PDA

View Full Version : Is this a forgiveable sin?

Pages : [1] 2

wn1998
01-22-2016, 07:56 AM
Hi, My name is joe and sometimes during a cold and long winter I get lazy and go through a regular (non touchless) car wash. (GASP)

I feel the silver color of my jetta hides swirls pretty well and I will use some HD speed in the spring and go back to the foam cannon two bucket Bi-weekly washes.

Am I a bad person? I mean, it is only a 2014 jetta.....

Setec Astronomy
01-22-2016, 08:02 AM
No, you're not a bad person.

Do you have a garage that stays above freezing? If so you might try a rinseless wash in there.

Showtime
01-22-2016, 08:17 AM
I find myself using a touchless wash from time to time myself, even in South Florida, just because "the cobblers kids have holes in their shoes". I don't have enough time to detail my own cars anymore with the business!

(but both my cars are coated with Nanohide, so the car wash can't do any damage to them :) they still look great!)

wn1998
01-22-2016, 08:22 AM
I do have a garage but waiting for the heater to get it to temp and filling the bucket and going outside takes so much time. Sometimes I get lazy. I have gone to the local carwash 3 times this winter. I drive home garage the car and give it a quick aquawax spray and wipe down

Setec Astronomy
01-22-2016, 08:29 AM
Hey, you do what you gotta do, no big deal.

KB in MD
01-22-2016, 08:32 AM
Hi, My name is joe and sometimes during a cold and long winter I get lazy and go through a regular (non touchless) car wash. (GASP)

I feel the silver color of my jetta hides swirls pretty well and I will use some HD speed in the spring and go back to the foam cannon two bucket Bi-weekly washes.

no scratches from this? :nomore:

BillE
01-22-2016, 08:35 AM
I say, thank goodness for the 'touchless'!

Run thru, then use Meguiar's 'Wash and Wax Anywhere' and all is good with the world.

Winters here can be just brutal...that's about I can do it.

Bill

wn1998
01-22-2016, 08:45 AM
no scratches from this? :nomore:
probably just some minor swirls. Nothing too bad from what I have seen but that's my point. Is it really worth it for a daily driver? I can probably get my car back to 85% with a few passes of HD speed.

LSNAutoDetailing
01-22-2016, 10:32 AM
Doing nothing would be worse. Get that salt and sand off!

Just stick to the touch less, you'll be fine.

trashmanssd
01-22-2016, 11:12 AM
I do same sometimes, winter is just pure evil and sometimes you have to fight evil with evil. Its a daily driver I don't fret over it like a garage queen.

TTQ B4U
01-22-2016, 12:41 PM
I would do a touchless personally but whatever you can live with I suppose. My cars are black and while they pick up some minor marring, a brush wash would be horrible for it.
Nearly anything can be fixed, but I want to be able to hit it quickly with polish and a white pad and have the swirls, etc. come right out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

MattPersman
01-22-2016, 12:56 PM
I do it every year I have a car wash at my work. Just hit with speed or whatever the next spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FinishingTouchA
01-22-2016, 12:56 PM
I vote for touchless then dry with a waterless wash product. A swirl-o-matic puts more than light swirls in the paint. Just one wash can instill scratches deep enough to require compounding, not just HD Speed. If it doesn't bother you then don't worry about it... but I don't see any reason to do a 2 bucket wash in the summer if you're going to subject it to this kind of abuse in the winter ;)

GSKR
01-22-2016, 03:23 PM

You wouldn't catch me slaving over a car in 30 degree weather.

tapp1
01-22-2016, 04:25 PM
I say, thank goodness for the 'touchless'!

Run thru, then use Meguiar's 'Wash and Wax Anywhere' and all is good with the world.

Winters here can be just brutal...that's about I can do it.

Bill

I take the same approach. My method is :

Pump sprayer filled with D114 diluted .5 oz to 64 oz water to pre-soak car before entering bay
EcoTouch wheel cleaner on wheels & tires before entering bay
D115 diluted 4:1 and several edgeless MF towels to wipe down car after wash