PDA

View Full Version : Metal coatings?

Phimp27
01-21-2016, 11:41 PM
I have a 2016 Ford Fusion Energi. The grill is I think a chrome coating. What can I use to protect this. I was thinking DLUX but it seems to give sort of a rainbow effect to the metal. I have all the Black label coatings. Should I use one of those for the chrome?

OTSDetail
01-21-2016, 11:45 PM
It's like a fake chrome plated plastic I thought. Not metal. Maybe I'm wrong though. Mainly basing my opinion on the fact that a lot of newer fords don't have a metal grille.

Wax does work though. Probably not the best solution. Got a pic of what the DLux is doing? That was gonna be my first suggestion to use, but never heard of it causing a rainbow effect...

Huot25
01-21-2016, 11:57 PM
It's like a fake chrome plated plastic I thought.

:iagree:

I used to work for a ford dealership and those grills were chrome clad plastic (at least they were a few years ago). Maybe some of the higher Packages on the F150 might have a metal grill, but I don't think those do either.

Phimp27
01-22-2016, 12:15 AM
Yeah I think it's the fake chrome. I'm almost positive it is. I don't have a pic but while I was coating my trim with DLUX I got a little on the fake chrome. It made the rainbow effect like when it rains and you can see where there has been oil on the ground.

I was thinking just waxing it but I would like a coating better.

AGOatemywallet
01-22-2016, 12:16 AM
I was thinking DLUX but it seems to give sort of a rainbow effect to the metal.

Did you follow the instructions for application on non-pebble grained surfaces ?

It should not "rainbow" if applied and buffed out after it flashes.

Apply using the same techniques you would for applying a paint coating

GSKR
01-22-2016, 07:09 AM
Personally I wouldn't apply that with the exception of the paint itself.every week it seems people are trying to remove it either on glass or trim.Dont give yourself a headache and just apply it to paint.

zmcgovern45
01-22-2016, 08:11 AM
HydrO2! quickest and easiest way to protect all those awkward, intircate areas like grilles, wheels, etc.

DBAILEY
01-22-2016, 11:10 AM
I put Gtechniq C1 & EXO on all parts the grill of my 2013 Ford Taurus including the chromed parts. Its working fine and looks normal.

I think the BL coatings will work fine too.

It could be the restorative element of DLUX that is not being absorbed into the plastic like normal that is giving you the rainbow effect as it sits on top.

Phimp27
01-22-2016, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll try the BL coating on a small piece to see how it looks first.

ducksfan
01-22-2016, 05:31 PM
HydrO2! quickest and easiest way to protect all those awkward, intircate areas like grilles, wheels, etc.

Good idea, thanks.