PDA

View Full Version : Metro Sidekick vs Chemical Guys VX6

Pages : [1] 2

OTSDetail
01-15-2016, 05:03 PM
Anyone have any opinions for either? Looking to pick one up.

Tired of using waffle weaves to dry vehicles. I've always wanted the sidekick due to the compactness of it, but the short cord is a negative. Not a huge deal since I can use an extension cord anyways, but still a negative.

The VX6, however, has a longer cord, adjustable speed settings (not a huge deal), and is a better price overall. Currently on sale for $45.

Anyone have an opinions as to either? Still leaning towards the Sidekick as that's what I have always wanted, but the VX6 seems to be a REALLY viable option and the price really can't be beat.

VISITOR
01-15-2016, 05:52 PM
Without question the sidekick. I have a blower similiar to the cg's without the variable speed and its obvious which one is of better quality...

Rsurfer
01-15-2016, 05:59 PM
If your going to use a blower to dry a car, get a leaf blower. The Sidekick is fine for nooks and crannies, but not to dry the whole car.

If you can afford it, get the Metro Blower with heated air.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
01-15-2016, 06:01 PM
If your going to use a blower to dry a car, get a leaf blower. The Sidekick is fine for nooks and crannies, but not trying to dry the whole car.

What he said , 100% accurate.

For nooks n crannies buy he cg one

For the whole car just buy a regular electric leaf blower

OTSDetail
01-15-2016, 07:43 PM
I'm sure it might be better to buy a regular leaf blower, but I'm looking for something that's a little more budget friendly.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
01-15-2016, 07:45 PM
I'm sure it might be better to buy a regular leaf blower, but I'm looking for something that's a little more budget friendly.

Look on craigslist or offer up

Lots of great deals I'm more then sure you can find a great condition leaf blower dirt cheap

custmsprty
01-15-2016, 07:49 PM

What's more budget friendly than a leaf blower?

Joe@NextLevelDetail
01-15-2016, 08:01 PM

I was thinking the same the range from 30-75

OTSDetail
01-15-2016, 08:11 PM

I was thinking the same the range from 30-75

Exactly. If I could pick up a quality electric blower for ~$50 or so, I would be happy. Not sure if I will even end up using it as much as I think I will so I can't justify spending $200+ on a quality electric blower.

JamMaster Jay
01-15-2016, 08:26 PM
I got my leaf blower for $37 & Lowes. It works great for the entire car. JM2C

Audios S6
01-15-2016, 08:38 PM
I have the VX6. Use it frequently. It will push water halfway across the car's roof. If you reach halfway across the roof, then it will push nearly all the water off the car. This is assuming that the car has a decent LSP. I doubt any electric blower will take a sheet of water off a car.

I will blow out panel seems, but i still wipe down all the jambs, just so they stay clean.

It actually has quite a bit more power than the similar sized $20 models you can buy at the big box stores, but you are going to run it at the highest setting all the time anyway. It's probably just a touch louder than the average electric leaf blower.

I did use electrical tape to secure the nozzle, it fell off many times during use at first, haven't had an issue since taping it.

The nozzle is a nice, relatively soft rubber.

In general, they are not the most ergonomic. I find myself holding it in very weird positions to blow water where I want it to go. I don't think any blower would be different though.

Not considering the DP turbo dryer for a pinch more money?

OTSDetail
01-16-2016, 05:00 PM
Not considering the DP turbo dryer for a pinch more money?

Would rather have a 1 handed operation for it. just for convenience factor.

swanicyouth
01-16-2016, 05:45 PM
I hardly ever use a blower to dry anything anymore. I just do a final rinse with DI water and park the car in the garage overnight.

Next day do a quick wipe down with a spray wax & your good.

Lazy man method.

OTSDetail
01-16-2016, 05:55 PM
I hardly ever use a blower to dry anything anymore. I just do a final rinse with DI water and park the car in the garage overnight.

Next day do a quick wipe down with a spray wax & your good.

Lazy man method.

Doesn't really work when you're trying to run a business haha. Can't just have cars sitting around!

austinz
01-18-2016, 09:49 PM
I use my sidekick for drying the entire vehicle after Hydro2 and it works great! I use an extension cord and a 6' hose. I hold the sidekick in my left hand and run the hose behind my back to my right hand to dry from the roof down. Works well - full size suv takes 10 min tops at a leisurely pace including wheels and underhood. Totally dry no dripping.