PDA

View Full Version : Sorry! Headlight question #8,433

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Honcho
01-22-2016, 04:29 PM
My HIDs aren't yellow, faded, cloudy or in really bad shape. (At least I don't think so.) Anyhoo...they are kinda "hazy" with some light scratches. Kinda like someone rubbed on them too hard. How would you approach this? I keep hearing Mike Phillips in my head saying, "Use the least aggressive method, first." So what's the least aggressive method(s)?

dcjredline
01-22-2016, 04:40 PM
Cleaner wax with soft pad like white LC.

Setec Astronomy
01-22-2016, 07:17 PM
Try a light polish and see if that cleans them up.

g35_coupe
01-22-2016, 10:30 PM
I would go with an orange pad/polish then top with a good wax.

AZpolisher15
01-23-2016, 12:27 AM
Would Meguires #10/#17 be appropriate? Maybe someone else can jump in. A light application of PlastX on a foam pad would certainly clean them up. That's probably where I would start. Likely could do it by hand.

Mike Honcho
01-23-2016, 06:06 AM
Lots of great ideas!

FUNX650
01-23-2016, 09:41 AM
My HIDs aren't yellow, faded, cloudy or in
really bad shape. (At least I don't think so.)

...they are kinda "hazy" with some light scratches.
Kinda like someone rubbed on them too hard.

I keep hearing Mike Phillips in my head saying,
"Use the least aggressive method, first."

How would you approach this?
So what's the least aggressive method(s)?

The UV-resistant Coating that's originally
applied to OEMs' polycarbonate lenses is
generally very, very thin: ~1mil/25microns.

Accordingly:
It would seem that using any type of an
abrasive/abrasive process on this Coating
would, in effect, be removing---at the very
least---some measure of this all-important
UV protection.

So...IMO:
Since your headlamps' lenses UV-resistant Coating
hasn't been severely compromised through either
mechanical or "photon-weathering" means...

I'll suggest that Plexus, or one of its ilk,
would be the least aggressive product
for your current lens-scenario.

Bob

Mike Honcho
01-23-2016, 09:57 AM
Oh...never heard of that stuff, Bob! Thanks!

AZpolisher15
01-23-2016, 03:51 PM
Oh...never heard of that stuff, Bob! Thanks!

Plexus is the most effective plsatic polish available for cleaning, protecting,and polishing all kinds of plastic. plexus, plexus plastic (http://www.autogeek.net/plexus-plastic-polish.html)

Eldorado2k
01-23-2016, 10:31 PM
@Mike Honcho. What year is your car and have you taken any preventative measures such as applying sealant/wax/headlight protectant in the past?

The Guz
01-23-2016, 10:35 PM
Would Meguires #10/#17 be appropriate? Maybe someone else can jump in. A light application of PlastX on a foam pad would certainly clean them up. That's probably where I would start. Likely could do it by hand.

Give that combo a try. If not then move up to a light polish.

Eldorado2k
01-23-2016, 10:39 PM
Would using Meguiars Plastx remove the original UV coating?

AZpolisher15
01-24-2016, 12:22 AM
Would using Meguiars Plastx remove the original UV coating?

In my experience, PlastX can be very effective in some cases, yet pretty mild in abrading ability. We just went after my brothers headlights on his 2008 4Runner. They were just beginning to get foggy on the top edge and slightly swirly on the fronts like the OP's. My bro had the same fear as the OP- didn't want to compromise the OEM UV coating.

We scrubbed by hand pretty hard with PlastX and terry cloth, and barely put a dent in the cloudiness on the top edge, although it is somewhat improved. I attribute the improvement primarily to polishing oils.

We then used a Megs yellow foam pad and very lightly buffed the front of the lenses and also saw a slight improvement.

All said and done, I really doubt we took off much of the UV coating. And if we did take some off, it was likely the oxidized bits of "failure". My thoughts on this are that you're better off removing a little "failure" and having a smooth surface which you can then keep sealed. As opposed to having an oxidized surface that accumulates grime in the recesses and continue to oxidize.

It is what it is. Choose a direction and run :) I'm not sure there's a "best" answer. But there are ways to improve the appearance.

As far as "least aggressive method" goes, I think the OP would probably be happy simply hitting it with something like Megs headlight protectant.

But PlastX also has a sealing component to it, and one can get very aggressive or simply wipe it on and wipe off-- That certainly wouldn't compromise any UV coating. Or you can go anywhere in between as far as buffing goes. You can basically go ZERO to 60 with it. Use a DA and you can go 90.

AZpolisher15
01-24-2016, 12:26 AM
I'll add- you can't feel any abrasives in PlastX. I can say with certainty they're not going to look "worse" after PlastX, assuming you use an appropriate applicator and pressure. I really think a very light application would improve the OPs lenses considerably and not compromise the UV coating.

An even less aggressive approach- just wipe down with 303 after washes. Sort of like "moisturizing" the lenses. Short lived, but it works.

Eldorado2k
01-24-2016, 01:37 AM
But PlastX also has a sealing component to it

I've never heard/known of Plastx having anykind of sealing capabilities. I always figured it didn't since it's paired with Megs Headlight Protectant in a kit..

An even less aggressive approach- just wipe down with 303 after washes. Sort of like "moisturizing" the lenses. Short lived, but it works.

What specific 303 product are you talking about?
I'd recommend Meguiars Headlight Protectant for this sort of use.