PDA

View Full Version : First thoughts on the Rupes LHR 15

Pages : [1] 2

HateSwirls
01-13-2016, 07:37 PM
I received it early this morning, just in time to perform a full paint correction on a black GMC
I wasn't sure if I'd get in time so I had my Flex 3401 setup.

The very first thing I noticed was how nice it looks, lots of style, not that it's important but it did get my attention.
Very well balanced and not too heavy.
Long cord
Great backing plate

So how did it perform for me?

Wow, really, I was blown away after just working on panel.
No vibration , easy to control, even with one hand.
Plenty of power
No bogging down as I've read, it's all about keeping the pad flat, even with good pressure the pad continued to spin.
Corrected the entire truck without feeling pain in my arms, unlike my Flex 3401
I was very surprised as to how fast it removed the defects.
So is it better than the Flex 3401?
Overall no but I plan on using the Rupes more than my Flex.

Now I'm waiting on my Rupes pads.
My lead detailed didn't get to try it because I was having fun using it.

No plans to do the washer mod.

It's great machine, well worth the money.
Fast shipping by Palm Beach Motoring

WaxMaster1
01-13-2016, 07:57 PM
Wondering if you got the new MKII or the original one.

HateSwirls
01-13-2016, 08:29 PM
Wondering if you got the new MKII or the original one.

It's the LHR.
Not sure how to identify the difference.

Mantilgh
01-13-2016, 08:44 PM
I guess you have been out for a while. Rupes updated both the 15 and the 21. There have been a couple of threads on it. They are still at preorder stage so you must have the previous Mark I.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/96461-pre-order-rupes-lhr-15-21-markii-polishers.html

Did you miss the hearing about the new Nano iBrid too.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rupes-bigfoot-oribital-polishers/96448-next-revolution-bigfoot-nano-w-ibrid-technology.html

Rupes=new technology

craigdt
01-13-2016, 10:54 PM
When you say that overall, it's not as good, can you specify areas that the 3401 is better?

Calendyr
01-14-2016, 05:42 AM
I received it early this morning, just in time to perform a full paint correction on a black GMC
I wasn't sure if I'd get in time so I had my Flex 3401 setup.

The very first thing I noticed was how nice it looks, lots of style, not that it's important but it did get my attention.
Very well balanced and not too heavy.
Long cord
Great backing plate

So how did it perform for me?

Wow, really, I was blown away after just working on panel.
No vibration , easy to control, even with one hand.
Plenty of power
No bogging down as I've read, it's all about keeping the pad flat, even with good pressure the pad continued to spin.
Corrected the entire truck without feeling pain in my arms, unlike my Flex 3401
I was very surprised as to how fast it removed the defects.
So is it better than the Flex 3401?
Overall no but I plan on using the Rupes more than my Flex.

Now I'm waiting on my Rupes pads.
My lead detailed didn't get to try it because I was having fun using it.

No plans to do the washer mod.

It's great machine, well worth the money.
Fast shipping by Palm Beach Motoring

I felt the exact same way when I first tried the Rupes 21ES. Mine was washer moded and I replaced the original backing plate by the one thst is used on the 15 (5 inch one).

This machine is awesome. I have never tried the Flex but in Doyle's book he talks about having to fight the machine because it always tried to get away from you ;) I did not want that so that is why I chose the Rupes 21. I love it every time I use it. I suspect you will too ;)

HateSwirls
01-14-2016, 07:15 AM
When you say that overall, it's not as good, can you specify areas that the 3401 is better?

When I said the Flex is better overall is because......

The forced rotation corrects like no other machine out there.
It's impossible to bog it down no matter how much pressure you bare down on it.
The Flex can correct even the worst clears without leaving behind swirls, also works well for polishing.

That being said I still stand correct when I say the Rupes 15 is by far the most friendly D.A I've ever used.

Bottom line if your in the detailing business is both are needed.

HateSwirls
01-14-2016, 07:18 AM
I guess you have been out for a while. Rupes updated both the 15 and the 21. There have been a couple of threads on it. They are still at preorder stage so you must have the previous Mark I.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/96461-pre-order-rupes-lhr-15-21-markii-polishers.html

Did you miss the hearing about the new Nano iBrid too.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rupes-bigfoot-oribital-polishers/96448-next-revolution-bigfoot-nano-w-ibrid-technology.html

Rupes=new technology

Yes I've been out of it for a while now.
Since opening my own detail shop for over a year ago keeps me very busy, less time for reading like I once did.

I'll check out the links you posted, thanks.

HateSwirls
01-14-2016, 07:23 AM
I felt the exact same way when I first tried the Rupes 21ES. Mine was washer moded and I replaced the original backing plate by the one thst is used on the 15 (5 inch one).

This machine is awesome. I have never tried the Flex but in Doyle's book he talks about having to fight the machine because it always tried to get away from you ;) I did not want that so that is why I chose the Rupes 21. I love it every time I use it. I suspect you will too ;)

It doesn't take long to learn how to use the Flex.
I've never had any issues of it walking on me, I guess using a high speed rotary for over 30 years helped.
Only problem for me using the Flex is it takes a toll on my body, in fact I had to stop using it for months to allow my right arm to heal.
Rotating counter clock wise is what makes it more difficult to use than other machines but that's why for the great paint correction.
Well engineered unit.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-14-2016, 08:25 AM
FWIW, the Mark II 15 is much more powerful than the LHR15

dlc95
01-14-2016, 09:25 AM
That's awesome! Glad to hear it's easier on the body for ya.

Because you use your machines almost daily, remember to keep some dielectric grease handy. The anti-spin shroud needs to stay lubricated, and will a need to be re-greased after a thorough cleaning, or about 20 hours of use. Don't over do it though, or else you'll have a huge mess.

I apply the grease lightly to the plate, and wipe off the excess with a paper towel. I use the paper towel because it's not too absorbent, and leaves enough grease behind. From there I'll turn it on somewhere away from the work area, and let it free spin for a minute. Then, if it needs another swipe with the paper towel.

SSgt93
01-14-2016, 02:46 PM
There are several places that have the new Mark II's in stock. I've been watching here hoping to pick up a kit, but am about to pull the trigger as I have work that needs to be done now.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
01-14-2016, 03:33 PM
I love the flex however I use it as a compliment to the long throw da.

It is so much harder and by that I mean on the body, the flex drives you, as you drive the long throw da.

On a open panel that is no concave or hard for the long throw to spin , the 21 will correct faster the the 3401 while being more comfortable from my own experiences.

Dylan@RUPES
01-14-2016, 05:10 PM
Glad to hear you are liking the LHR15ES so far. Great tool... actually spent a little time with one today on a small project. Have fun and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

7.3powerstroke
01-14-2016, 06:44 PM
My Mark II 15 just arrived today. Cant wait to try it out