PDA

View Full Version : Clear coat

othater
10-01-2007, 11:39 PM
A little question on clear coat turning white?

This is on a 94 toyota. The clear looks like its turning white, right on the hood.

What should I do? Sand and rub out.
I have a PC and some poorboy products that came as a kit.

Does this need a re-paint?

Thanks for any replies.

Rsurfer
10-02-2007, 01:00 AM

This is on a 94 toyota. The clear looks like its turning white, right on the hood.

Thanks for any replies.Sounds like you've gone thru the clear coat. Any pictures?

Tragu
10-02-2007, 06:13 AM
It is probably heavy oxidation I doubt that you went thru the clear with a DA I have been using mu UDM and I polished my trunk lid on my 325 at least 4 times to get rid of scratches and had no problem.

m4gician
10-02-2007, 11:24 AM

Thanks for any replies.

oxidation plus poor or novice polishing. Don't worry, it sound similar to wetsanding how it fades a finish, the most critical part after that is to use something like SSR2.5 (a poorboys polish) or somethign with diminishing abrasives to clear it up. Avoid compounding if you can help it.

ScottB
10-02-2007, 07:26 PM
It can be oxidation and/or clear coat failure. It was quite common in those years as most were trying newer water based clears and clears less harmful to environment and individual. Sometimes a repaint is in order.

othater
10-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I'm hoping for oxidation. I have a PC with orange and white pads, Poorboy SSR1, SSR2.5. Is that enough to start with?
Worst senario..if the clear failed..color sand and have a paint shop re-shoot clear or paint and clear coat?

supercharged
10-03-2007, 04:44 AM
sounds like oxidation or clearcoat failure...car sits outside 424/7 and is never waxed?

othater
10-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Very good supercharged,
It was garaged until about 5-6 years ago,
then outside it went when my son got his car.
The oldest car got pushed out.

StephenK
10-05-2007, 07:24 PM

Thanks for any replies.

what color is the car? it may be single stage paint. and if it is then its oxidation. my mom has a 96 corrolla that is red and it is single stage. toyota used single stage with black and red