm done coating and have my IR light curing the coating, these towels go into the wash with Micro Restore and a double rinse with white vinegar.
I've had no ill effects on my towels. The used suedes do get demoted to glass towels though.