PDA

View Full Version : A Note on Engine Detailing

Pages : [1] 2 3

vanev
01-14-2016, 05:43 PM
I spoke with a neighbor of mine this morning.
He owns a black Cadillac STS Coupe.

The car always looks great, stays polished, etc...
I asked who takes care of his car.
He said a local mobile auto detailer on the side of town that he works.

He then stated that recently, one of the guys working with that auto detailer, detailed the engine bay.
A young kid, he said.
Soaked it with a degreaser, then used a pressure washer to hose it down.

Result:
Bye Bye electrical system.
$3000.00 to have fixed.
The auto detailer had no insurance.

GSKR
01-14-2016, 06:49 PM
Dang

ronkh57
01-14-2016, 07:02 PM
ooops

98LowRanger
01-14-2016, 07:05 PM
Was it blown dry after the pressure washing?? I know of some reputable shops that use that exact method, but they blow the engine dry after pressure washing it clean.

davidc
01-14-2016, 07:17 PM
Disconnecting Batteries and blow dry would probably avoided that, with emphasis on disconnecting batteries.

Dave

jcaustin87
01-14-2016, 09:00 PM
Id say the pressure washer was the culprit here

custmsprty
01-14-2016, 09:09 PM
I spoke with a neighbor of mine this morning.
He owns a black Cadillac STS Coupe.

The car always looks great, stays polished, etc...
I asked who takes care of his car.
He said a local mobile auto detailer on the side of town that he works.

He then stated that recently, one of the guys working with that auto detailer, detailed the engine bay.
A young kid, he said.
Soaked it with a degreaser, then used a pressure washer to hose it down.

Result:
Bye Bye electrical system.
$3000.00 to have fixed.
The auto detailer had no insurance.

I've washed my own vehicles engines that way for over 20 years and still do and have never had an issue, never had an electrical issue.

usmcpab
01-14-2016, 09:22 PM
Same here, I've pressure washed my engine bays as well and I've never had a problem. I feel like new cars are made so delicate nowadays. So much tech in the that something bound do go bad. Nowadays though I lightly steam clean the small bits of build that I do get.

7.3powerstroke
01-14-2016, 09:58 PM
OP, you know the year of the car?

expdetailing
01-14-2016, 10:01 PM
Using a power washer on an engine just seams like throwing caution in the wind, no matter who has done it X-amount of times safely.

Desertnate
01-15-2016, 09:09 AM
I've done the same thing for a long time too.

I wonder how the engine was power washed? I can't help but wonder if the guy shoved the wand down in the open areas and went at it.

I'll always stand back a little to ensure the full force of the power washer isn't driving moisture into bad places or run the risk of things getting damaged/disconnected.

Matt@Revive
01-15-2016, 09:17 AM
i use a pressure washer for engine bays, but i have been a technician for 10 years now and know what to avoid. i saw seen a ton of head PCMs and alternators do to water damage.

GSKR
01-15-2016, 09:26 AM
i use a pressure washer for engine bays, but i have been a technician for 10 years now and know what to avoid. i saw seen a ton of head PCMs and alternators do to water damage. I just picked up a exclusive corvette dealer,and I made it clear I don't wash engines.He completely understands,those of you who detail a few cars on the side your risk factor is minimal.Details guys who do this everyday stay away from engines not worth it as shown here.

jarred767
01-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Why even use a pressure washer? Is it really necessary? If you take your time and use degreasers and brushes, a simple soak down (while avoiding things like the alternator) should be more than enough. I'be never had an issue this way and customers are always more than happy.

OP, do you happen to know if he was working on a hot engine?

Matt@Revive
01-15-2016, 09:34 AM
I just picked up a exclusive corvette dealer,and I made it clear I don't wash engines.He completely understands,those of you who detail a few cars on the side your risk factor is minimal.Details guys who do this everyday stay away from engines not worth it as shown here.

most engines can take a light hose of(they are designed to withstand rain storms), when 2500psi gets involved the whether sealing no longer keep the water out. a good APC light brushing and and light rinse will get most engines clean enough for customer satisfaction.

when it comes to dressing i always apply it with a rag. dressing on a belt can ruin them and cause a god awful squeel that will go away if you are lucky, or you could be paying to replace the belts for the customer.