PDA

View Full Version : Washer mod for Mark 11?

nova power
01-18-2016, 02:11 PM
Is the washer mod required for the mark 11 or did they fixed this problem?

Mike Phillips
01-18-2016, 02:23 PM
Is the washer mod required for the mark 11 or did they fixed this problem?

According to RUPES it's not technically a "problem" it's a design feature.

If you don't want the anti-spin shroud to drag against the backing plate like RUPES engineers designed it to then you can applies some light grease to the back of the backing plate, install a spacer washer or trim the shroud.

On this forum and in my how-to book I explain the function of the anti-spin shroud. I'm not sure how to "search" for it on the forum, (key words), in my book it's on pages 20 to 23.

:)

Zubair
01-18-2016, 03:40 PM
Its like a well known detailer on this forum told me, he doesn't drive his car with the e-brake on, neither will he with his polisher. I prefer the washer mod, increased rotation on every speed setting, faster cutting,less stalling. Never looked back.

SonOfOC
01-18-2016, 03:58 PM
Bad analogy from that detailer. Driving with e brake on can cause premature brake pad and/or failure. The Rupes was intentionally designed that way as a safety feature.

Its like a well known detailer on this forum told me, he doesn't drive his car with the e-brake on, neither will he with his polisher. I prefer the washer mod, increased rotation on every speed setting, faster cutting,less stalling. Never looked back.

custmsprty
01-18-2016, 04:29 PM
Oh no, here we go again. :doh:

For the record, I never did the washer mod on any of my three Rupes machines and I've been very happy with their performance.

RaskyR1
01-18-2016, 05:12 PM
Bad analogy from that detailer. Driving with e brake on can cause premature brake pad and/or failure. The Rupes was intentionally designed that way as a safety feature.

My analogy, and the point being the shroud slows rotation and robs correction power, much like driving around with the ebrake engaged on your car. The Rupes tools have been available for over 4 years now and to date I've not seen a single premature failure as a result of the washer mod, and I've been running mine that way since December 2012. However, if you like your polisher restricted then that's totally your choice and there is nothing wrong with that.

I also get it's a safety feature for people that lack common sense not to run the tool in free air, but I simply don't agree with it, nor do most the pros who use them. Also, for those who blow their pads out after each section a free spinning backing plate is ideal.

Included washer installed as soon as it came out of the bag. :D

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/D22E0EE8-7371-4330-99FC-462071416B07.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Raskyr1/media/D22E0EE8-7371-4330-99FC-462071416B07.jpg.html)

Rsurfer
01-18-2016, 05:19 PM
Oh no, here we go again. :doh:

For the record, I never did the washer mod on any of my three Rupes machines and I've been very happy with their performance.

You should try it, you might like it.:props:

7.3powerstroke
01-18-2016, 05:39 PM
I agree with Chad, when blowing out pads it nice to have a free spinning backing plate.

The machines work awesome, washer or not.

SonOfOC
01-18-2016, 07:31 PM
Chad, my point was Rupes intentionally designed it that way and not a flaw in the design. I too have washer mods on all Rupes 15, 21 and have sanded down the shroud on my Mark 2. (Thanks Zach!)

Along the lines discussed, it's like many of power saws and impact driver that have a brake to slow it down as soon as the trigger is released. I wish my grinders had a brake because I find myself holding it in the air for 5 second to let slow down...seems like an eternity when you are working.

My analogy, and the point being the shroud slows rotation and robs correction power, much like driving around with the ebrake engaged on your car. The Rupes tools have been available for over 4 years now and to date I've not seen a single premature failure as a result of the washer mod, and I've been running mine that way since December 2012. However, if you like your polisher restricted then that's totally your choice and there is nothing wrong with that.

I also get it's a safety feature for people that lack common sense not to run the tool in free air, but I simply don't agree with it, nor do most the pros who use them. Also, for those who blow their pads out after each section a free spinning backing plate is ideal.

Included washer installed as soon as it came out of the bag. :D