PDA

View Full Version : Removing solvent based tire shine before coating?

FinishingTouchA
01-16-2016, 12:24 PM
So I finally bought the DP tire coating... But I have a small problem.

I've applied a solvent based tire shine weekly now for about 5 months and I can't get it out of the tires. I've washed then 5 times with DP tire cleaner and degreaser as well and I can't seem to get them to stop beading water. Any ideas on how to properly prep these tires to be coated?http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160116/ace1d0fda5dc0c0a8d2901e13aded734.jpg

VeloNYC
01-16-2016, 12:32 PM
I just got Totally Awesome All Purpose Concentrated Cleaner trying to figure out what dilution to apply on coated tires.

Audios S6
01-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Tarminator is pretty effective, but will still probably take a couple applications and lots of rinsing. Be prepared to spend some time cleaning your brushes afterward

Setec Astronomy
01-16-2016, 04:26 PM
It seems to me people have said they've had to do 10 cleanings...seems people usually use some other cleaner first so they don't use up all the DP cleaner. Another thing is after you've got the beading to stop...let the tire "rest" for a couple of days to let some more dressing come to the surface...from what I understand getting a tire that you've used a solvent/oil-based dressing on for a long time can be quite a process to get it ready for coating.

FinishingTouchA
01-16-2016, 04:52 PM
It seems to me people have said they've had to do 10 cleanings...seems people usually use some other cleaner first so they don't use up all the DP cleaner. Another thing is after you've got the beading to stop...let the tire "rest" for a couple of days to let some more dressing come to the surface...from what I understand getting a tire that you've used a solvent/oil-based dressing on for a long time can be quite a process to get it ready for coating.

Yeah, I'm starting to think I might just clean them once a day for a couple weeks. I bought 2 16oz bottles so I could offer it as an option for correction/coating customers but now that I'm running into this I'm not sure haha.

Setec Astronomy
01-16-2016, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to think I might just clean them once a day for a couple weeks. I bought 2 16oz bottles so I could offer it as an option for correction/coating customers but now that I'm running into this I'm not sure haha.

It's an interesting question for you as to whether it's a good option to offer...with the combination of the potential difficulty of cleaning and a comeback if the coating peels, and whether it helps you or not with keeping your customers regular...do they come back for a wash when the tires start to look undressed? I'm just wondering if it's better for you to coat them and have the customer happy that the tires look better for longer--or if that's worse for you because they won't come back as often.

GSKR
01-16-2016, 05:38 PM

I've applied a solvent based tire shine weekly now for about 5 months and I can't get it out of the tires. I've washed then 5 times with DP tire cleaner and degreaser as well and I can't seem to get them to stop beading water. Any ideas on how to properly prep these tires to be coated?http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160116/ace1d0fda5dc0c0a8d2901e13aded734.jpg
They look good to me,I think the beading is from the rubber it's self not the tire solvent.

GSKR
01-16-2016, 05:42 PM

Take a white towel to them and see what is left on the tire.Its a indicator to see if there is still silicone left.

FinishingTouchA
01-16-2016, 06:04 PM
It's an interesting question for you as to whether it's a good option to offer...with the combination of the potential difficulty of cleaning and a comeback if the coating peels, and whether it helps you or not with keeping your customers regular...do they come back for a wash when the tires start to look undressed? I'm just wondering if it's better for you to coat them and have the customer happy that the tires look better for longer--or if that's worse for you because they won't come back as often.

I hardly do any maintenance washes. Now that you bring it up I think the coating might actually increase the amount of maintance washes I do. Say once the coating wears off they come in for tire coating, wash, and hydro2 application. I'd say every 4-6 months?

It's just that most of my customers aren't the "executive types" who value their time so much that they don't want to do the washes.

Brody
01-16-2016, 07:19 PM
My suggestion would be to use a solvent based (preferably containing mineral spirits) wax and grease remover product such as Prep-All(comes in a green and red gallon can). It's a body shop type of product that would be used for wiping a car down before it goes into paint.

We do a lot of wheel cosmetic touch ups for a local mercedes dealership on a mobile basis and occasionally we'll run into a car with three or four year old tires that have had layer after layer of silicone put on them to the point that I can take a plastic scraper and actually pull off a thick layer of hard/gel'd silicone. Generally I'll scrape off what I can, then start flooding the tire with prep-all and use a small brush to agitate it. We've tried all kinds of stuff over the years including higher end water based products that claim to be designed specifically for removing silicone and they can't hold a candle to the solvent based stuff we use. I don't even like using the solvent stuff because I hate smelling the fumes.

The Guz
01-16-2016, 07:58 PM
Here's my review on it. I posted what I heard back from Nick about tire preparation. I also have a link to a write up on how to remove DP tire coating

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/94342-review-dp-tire-coating-3.html

I used another tire cleaner to clean the tires and used the DP tire cleaner to follow that just to be sure.

I actually cleaned my tires weekly the second time and ran no tire dressings for a couple months.

VeloNYC
01-18-2016, 08:28 PM
I'm quite impressed with Totally Awesome All Purpose Concentrated Cleaner performance. I have Tuf Shine Permanent Tire Shine kit and TA foaming was on pair w/ TS tire cleaner. Cleaning ability was a little weaker since I diluted 1:8 but let it sit 3-4 min (longer than instructed). It took me about 5 rinses to get brown suds. I park on the street and a lot tire curb rash, so I need to re apply Tuf Shine coating every 2-3 months.