PDA

View Full Version : Stacking Sealants and coatings

Pages : [1] 2 3

QuickCln
01-22-2016, 04:56 PM
Im familiar with Opticoat and had it on several cars. Problem is, that on black\dark colored cars it doesnt fill in the scratches at all like a sealant\glaze\wax could.

So even with my best effort at polishing, it never looks as good as wax.

I know that youre supposed to do ipa prior to applying the coating, but what if you used some kind of long lasting sealant\silicone filler, then washed the car gentley then apply a ceramic coat?

Surely it would last a good while, maybe not as long, but it should give you damn good protection while also looking 10x better than what you could acheive with simple paint correction.

I am going to try this out this weekend:

1. Compound paint
2. Light polish to remove as many holograms\minor trail marks
3. Fill in with a silicone based sealant (thinking nu finish or maybe meguiars)
4.Wash car gentley with DI water (air dry to minimize scratches)
5. Coat vehicle with a ceramic\glass coat

Im sure its going to give my black car stupid gloss\depth, hopefully it will last more than a yr+

I usually wash my car with a pressure washer + foam canon + DI water every other week and I do a two bucket wash ontop of my normal pressure rinse once a month or so.

Hopefully it will work what do you think?Feed back please

medicscott
01-22-2016, 05:09 PM
So your paint must be as PERFECT as possible prior to coating application. A coatings looks are only as good as the prep put in. Have the paint corrected and free from swirls and scratches first before coating application. It seems you could use a hand doing this through a professional. I'm sure if you provide your location someone would be more than happy to assist you.

vobro
01-22-2016, 05:10 PM
Why not apply coating then apply sealant?

QuickCln
01-22-2016, 05:19 PM
I think its sealant then coating that makes the most sense, since you need the sealant\wax to have bare contact on the paint to hide all of those nagging defects, Then you add a coating on top to encapsulate the sealant.

The glass coating should be the one exposed to the elements due its hydrophobicness and durability. Though it's ability to bond with a sealant is my only question.

Billy Baldone
01-22-2016, 05:23 PM
Coating first. That is more important to have bond to the paint than your wax or sealant is.

QuickCln
01-22-2016, 05:27 PM
But then the sealant\wax wont hide the defects right? Which is what I am looking for.

I saw this glass coating its japanese, used by esoteric detail. I wont mention the name since we aren't allowed to mention things not sold by auto geek.

Anyways, they sell an artificial clear coat which on paper sounds alot like a sealant. How it bonds with the clear coat and hides defects for upto a yr. Ontop of this artificial clear coat is there glass coating.

It makes the car look immaculate, especially if paint was corected prior.

Billy Baldone
01-22-2016, 05:28 PM
You can mention the name, no links though

Billy Baldone
01-22-2016, 05:29 PM
What exactly is your goal?

vobro
01-22-2016, 05:30 PM
Well your logic goes against the grain of all the coating directions , the coating needs to be applied to a clean/ bare surface. Good luck

QuickCln
01-22-2016, 05:30 PM
kamikaze artificial clear coat.

This is pretty much what inspired this thought. On autopia or detailworld (i forget which), someone used wolf gangs nano sealant with cquartz and got a similar result with lasting performance.

Im not looking for 3 yr protection, but if I can get 1.5 yrs with High gloss paint sealant protected by a glass coating, that would be great

AZpolisher15
01-22-2016, 05:31 PM
I would think there would be a big difference between a coating over a "wax" and a coating over a "sealant". If I were going the route you're headed, I'd be putting that coating over a sealant and not a wax.

AZpolisher15
01-22-2016, 05:33 PM
Also anxious to hear of your results. Cost/longevity aside, if it works, it might be a nice compromise for some.

QuickCln
01-22-2016, 05:43 PM
yes sir, I think I would stick with the most durable sealant I have which is probably nu finish. I think I also have one of meguars glaze.

If I had to choose, I think a silicone based sealant would be the best choice, since its similar to the sio2 glass coatings (correct me if im wrong).

Also, theres a sealant on amazon ($15) that is "chemically charged" to bond to paint better, which sounds like it might also bond to a glass coating better as well.

if I were willing to wait for the shipping, wolf gang sells a shine & glaze (no longer in the u.s. must buy from overseas via ebay) and this product is specifically designed to be a sublayer to nano coatings. It sits ontop of the paint to add gloss and hide defects and it also bonds to the glass coating. This is what the guy on dw used with cquartz.

Finally, you could just order to the kamikaze clear coat for 100 bucks, but you also need a felt wheel to apply it using a da, which they sell for another 30 bucks... too expensive for me.

vobro
01-22-2016, 06:07 PM
Have you heard of Car Pro Essence?

QuickCln
01-22-2016, 06:11 PM
wow thats exactly what im looking for. thanks! this thread was worth posting.