PDA

View Full Version : Glass Cleaner Ingredients?

willowcat11
01-14-2016, 04:21 PM
I know that currently, we have quite a number of really good glass cleaners on the market for detailing. I've often wondered what the ingredients are in these good automotive kinds that makes them work so effectively? Are they all using very similar ingredients, or do some differ greatly?

I've tried looking for ingredient descriptions on each kinds bottle, but rarely see anything at all, or some things I don't understand.

Does anyone know if these types of glass cleaners are pretty similar in what they contain, or do they all take a different angle(ingredient wise) to get the same job done.

1. Stoners
2. DP Krystal Vision
3. Megs D102

Thanks all!

Ray

vanev
01-14-2016, 04:51 PM
The place to start would be the MSDS sheets for each separate glass cleaner.
This will not list all the ingredients, though sometimes it can as glass cleaners can be incredibly simple products.
What it will give you is a list of the chemicals involved, at least those listed as hazardous and their percentage amounts.

MSDS sheets can offer more insight than you may think, as some brand manufactures will offer more information than is sometimes required.
You can also get a read on the percentage amount of water and color additive, as well as scent additive.
What I found is that when it comes to many cleaning products, glass or other, there is often very little actual cleaning ingredient.
Typically beween 1% - and 5%.
Even then, dilluting down is recommended, and you can often end up with a great cleaning product, that has a fraction of 1% of actual cleaning chemical, often referred to as a surfactant.

Most cleaning products typically go like this.
80% + water.
10% color and scent additive.
1% - 3% surfactant.
1% - 3% assistant chemical to surfactant.
1% - 3% flash chemical.
1% Miscellaneous.

While it may appear that glass cleaners, or other cleaning products may all be the same, or offer the same performance, that I can tell is you is far from the case.
Results can be dramatically different from one product to the next.
Some offering outstanding performance, others offering very poor performance.
Some cleaning products can offer crossover applications, and function as a mutli surface cleaner, while other products in the same category, can offer no crossover application.

Canada Government MSDS Description:
https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/legisl/msdss.html
What is a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)?
A Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) is a document that contains information on the potential hazards (health, fire, reactivity and environmental) and how to work safely with the chemical product.
It is an essential starting point for the development of a complete health and safety program.
It also contains information on the use, storage, handling and emergency procedures all related to the hazards of the material. The MSDS contains much more information about the material than the label.
MSDSs are prepared by the supplier or manufacturer of the material.
It is intended to tell what the hazards of the product are, how to use the product safely, what to expect if the recommendations are not followed, what to do if accidents occur, how to recognize symptoms of overexposure, and what to do if such incidents occur.