PDA

View Full Version : How to remove these watermarks from the lens?

Pages : [1] 2

acefreakz
01-20-2016, 09:13 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160120/28d3063d2fcb01e1df3a526589b91f7b.jpg

These seems to be crazy marks lol. I am not confident to polish/sand them off, it would be easy if they are on the lens.

Maybe someone can suggest a way to fix them? I tried distilled vinegar and clay, no good still =(

By the way it's a range rover.

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

Setec Astronomy
01-20-2016, 09:22 AM
Is that an exposed piece of trim when the hood is closed? Klasse AIO is pretty good for removing water spots, you might try that, be gentle at first to make sure nothing bad is happening.

acefreakz
01-20-2016, 09:42 AM
Is that an exposed piece of trim when the hood is closed? Klasse AIO is pretty good for removing water spots, you might try that, be gentle at first to make sure nothing bad is happening.
Yup. Hand polish? I just tried hand polish with M105, they are untouchable lol. Sad! Also tried machine polish, the space just too tight to be effective at all. With the aggressiveness from M105, I doubt Klasse can be useful here...

Setec Astronomy
01-20-2016, 10:12 AM
KAIO is a chemical cleaner that seems to have some chemical effect on water spots. You could try one of the (stronger than vinegar) water spot removers:

CarPro Spotless Water Spot Remover (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-spotless-water-spot-remover.html)

Duragloss Water Spot Remover (WSR) #505 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-water-spot-remover.html)

Optimum MDR Mineral Deposit Remover 32 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-mdr-mineral-deposit-remover.html)

acefreakz
01-20-2016, 10:21 AM
Mm I can't get these products locally lol. Am doomed xd . Think I may have to pass fixing this as I have to deliver the car by Friday haha *facepalm*

acefreakz
01-20-2016, 10:26 AM
'WSR will not remove water spots that have etched into paint or glass.'

Mm I have read the products description, they seems to be no good for edged watermarks eh?

Setec Astronomy
01-20-2016, 10:28 AM
First of all that's not a painted surface (I don't think). You can get some chemicals locally somewhere that will dissolve water spots--if you're brave you can try some CLR or something of that ilk (please try a small spot first).

Just remember that any of these chemical methods need time to react (even vinegar) you can't just put them on and wipe them right off. That's why that Optimum MDR is a gel, so it stays where you put it.

acefreakz
01-20-2016, 10:30 AM
Noted. Tq bro for the suggestion!

Setec Astronomy
01-20-2016, 10:32 AM
If you have any acid wheel cleaner that will work, just please be very careful if you are using an ABF/HF wheel cleaner.

AliusPrime
01-20-2016, 10:37 AM
I am a little shocked a dab of polish didn't do the trick but if you cant get it off with a hand rub and compound, I second the CLR. I have used a 50/50 dilution with distilled water and CLR to remove water spots and mill fall out on entire cars without issue. I always recommend testing small spots to make sure but this should work well for your situation.

**** you must avoid all raw aluminum. CLR will tarnish raw aluminum very quickly.

sito
01-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Can CLR removes water spots?

acefreakz
01-20-2016, 10:45 AM
Can CLR removes water spots?
A quick read suggest yes, to remove the calcium content from hard water.

acefreakz
01-20-2016, 10:50 AM
I am a little shocked a dab of polish didn't do the trick but if you cant get it off with a hand rub and compound, I second the CLR. I have used a 50/50 dilution with distilled water and CLR to remove water spots and mill fall out on entire cars without issue. I always recommend testing small spots to make sure but this should work well for your situation.

**** you must avoid all raw aluminum. CLR will tarnish raw aluminum very quickly.
Will try to get this tmr. Also will try with acidic Wheel cleaner lol much work to be done! Thanks guys =)

FUNX650
01-20-2016, 11:00 AM
•My monitor isn't the best for analyzing photos...
-but it looks like possible dried water spots on the
inner surface of the polycarbonate lens.
-Difficult area to reach and repair.

•If not on the interior, then:
-Some sanding, followed by some compounding
and polishing steps, may be the best way to
"smooth-out" the exterior.

Bob

LEDetailing
01-20-2016, 01:30 PM
I used to use 3M's fine cut compound by hand on clear lens with good results. I'm not sure how abrasive 3m fine cut is compared to M105.

Is it possible the water or solution that caused the spots have deeply etched into the plastic?

as ^Bob^ mentioned you may have to wet sand.