PDA

View Full Version : Washing MF's with Megs APC

Pages : [1] 2

willowcat11
01-15-2016, 12:23 AM
Hey guys.

I currently don't have a dedicated MF cleaner at this time. I'm actually waiting for 3D Towel Kleen to comeback in stock, since so many of you have recommended this product.

So what I have been doing is washing my MF's with Megs APC. I figured it would breakdown the wax, compounds, and sealants good. So far it has been cleaning them pretty good.

Is this not a good Idea, like could the APC have an ill effect on the MF's?

Does anyone else use this?

Thanks!

Ray

TuxedoTaurus
01-15-2016, 07:18 AM
I personally would not use Megs D101 as it says it contains fabric softeners. Which is not good for MF. How much it contains, I don't know. I wouldn't risk it.

3D towel kleen is great, you can also use a quality free and clear laundry detergent.

Setec Astronomy
01-15-2016, 09:31 AM
I personally would not use Megs D101 as it says it contains fabric softeners. Which is not good for MF. How much it contains, I don't know. I wouldn't risk it.

I don't know if that's the same kind of "softeners" found in laundry fabric softeners; I wouldn't have too much hesitation using M101 for washing MF's...except it foams so much I'd be worried about having a laundry room full of foam...

willowcat11
01-15-2016, 03:31 PM
Thanks for your helpful post guys. You bring up a great point. Since I had just done a load of MF''s, I'm going to take several of them and clean all the mirrors in my house. That way hopefully, I can see if there is any smearing or left over residue left behind. I had to clean the house anyway. I'll post what happens.

Thanks and take care!

Ray

JamMaster Jay
01-15-2016, 08:29 PM
I've been soaking mine in the M101, then wringing them out before washing with Tide free & clear. So far no problems with them.

BrutalNoodle
01-15-2016, 08:38 PM
I got lazy one day and left all my towels in the leftover D114 rinseless solution, and they came out better than when I soak them in apc. I guess being fantastic cleaner; the way it releases dirt from the wash media doesn't come as a surprise.

Going to do it again just to make sure what happened wasn't just a fluke. lol

pheerix
01-15-2016, 10:08 PM
How do you guys wash MF applicators soaked and caked with polish/compound? I soaked in Microrestore, scrubbed with my hands and machine washed and they still came out smelling like polish.

conman1395
01-15-2016, 11:40 PM
How do you guys wash MF applicators soaked and caked with polish/compound? I soaked in Microrestore, scrubbed with my hands and machine washed and they still came out smelling like polish.
I soak in a bucket of 3D Towel Kleen with a Grit Guard at the bottom and scrub on that. Then wring out and toss in the washer.

Eldorado2k
01-15-2016, 11:52 PM
@Willowcat. You mean washing them in APC only, instead of laundry detergent? I've never tried that.. I've pre soaked in APC prior to tossing them in the washer, but never replaced laundry soap with APC.

How much undiluted D101 do you add to the wash?

BrutalNoodle
01-15-2016, 11:57 PM

I've been meaning to try DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator. From what I hear, it may be the ticket out of the typical methods; apc, dawn, detergent, etc.

wytstang
01-16-2016, 12:00 AM
I use both Tide free&clear & megs apc to wash my towels, I just make sure to turn on the second rinse cycle. Never had an issue and they come out clean.

willowcat11
01-16-2016, 12:06 AM
@Willowcat. You mean washing them in APC only, instead of laundry detergent? I've never tried that.. I've pre soaked in APC prior to tossing them in the washer, but never replaced laundry soap with APC.

How much undiluted D101 do you add to the wash?

Well, I first put a small splash(I didn't measure) of APC(undiluted) into the bottom of a bucket filled with water and worked it up to a foam with my MF's in it. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Wrung them out, and tossed them all in the wash machine. Then put 2oz.(undiluted) more APC in the dispenser of the machine, and put it on extra rinse.

Overkill, ha?

Eldorado2k
01-16-2016, 12:08 AM
I soak in a bucket of 3D Towel Kleen with a Grit Guard at the bottom and scrub on that. Then wring out and toss in the washer.

That sounds like a good idea.👆🏽
I usually do a pre wash in a bucket w/grit guard using my normL car wash soap and it works well, but I bet using a bit of 3D Towel Kleen would work even better. I'll do that from now on. Thx for the tip.

That being said, I'm not sure if those applicators will ever come totally clean.. I have several applicators [foam/microfiber/terry] that I've used for applying dressing to weatherstripping, trim, even some that were used to apply leather cleaner/conditioner that have never gotten totally clean after washing. Good thing they're small and easily replaceable.

Eldorado2k
01-16-2016, 12:12 AM
Well, I first put a small splash(I didn't measure) of APC(undiluted) into the bottom of a bucket filled with water and worked it up to a foam with my MF's in it. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Wrung them out, and tossed them all in the wash machine. Then put 2oz.(undiluted) more APC in the dispenser of the machine, and put it on extra rinse.

Overkill, ha?

So no laundry detergent?

That's the thing, I've never known how much APC is adequate to handle a full washload of microfibers. How bout if 2oz. isn't nearly enough? That would suck. Lol. Which is why I've always stuck with laundry detergent, or these days dedicated microfiber detergent in the washing machine.

Do you have a grit guard for your bucket pre soak? If not, you oughta get 1. IMO the grit guard is useless for bucket washes, but valuable for pre washing microfiber towels in a bucket. That's the only time I use mine:)

conman1395
01-16-2016, 12:12 AM
That sounds like a good idea.👆🏽
I usually do a pre wash in a bucket w/grit guard using my normL car wash soap and it works well, but I bet using a bit of 3D Towel Kleen would work even better. I'll do that from now on. Thx for the tip.

That being said, I'm not sure if those applicators will ever come totally clean.. I have several applicators [foam/microfiber/terry] that I've used for applying dressing to weatherstripping, trim, even some that were used to apply leather cleaner/conditioner that have never gotten totally clean after washing. Good thing they're small and easily replaceable.
I only get my MF applicators at O'Reilly's and use a $5 off $5 coupon so a six pack ends up being less than a dollar.

Since I only use them for interior dressing I never have an issue with them not getting clean. Everything I apply to the exterior is either with a DA or suede pads.

I do the same thing when washing my black towels I use for rinseless washing my wheels, but I make sure to do it in my wheel bucket with its corresponding Grit Guard to prevent cross-contamination.